Chris's Books and Further Insights

General discussions relating to the story.
ClimberGuy

Chris's Books and Further Insights

Postby ClimberGuy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:30 am

Here is a portion of the story that I am sure no one has heard of before, in relation to Chris and the books he brought with him to the bus.:

While it may be that Chris brought a number of books with him and wrote in them for diary entries or general speculation, it is also well known around the Fairbanks, Alaska area that not all the books were the ones Chris brought out. A number of the books were brought out the previous winter by a then college student and still very much a climber/mountaineer by the name of Jeff Apple Benowitz. Jeff was then a student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and a developing climber who would take many trips into the Alaska range, many of them solo for mountaineering trips. This particular winter trip, Jeff went out climbing along and brought along reading material, including used books he had grabbed (sitting for hours in a weathered in tent, mountaineering trips require vast reading material). Jeff however got lost and never saw a soul for 16 or so days, until stumbling along the bus along the Stampede trail (from which he had entered weeks before) and used it to his advantage. He shed much of his pack weight to return to Parks Highway (the highway running from Fairbanks to Anchorage and one the Stampede is connected too) and get back to Fairbanks. Jeff not only left most of his books in the cabin but he also wrote in them as well. It was the following spring and summer of 1992 that the events that happened to Chris McCandless.

Not a lot of folks know of this portion of the story. If you believe I am lying, a quick google search of "Jeff Benowitz Into The Wild" will back my claim. How do I know this? I have attended the University of Alaska Fairbanks the last 4 years, where I study and have heard many takes on the Into The Wild story. Mr. Benowitz is one of my climber instructors, for he teaches the rock climbing courses for the school.

I hope this version makes people a little more aware of the story, if not sparks some folks imagination. :)

GoNorth

Re: Chris's Books and Further Insights

Postby GoNorth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Thank you very much. Actually I remember having read something similar somewhere before. That at least some of the books had already been in the bus before Chris arrived, but I don't remember where I read it.
Your information makes it more concrete now.

However:

ClimberGuy wrote: Jeff not only left most of his books in the cabin but he also wrote in them as well.

You think the notes in the books might have been from Jeff instead of Chris? Or a part of them? Very interesting, but it should also be (or have been) quite easy to see if it was Chris's handwriting or not, right?
Or Jeff might tell himself, what exactly he wrote into the books. ;)

Do you know which of the books were Jeff's?
I mean, hadn't Chris liked books from Thoreau and Tolstoy before he left? (as far as I remember, he had offered a Tolstoy book to Wayne). Probably some of the books had been brought in by Jeff and the others by Chris?

ClimberGuy

Postby ClimberGuy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Hey thanks! I'm quiet supprised someone replied so quickly. Thanks a bunch!

You think the notes in the books might have been from Jeff instead of Chris? Or a part of them?

I can not say for sure wiether or not for sure Jeff wrote a lot of what Chris has been taken credit for (even Jeff himself may not remember the facts from close to 20 years ago) but Jeff has mentioned a time or two semi-jokingly that Krakauer "psyco-analyzed" him. Jeff is an interesting guy in his own right, probably worthy of his own book of adventures.

Do you know which of the books were Jeff's?
I mean, hadn't Chris liked books from Thoreau and Tolstoy before he left? (as far as I remember, he had offered a Tolstoy book to Wayne). Probably some of the books had been brought in by Jeff and the others by Chris?

I don't think that Jeff brought in all the books that Chris wrote in or even possibly read. Chris most likely brought in his favorites, including Tolstoy and Thoreau. But it is also important that not all the books where not Chris and the possibility that some of the books were there before him. The bus was and still his heavily used by trappers in the area for shelter. Book could have also been left by them.

Hope that clears some stuff up :)

Kai Leather

Postby Kai Leather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:53 pm

I think its more then logic that there were already books or that someone brought em out, i dont know if you walked with a backpack before but if you hike for a long time your back is already full with stuff to survive adding books to it would make it to heavy to hike.
www.justkai.com
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Return to “General Discussions”