The Life Of A Vagabond

General discussions relating to the story.
naturelover24

The Life Of A Vagabond

Postby naturelover24 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:50 pm

how many of you want a life of a vagabond? a vagabond is someone like Chris, someone who didn't have a home, and traveled around, meeting people, getting money from odd jobs and continuing on traveling.... I WANNA BE ONE! SPREAD THAT PEACE IN LOVE TO A NATION!

naturelover24

Re: The Life Of A Vagabond

Postby naturelover24 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:31 am

anybody?? id love to here from y'all!! :) :) :) :) :)

shiva2009

Postby shiva2009 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Here In Oz,
I call myself a professional Bum! :D I work to get by, using the simple philosphy of only ever earning enough just to pay for the basics, food, shelter, etc... We manage & run a New Age Alternative Hippy Shop, but it doesnt run us! If we wish to paint or write, we do that instead of opening up shop. If the children need us to play or create, then thats what we do. If a customer cant afford to pay, we barter for food etc... Soon we will retreat and escape to our own Majik Bus & Train Carriage on our own slice of bushland to play, drum, twirl, dance, sing, & just be. Only to come out of hybernation to do the markets, or my volunteer nursing work O.S.
I am on the journey of being a proffessional Bum, we travel, we experience..
I wont have a large retirement fund to live off when I am old & grey, but I figure that my superannuation package when I completly reitire will be the experiences I have had in this life, the friends that I've made and the memories in my heart! And you just can't put a price on that!
Blessings - Del :D

camerer17

Postby camerer17 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 am

Upon seeing "Into the Wild" for the first time, I immediately wanted to leave behind everything and escape into the wilderness for a self relying adventure of my own. This world is so filled with material things and schedules are constantly being so full that we rarely find time to appreciate the calmness and beauty in nature. Their are many problems, troubles, and uncaring people in this world and it is no wonder that many people desire to escape the world in which we live. The early 19th century Transcendental poet Henry David Thoreau focused heavily on nature and self-reliance. In his writings, Thoreau focused heavily on individualism, the inherent goodness of man and nature, and the corruptness of society and government. At the age of 27, Thoreau decided to go into the woods and live in a small cabin near Walden Pond, Massachusetts, removed from society where he intended to live the simple life and be more self-sufficient; he did not intend to live as a hermit and had occasional visitors. The trip to Walden changed his life and inspired him to write even more transcendental literature. Although transcendentalism was practiced during the time of Thoreau, the idea of self-sufficiency, the simple life, the divinity of humans and nature has gradually become almost rejected or discouraged by many people in today’s society due to all the technology that has demanded our time as well as our apathy towards a controlling government.
Although transcendentalism is not commonly practiced today, there are still people who live self-sufficient lives. One example of a modern transcendentalist is Christopher McCandless in the movie Into the Wild. Into the Wild is a movie directed by Sean Penn in 2007, and is based on the true story and life of McCandless. McCandless, played by Emile Hirsch, is both an excellent student and athlete at the prestigious Emory University. Upon graduation, he decides to leave everything behind and after donating his $24,000 savings account to charity, he begins his trip to Alaska. McCandless was inspired by Thoreau’s poetry encouraging the power of self and rejection of society; therefore, he enters the Alaskan wild alone. McCandless is portrayed as living the perfect dream life as he is seen running with wild animals, climbing snowy mountains, and standing powerfully, teary eyed, and staring in the Alaska wilderness. Also, to accompany the beautiful scenery and emotions in the movie is warming and inspirational music. Unlike Thoreau, McCandless had no visitors during his three month adventure in the harsh Alaskan wild. Many people were inspired by McCandless’ story, but many others believed he was a crazy fool who had no purpose rather than just seeking adventure. Although the individualistic aspect of transcendentalism offers an escape from a bitter world, living the radical transcendental life in today’s society is not as “romantic” as it seemed in lives of transcendental poet Henry David Thoreau and 20th century adventurer Christopher McCandless in the movie Into the Wild.

Why do you think there are not more people who decide to live transcendental lives in today's society?

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:52 pm

CONFORMITY. It's simple! haha for years now society has been feeding us this idea of "the american dream" through mediums like television, pop music, commercials, advertisements, movies, etc., and now we dont think otherwise. Most people today think your meant to graduate college, try your hardest to get a high paying job, and live life working towards retirement, which is a wasted life. Society wants to keep the world going, keep the economy going, so they will do their best to keep us from our inner passions, our inner warrior/adventurous soul!. They try to make us selfish beings who are living in competition with those around them for that higher job position, and they want our life to become our job. We eventually become slaves to our job and living for money. Life is about you God-given passions, living in harmony with people AND earth, being unselfish and giving, and following your dreams!

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 pm

any thoughts??? :D :D :D

Return to “General Discussions”