Thirteen Senses

General discussions relating to the story.
north

Thirteen Senses

Postby north » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:14 am

It is so good to see that someone else has paired thirteen senses with this story. It is almost like the lyrics to their songs were made for this story. I feel that 'Thru the glass' is also similar to Chris's adventure. I wonder if the band actually came up with these lyrics based on his iconic story. Maybe these feelings or emotions come from us that are from the UK that have experienced this great band? I dont know. For those that havent, it is fantastic (as we say in England) Indy music. Music that is unique in itself. 'Independent' as it were.
Paul Burrows - West End

lisachat

Re: Thirteen Senses

Postby lisachat » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 pm

I agree, Thirteen Senses are good, but can we please give props to the musical genius that is Eddie Vedder??? The soundtrack is haunting, beautiful, and PERFECT!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Eddie Vedder's music fused with the movie perfectly. Naturally: it was written specifically for the movie. All of the songs that Vedder wrote for the film he sang and played the instruments himself. As he said 'we didn't have time to find other musicians, so I had to do it all myself. It was easier and quicker that way'. I really like the music because it is simple, not too many musical instruments and great lyrics.

I also really like Thirteen Senses. As I read Jack London's Call of the Wild, I found myself trying to get their music our of my head. Funny.

I guess some who read the book before seeing the movie may have music in their head that brings them back to the story. That is the beauty of literature and film, it brings different views and emotions to us all. It obviously affected Sean Penn to the point where he tried for 10 years to bring it to film. He immediately thought of Vedder to do the soundtrack, so perhaps he himself had Vedder's songs in his head at the time of reading the book...

lisachat

Postby lisachat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:47 am

The power of music is amazing. You can hear a song and it can take you back to when you were a child. You can remember the song playing when you had your first kiss, your first heartbreak. All the emotions can come back to you in an instant just by hearing a song. I have always loved Pearl Jam, and I love this story, so maybe that's why it seems so perfect to me. That, and the fact he wrote it all for the movie.

I think I'm going to read London's book next. You make it sound so interesting! There is definitely something intriguing about "the wild" and leaving behind all the trappings of man, and living a simple, minimalist life, without all the *%&$^#* strings of the materialist society that bring no joy, or peace!

Return to “General Discussions”