wannabe wilderness gypsy

General discussions relating to the story.
chipette

wannabe wilderness gypsy

Postby chipette » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:27 am

I still dream of leaving the drag of the unauthentic life to lead an authentic existence but health and responsibility prevent this. Many of us are at our least lonely and our most fulfilled in the worlds wild places where "real life" doesn't get a hook in you. I don't pretend to understand why Chris travelled in the way he did, it seems somehow as if he had the need to constantly challenge himself, but I feel sure that I connect to the way he felt in his soul to make him want to leave his life to "live his life" in a way that he felt would be pure and authentic and I'm sure that there are many others who feel the same way. I watched the film for the first time to-night and had never before heard of Chris and his exploits, I was instantly captivated and had to find out more. The fact that Chris chose to be solitary in unfamilliar surroundings may confound some but I see it as the only way he felt that he could actually still stay alive and that if he had carried on his life in the conventional way he may very well have commited suicide. If Chris was unprepared and naive I think that is because he only had "the challenge" in his head and at the same time needed to be away from the noise of so called civilisation, whatever, he did not commit a crime and it seems obvious to me that he was just trying to get by in the best way he could, don't we all try to do that really ? The fact that Chris died so tragically is not a failure, it is terribly sad for those who knew and loved him, but it could all so easily have been even more tragic if he had persued conventionality and had been heart wrenchingly unhappy before some sort of total breakdown occurred. Eventhough I feel desparately sad for the McCandless family we should support the individuals freedom to live the life that they choose as long as they don't physically hurt anyone and stay within the law.

naturelover24

Re: wannabe wilderness gypsy

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:49 pm

very true!! we'd all be happier if we just :shock: followed our dreams and didnt conform to the false happiness of materialism, business- careers, apathy, and selfishness. !:)

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Chipette i hope you find the courage and some people to accompany you on your adventure! always stay true and don't compromise your dreams or who you are for fear of not fitting in! :) LOVE Y'ALL!

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 am

Chipette, welcome to the site. Did you find us through a simple Internet search after watching the film? You will find like-minded friends here and some interesting discussions, as you have already seen. Many here have read the Jon Krakauer book the film was loosely based upon and recommend those who are inspired by Chris to do the same, in order to follow his story at a deeper level.

I personally believe there are many ways to live an authentic existence. Nature is a great inspriration but not the only one. (Chris, it appears, was inspired as much by great writers as he was by the wilderness, for example.)

Return to “General Discussions”