So who gets crap from their families??

General discussions relating to the story.
naturelover24

So who gets crap from their families??

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 am

i was in college and came home and my parents are giving me crap for wanting to travel, not wanting a career and all that. while it may be a bit idealistic, im up to the challenge. the only problem is i want a group of friends who share my views. its not about money i mean Chris did it without much money and we can too.
how about you, do your parents give you crap for not wanted to conform to societal norms, materialism, apathy??

pezar

Re: So who gets crap from their families??

Postby pezar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm really lucky, my parents really don't mind that I want to travel, in fact my mom wishes she could travel too but she is too old and sick. I got a college degree (from a community college) but never got a job in what I trained for. My dad also has a useless degree. My mom went to work right after high school, it was possible back in the 1960s. Some parents put way too much emphasis on a college degree. I only went because the counselors at my high school were so adamant that if a kid didn't go to college he/she was a failure. I have dyscalculia (like dyslexia, only with numbers) and failed algebra in HS. If I hadn't I likely would have gone to a university and been a terminal preppy like everybody else I knew. I went to a wealthy HS in California. Not everybody is cut out for college. I think if Chris could have gone on his adventure at 18 he would have, except Walt and Billie insisted he go to college.

makkoblue

Re: So who gets crap from their families??

Postby makkoblue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm

I was lucky too, my parents let me go when I was 16, just finished school in Germany (highschool). I even left the country and travelled big parts of the New England States (Maine, New Hampshire). I returned back home savely 4 years later. Up to today they still don't know all the details.
Today my daughter is 14 years old. For me it would be very hard to let her go. I know what it is like (good and bad) and that's exactly why I'm worried. We both read the CM book and watched the movie several times. We talked a lot about it.
After all I'd have to say, if she wants to hit the road I'd let her go. For me back then it was the best time of my life. Still think about it a lot. I would prepare her the best I can and make her wait as long as she can. But I would not want her to miss out on what I got a chance to experience.

Return to “General Discussions”