any women here??

General discussions relating to the story.
shiva2009

Re: any women here??

Postby shiva2009 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 am

First Time Poster (please be kind :D ),
I am inspired by any story that leads a person to step outside their comfort zone, search for the truth, tread gently on this earth, and embrace nature regardless of their gender.
Like Chris I was raised in an affluent family, and once I turned 18yrs, I rejected all that my parents, friends & society deemed as of value. Casting aside designer clothes, money, materialistic security, A Uni Degree- I left home in my Garage Sale bought 1961 Kombi Van & Thrift Shop Clothes and lived quiet hapily on the road for over 2yrs. Exploring and staying in National Parks and Remote Deserts or Just Truck Stops.
My 1961 Kombi died a Honourable Death, but the sprit of travel & discovery in me did not!
My life has seen more roads, pathways, highways & Goat tracks that I can account for. I have travelled all around my own country and all over the globe. I have worked, I have studied, I have joined charity organisations around the globe and have had the Blessed Joy of experiencing so many wonders that this life has to offer, both happy & sad...
For this I am forever greatful....
My next journey takes me to my 10 acres of bush land where I am currently Restoring a 1920's Red Rattler Train Carriage & My Own Magic Bus to be converted into a Eco Friendly, Solar Powered Dwelling. I also have a Tipee to reside in whilst I work..
By The Way I Am A 38yr old Female, Mother of 5, & Devoted Companion to my now Soul Mate.. Yes, I have done this amazing life on my own at times, and at others with amazing people of both Gender.. In all my travels and experience we cannot possibly live without the other, both sexes have so much to offer & teach one another! :) As for my children, they are also blessed with having lived in so many different, cultural, spiritual, economical, societal situations,they are well grounded, full of compassion,hold the spirit of adventure in their hearts, have a deep sense of loyalty, strong family values, good work ethics,but above all to have the courage & strength in this life to walk their own truth - Blessings To All - Del :D

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 am

stilltrekker wrote:
bobenns wrote: It would be interesting to know if there is a difference in the % of men or women that prefer an alternative lifestyle, alternative to the mainstream commercial lifestyle.

Now that, I think, is an interesting question to pose. Of course, we have to start with the definition of "alternative lifestyle". . . groups that come to my mind (for folks possibly still alive) are the beat generation, 60's hippies/Woodstockers, those living in communal farms & households such as Bob described, artists/craftspeople, writers/poets/musicians, expats and wanderers, 2nd generation hippies, Deadheads/Phishheads/jamband groupies, environmentalists, organic gardeners, vegetarians/vegans. . .and many more that haven't yet come to mind. . . I'd hazard to say that, overall, it's pretty equally balanced M/F, but some sub-groups might be more heavily male-dominated (expats, for example) while others might be more female (such as those devoted to home births and breast-feeding). I often think back to our original roles--I mean ALL the way back, to earliest mankind--and envision First Woman tending the fire while she nurses the baby and chews the mammoth hide to cure it while First Man ventures forth in the hunt. There are some basic biological differences between male and female, but modern life has leveled out many of the possible psychological differences. Take this forum as a perfect example; until "revealing" ourselves, who would even know which of us is male and which female?

There are a lot of alternatives to main stream when you think about it. Yet it is almost impossible or unbearable to live entirely without money. People did at one time. And more recently than many of us would think. They were still doing it in the north when I was a kid in school.

Interesting about "stone age societies". We had in Canada Inuit people who lived traditionally (stone age)until the mid 1960s when all were finally resettled into "modern communities"

These people had an amazing rich culture and were resourceful beyond anything we can imagine. Living in the harshest environment they were totally self sufficient. They would make whatever they needed from whatever they had at hand, a sled from frozen Char, hides and antlers for example, when done using it they could eat the fish and make a shelter with the hides. Talk about living off the land, they were the best of the best. Europeans like Franklin and company quickly froze and starved to death in that environment when their supplies ran out and their technology failed them. The Inuit needed only the land. They hunted the animals for food and they wore their skins to keep warm. In summer they build crude huts, in winter they made their homes from snow and were as warm as can be. I admire those people. It was hard but they were hardy. Yes the women bore the children and chewed the hides while the men hunted. It is said that if the first born was female she was put out on the ice, simply because they needed the first child to be a hunter. When the women got old and their teeth wore out they too would go out onto the snow and not return. The men hunted until they met their fate. The weak did not survive! However it was not a male dominant culture, everyone contributed and was recognized for their vital part, even the children as they followed the adult role models were contributing. It was survival as a way of life, not a pass time.

Todays Inuit are having a tough go of it half way between their stone age ancestors and the modern consumerism. Culture lost, identity lost, alcoholism, drug addiction, gas sniffing kids, high suicide rates. The government considered them poor back in the 50s, wandering the tundra and permafrost, living in huts made from sticks and hides or igloos. No postal address. So they took their culture away and moved them into "settlements".

There is an amazing series of films produced by Asen Balikci in the late 50s and early 60s that documents the last days of the traditional nomadic life of the Neselik Inuit before they were moved into so called settlements. Simply amazing footage documenting a group of Inuit living the nomadic lifestyle all four seasons, on the land and on the ice, catching fish and seals, true survivors. Chris should have watched those films before setting out, its a whole different way of thinking.

We have a lot of people in the northern areas that work part of the year and do a lot of fishing and hunting to fill their freezers. They live at the edge of civilization but they have motor vehicles, snowmobiles and motor boats and rifles etc. A few trappers live right out in the bush all year in cabins but they still come to town once a month to cash the government cheque and stock up.

Author George Calef documented the life and migration of Caribou in the far north. At the end of his excellent book he quotes an old Inuit hunter Nuligak in what may be the most meaningful passage I have ever read. It tells me who I am.

When one is no longer able to go hunting
How beautiful the mountains seem to be.
Brooks with their crystal clear water!
A roast on a fire of moss!
It is summer... the mosquitoes are gone!
One is happy to live!

Out in the open
The open fire grills the meat.
Its fat sizzles and sings
As it flows upon the stone...
How I yearn to be there again!
As these my own words, so lure me.

Calef ends with these words

"They always seem to me the thoughts not just of one man, but of all men as we grow more and more estranged from the natural world.
Barren ground caribou are creatures of the ice age winter. They have survived the vicissitudes of half a million years. The forces of ice and snow that changed the face of the land shaped and strengthened the caribou. So is man a wilderness creature; we too strove and survived against the ice and the weather and the change. The wilderness formed our most valued and uniquely human characteristics. One does not destroy the place from which he has sprung except at great peril. Unless we understand these things, we will not do what is right for the caribou, or for ourselves."
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

eliete míriam

Postby eliete míriam » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Yes. I´m a woman.

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 am

bobenns wrote: Interesting about "stone age societies". We had in Canada Inuit people who lived traditionally (stone age)until the mid 1960s when all were finally resettled into "modern communities". . . . So is man a wilderness creature; we too strove and survived against the ice and the weather and the change. The wilderness formed our most valued and uniquely human characteristics. One does not destroy the place from which he has sprung except at great peril. Unless we understand these things, we will not do what is right for the caribou, or for ourselves."

Bob, thanks for sharing with us a glimpse into the lost world of the Inuit. It was inspiring to read. (I have only excerpted a small passage above and recommend anyone who hasn't read Bob's entire post to do so). This also helps to explain why so many of us still feel the "call of the wild," even if we are unable or ill-prepared to follow it.

butterflyxx

Postby butterflyxx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm a woman & i'd love to live the lifestyle that Chris had. Upon reading the novel, I realised I am not alone, there are people out there like Chris that share I guess what you'd call the same lofty ideals, which are deemed eccentric by the rest of society. I feel bound into this system, to graduate, work, 9-5, superficial relationships... it's not me. I need to break free completely & his way of life is what I aspire to.

butterflyxx

Postby butterflyxx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Shiva2009 thanks for the inspiring story. I hope I can live a life similar to yours. Travel, adventure and your soul male - it seems you've got it made :D Travelling alone can be very lonely at times, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice partner.

erinbrowning

Postby erinbrowning » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm

I realize I am a little late to this conversation, but I am a young woman, not looking to mother anyone. Chris's story appeals to both sexes for some of the very same reasons; freedom, testing ones self limits, adventure, etc... He was deep thinking in regards to what he hoped to find on his journey, that appeals to all. Not all women want a boring 9-5 guy who has no dreams other than to stay in the suburbs. In the contrast, I think women want a little adventure to say the least. Well, maybe that's just me.

erinbrowning

Postby erinbrowning » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:13 pm

I realize I a bit late in this conversation ;) but I too am a young woman, who is not looking to mother :D I believe there is a desire among all of us to seek a deeper meaning to our lives. Not all women want a 9-5 guy, who is content on living their life in suburbia. I think there a lot more women out there who do want some sort of adventure than we think. I say so based on my own parents love of extensive travel. I want that in my life. I have had a lot of adventure in my relative short life, and hope to continue. I believe that Chris's journey inspires all, not just men and will continue to do so.

Ruth_94

Postby Ruth_94 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Bobenns said "I would think that to a lot of women in today's modern society that CM comes across as some kind of loser."
I myself have to say that i disagree with this, I would think that more will see Chris as being very brave and couragous, as i do. However, I dont thnk that many people will understand the true spiritual meaning as to why Chris took this adventure, but i see Chris as a legend - may his passion and spirit live on...
I am a female student and i have been inspired after reading the book and watching the movie, i now view the world in a totally different way.
I think that Chris' story was for both men and women, not mainly men. It shows power, freedom, courage, spirit... I would love to live the life which Chris lived !

laurencawdell

Postby laurencawdell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 pm

*Ahem* hi! :D i'm a girl

Return to “General Discussions”