any women here??

General discussions relating to the story.
naturelover24

any women here??

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 am

it seems like its mainly men on here.. wheres all the women??!? there has to be some who love adventure... love y'all! :)

Ascetic

Re: any women here??

Postby Ascetic » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 am

There are a few, but there are lots more men. It's been my experience that most women avoid men like us. Why? I think it has something to do with evolution: most men who have chosen our lifestyle are incapable of providing material support for women, and women - at least those of child-rearing age - want men who are reliable providers. That's just my take on it.

I don't mind being alone though. I'm pretty much a hermit anyway.

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 am

i digress, i think many women, at the core of their being, would love to accompany a man in a life of adventure, like a fairy tale. i think we all adventure, like its in us to crave adventure and nature. sadly, society tries to force us to value careers and money over human relationships, nature, and passion...

tove

Postby tove » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Well, my experience is the opposite. I feel more encouraged by women to do adventurous things, the men I have encountered have seemed more scared and query when I tell them my stories, generally speaking of course. I often have a feeling that men (still generally with witch I mean men working and living in todays society, men who belive in politics and fame and money and power, the general person..) prefer their women to be secure and sometimes tamed, and Im sure that women often want their men the exact same way.

It's a scary thing when someone think outside the box, wanna stretch their boundaries and question the big things. And I think it mirrors very well in the Jerry hannan/eddie vedder song "and when you think more than you want your thoughts begin to bleed". It seems like most people find it easier to just to what they are told and what is expected of them 'cause life can be pretty damn hard if you start to think about it. And when you meet someone who has their mind set on figuring this stuff out, the easier way is to turn the other cheek...
what's said in a whisper won't survive in the roar.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm

naturelover24 wrote:.. wheres all the women??!?

Here's one. :D

But sorry, I prefer travelling and hiking on my own. :mrgreen:

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

right on! haha are you a student?

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:25 pm

One reason there are more male members of this forum is because as males we identify with Chris at the personal level, we see ourselves in him, we intuitively understand his inner frustration with the world. More women I think feel a maternal instinct to want to rescue him and set him back on track than to really know and understand him.

A lot of people conclude that he had it all and threw it all away. He was no doubt headed down a path to a life of career and financial success, but not of real happiness in his own mind. He didn't take up the torch being passed to him from his father and run headlong into the world of brainy men doing technological development at the cutting edge of modern science and space exploration. He had what it takes to achieve in that world, he had a destiny set out for him there and all the right doors would be opened for him. But he declined it in his search for true meaning.

I would think that to a lot of women in today's modern society that CM comes across as some kind of loser. Lets face it, we are at a time of the most wasteful, shallow and meaningless consumerism of all time. People are so caught up in the acquiring and consuming of goods and services and energy that they cannot see outside the box. Chris asked the really big questions about life and went searching for the answers in the world as we know it, but also in himself. He followed the beat of a different drummer, and when you get to care about Chris its not about what he has, but who he is, a purposeful, bright, honest young man in search of the truth about life. Unbathed, in his tattered rags, He wouldn't appeal to many of today's young women shopping for trendy clothes at the mall.

But for those who see beyond this shallow wasteful consumerism that is destroying our planet, Chris is a icon, a light pointing to a different way of seeing, of being and living. There are alternatives to the dictates of society. Not starving in the bush, but living an alternative lifestyle with less waste and more open honest and meaningful relationships with others.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

love11

Postby love11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 pm

bobenns wrote:One reason there are more male members of this forum is because as males we identify with Chris at the personal level, we see ourselves in him, we intuitively understand his inner frustration with the world. More women I think feel a maternal instinct to want to rescue him and set him back on track than to really know and understand him.

A lot of people conclude that he had it all and threw it all away. He was no doubt headed down a path to a life of career and financial success, but not of real happiness in his own mind. He didn't take up the torch being passed to him from his father and run headlong into the world of brainy men doing technological development at the cutting edge of modern science and space exploration. He had what it takes to achieve in that world, he had a destiny set out for him there and all the right doors would be opened for him. But he declined it in his search for true meaning.

I would think that to a lot of women in today's modern society that CM comes across as some kind of loser. Lets face it, we are at a time of the most wasteful, shallow and meaningless consumerism of all time. People are so caught up in the acquiring and consuming of goods and services and energy that they cannot see outside the box. Chris asked the really big questions about life and went searching for the answers in the world as we know it, but also in himself. He followed the beat of a different drummer, and when you get to care about Chris its not about what he has, but who he is, a purposeful, bright, honest young man in search of the truth about life. Unbathed, in his tattered rags, He wouldn't appeal to many of today's young women shopping for trendy clothes at the mall.

But for those who see beyond this shallow wasteful consumerism that is destroying our planet, Chris is a icon, a light pointing to a different way of seeing, of being and living. There are alternatives to the dictates of society. Not starving in the bush, but living an alternative lifestyle with less waste and more open honest and meaningful relationships with others.

Amazing post,man. You put it beautifully :P

tove

Postby tove » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 pm

bobenns wrote:"One reason there are more male members of this forum is because as males we identify with Chris at the personal level, we see ourselves in him, we intuitively understand his inner frustration with the world. More women I think feel a maternal instinct to want to rescue him and set him back on track than to really know and understand him..... "

"I would think that to a lot of women in today's modern society that CM comes across as some kind of loser...."

"He wouldn't appeal to many of today's young women shopping for trendy clothes at the mall...."

I would say BULLSHIT. that totally goes for todays men too! sure sure, women like fancy clothes and champagne, facebook and Katy Perry but that is so not a gender thing. I've met just as many guys who could never live without their iPhone or brand jeans.
what's said in a whisper won't survive in the roar.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

bobenns wrote:One reason there are more male members of this forum is because as males we identify with Chris at the personal level, we see ourselves in him, we intuitively understand his inner frustration with the world. More women I think feel a maternal instinct to want to rescue him and set him back on track than to really know and understand him.

I really would not generalize here. Maternal instinct? Perhaps a little bit, too. But actually, what touched me most about the story, already when I read the book in 1997, was my own kind of identification with parts of the personnality, including the "inner frustration with the world", as you said. The lies in the family, too. The obsession for truth, the disgust for today's overbanged materialism, the yearning for a self-determined life and independence. And also some kind of admiration for what he did and what I never dared, namely being consequent and just get rid of certain constraints of "civilization" (of course, I've already made some progress in the course of time, but I'm still fighting and will probably do so until I die). The need to spend much time alone (not as a complete hermit, though). And of course the enthusiasm for sub-arctic nature.
However, I would never take such high risks. ;)

bobenns wrote:I would think that to a lot of women in today's modern society that CM comes across as some kind of loser.

Here again, I don't think that there are more women than men who think that way. It just depends on the person.
The book had also inspired me to read Thoreau and I really like his writings, especially the philosophy in "Walden". But I also know a lot of men AND women who would never be interested in these things, just because they have a different outlook on life in general.
Altogether I dont' have the impression that it's a question of gender.

Return to “General Discussions”