What a great story

General discussions relating to the story.
Andrew-Boston

Re: What a great story

Postby Andrew-Boston » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 am

For a truly inspiring story, read Edges of the Earth by Rick Leo. He too battled the Alaska wilderness with few resources, raised a son and still lives to talk about it. We were good friends in college and he did it for all the right motivations.

Kindred spirits

Postby Kindred spirits » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 am

Forgiveness indeed fathers peace, but Chris didn't forgive his father and it ultimately cost him his life. Not contacting his mother and sister was also indicative of the selfishness/blithe ignorance that the depressed can inflict on those that love them most. This is not an attack on such people, I was one myself. Depression comes from many things, but a self-centric over-analysis of oneself is a prime culprit. Focusing on others and realising that the world does not revolve around you is a ladder out of the abyss. Again, it worries me to see that people get hung up on the film and cannot separate that from the sad reality of his life. Sean Penn did make a wonderful movie - but it's a movie ! It's not real. People read into it and want it to be real, but it's not. If you want to be inspired by the film, be inspired not to try and live in an environment that you cannot cope in. Be inspired NOT to live like Chris, be inspired to forgive your parents and anyone who you feel may have spurned you. Be inspired to open your heart, and not to close it as he did (re his family, old Ron, Tracy etc.) I feel it worrying that people think he embraced life, when it was exactly the opposite, he ran away from it.

wisern2b

Postby wisern2b » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I have watched Into the Wild several times, read the book, and recently watched a documentary about Chris McCandless journey to the "Magic Bus" and I have to say there is something about Chris and his story that just makes me want to know more about him.
Some people have called him foolish and naive and some people have called him a hero, I think that he was a combination of both. I defiantly admire his determination and bravery to travel across the country and eventually go into the wilderness alone, but I think that he should have done more research on the area and been more prepared for what he was getting into.
Ultimatly I think that Chris just did what a lot of people want to do, but are too afraid to do. Deep down I think we all have a desire to go on a grand adventure wether it be a cross country journey to a vast wilderness alone or a trip into any unknown territory of life. We all want to discover who we are no matter what age we are.

Bighardsun

Postby Bighardsun » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 am

My 1st visit here.

Sometimes we see parallels to ourselves and like many, make a connection to kindred souls. When one travels the country and crosses Detrital Wash or basks under the Redwoods and knows that they were preceded by a unique person like Chris, it brightens the experience and makes you yearn for more. Lives are weakened by detail and hubris. Strength of character comes from living a complete and meaningful existence, strength of heart comes from enjoying every moment.

Thoreau says "The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." This passage was highlighted in the copy of Walden found with the body of Chris.

Bighardsun

Return to “General Discussions”