Did Chris forsee his death?

General discussions relating to the story.
Sardizzola

Did Chris forsee his death?

Postby Sardizzola » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:38 am

I'm new to this so be kind please...I was just curious if anyone else wondered what I am wondering... On the piece of plywood that Chris carved his little story on... He said "and now after two rambling years Comes the FINAL AND GREATEST ADVENTURE."
Was he just planning on actually going"home" after? Or did he want to die.... In the wild, at peace, or what would be what he perceived as piece... And was finally happy with where he had gone and things he had seen and experienced and didn't want to go back to the lifestyle of being what he thought of as "caddle," in society where there's governing and all kinds of other things that made him feel as though he truly was NOT FREE...
I'm just curious.... It got me thinking after I read what he carved on the piece of plywood......
Some people don't understand why anyone would be so interested in a story like this, because they think of Chris as a person who was a theif, or a bum I've even read some people say... Did he ever steal??? It take advantage of anyone?
I have never read the book, but I only just recently watched the movie... And it was kind of a bizarre, slow but kept me wondering what was gonna happen in the end, kind of movie... And now I'm curious...

elenarose

Re: Did Chris forsee his death?

Postby elenarose » Mon May 03, 2021 1:21 am

Idk if you will ever see this because you posted so long ago but here is my opinion after watching the movie and doing a lot of research. I think "FINAL and greatest journey" meant that it was his final adventure before returning to home or a somewhat civilized life. (I dont mean civilized in a mean way!!) I love that he followed his heart and went for his adventures his final years. It really reminds me of myself this past year.

In regards of "did he go out there to die" I really dont think so!! He wanted to push himself and I am sure he knew that there was risk in what he was doing. I think he was of the mindset of this will be a great experience and if something does happen (not that he wanted it) he would be at peace.

My research shows that for at least a month he was eating the root of the wild potato plant. When he was getting very hungry he tried crossing the river to get to safety, but it was too dangerous. So...he knew he would have to start eating more. He thought that because the root was edible, so would the seed pods on the same plant (they are kind of bean like). The seeds had a neurotoxin called beta-ODAP. That chemical effects different age groups, genders, races differently. The chemical can cause partial paralysis or a inability to move. Beta-ODAP has been studied and seems to effect men 15-25 years of age that are very active, nutrient deficient, and are not consuming many calories. Mccandle to a TEE.

Over a few weeks of eating the pods he increasingly felt lethargic. He knew it was the pods. He couldnt get out and forage for food so he died. I really do not think it was a death mission. He knew the risks were high but if he know he would die, I dont think he would have gone....

Such a sad but inspiring story. He has made a huge impact on my perspective this past month since i learned the story. I like to think that he is shining down on us proud of the impact he has made and helping guide those who were in his desperate position.

Return to “General Discussions”