Hello Everyone!

General discussions relating to the story.
Long Travler

Hello Everyone!

Postby Long Travler » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 am

Hey, y'all!

I haven't posted since around April. This is because I took my first solo adventure. For, well 6 months! I have to tell you, it wasn't anything like I expected. I mean, there were times where I was scared to death and just wanted to pack up and leave. But, I didn't. I still don't know why. I traveled strictly around the wilderness of Pennsylvania and went through the towns. I will post all the pictures in the near future. I was an amazing time and I had quite a lot of fun!

Happy Travels,

Sam

tove

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby tove » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 am

sounds like you have had a great adventure. looking forward to see the pictures, and please tell some stories!
what's said in a whisper won't survive in the roar.

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:20 am

hey "Long Travler", i really want to travel for a while, and travel as cheaply as possible. any ideas??

Long Travler

Postby Long Travler » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 am

Hey, guys!
I will be posting my story and pictures soon.

@naturelover24
Hey, there are many ways to travel cheap. I mean, you'll have to invest on decent gear and a tent. There are other posts that some people have given great advice.

The only advice I would love to share is...TOILET PAPER!
Toilet paper is like life...at first you think you have it all, and before you know it is all gone. :P

stilltrekker

On the topic of TP

Postby stilltrekker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01 am

On the not-so-delicate topic of toilet paper. . .

TP is one of the blessings of civilization and curses of the wilderness. How many of you have walked into a beautiful natural spot, slightly but not extremely off-the-path, and encountered a deposit of TP some thoughtless traveler left behind? (pun sort of intended) How totally gross.

We all must defecate, but we needn't leave a trace of it for others to discover. There are several options. Using unidentified wild plants is NOT a satisfactory choice. If you want to wipe with it, you'd better know what it is and know that your sensitive parts are not sensitive to it. If you're going to use TP, then please have the wherewithal to walk WAY off the path (but don't lose sight of it!) and bury it WELL. But my favorite method is the tried-and-true cleansing method used in India--WASH. There, traditionally, a small brass pot of water stands beside the toilet for pouring over the necessary anatomy. The left hand is strictly designated for personal cleansing, and the right hand is used for greeting and eating (even for lefties, which have a hard time in India!). I know some of you will be turned off to this idea, but you know what? If you want to spend serious time in remote areas, you'll learn to do lots of things that are not appropriate in civilized parts. Consider it survival training of a different sort.

Stilltrekker

Return to “General Discussions”