I wish I knew him

General discussions relating to the story.
Elvis Latka

I wish I knew him

Postby Elvis Latka » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:25 pm

I am affected by CM's story for many reasons. One big reason is because he is my age. He seems like a guy that I would have hung out with in the early 90's.

freakie

Re: I wish I knew him

Postby freakie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:00 pm

yeah i know. im 16 and way far from his age but i really wish i knew him too ;)

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:39 am

I was born in 1990 so i think its cool that i was alive when he was alive even though i was only 2 when he passed away

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 am

We all know Chris. The reason his story touches us so deeply is because there is a bit of Chris in all of us. Youth, young men in particular rebel against their parents' values to some degree. Usually not to the extent that Chris did, but even my honest, hard working Mennonite father rebelled in his own way, breaking rank with tradition while still remaining as conservative as his ancestors in many ways. We all try to escape to the wilderness somehow. Not necessary to be the wilds of Alaska, for many of us the wilderness is a just a different city or the other side of the country, a different school, culture or society, or an unknown part of town a different scene. It's the unknown.
As one who rebelled in my youth I can really relate to Chris. The romantic ideals of living free of societies dictates combined with a lack of the skills and knowledge needed to do it, lands one in some awkward situations. Fortunately for most of us the revelation didn't come when we were past a point of no return. Usually it just means we have a lesson to learn, admit our foolishness and ask for help.
Fortunately I survived my rebellious youth and as it was prophesied, I see things differently today. I too had that wander lust, spring fever, desire to be wild and free, answering to no one but myself. It gets more lonely and difficult the farther one goes down that road. We need other people and we need to feel needed too as Chris finally realized.
I grew up in country very similar to Alaska. Nothing but harsh wilderness for a hundred miles in any direction. I understand that Chris had a very hard lesson to lean. Had he not stumbled onto the bus on his hike, he may have learned it more quickly and returned, or perhaps perished out there much sooner. There is nothing romantic about starving in the wilderness. It usually happened to people who got trapped by winter and ran out of supplies.
My heart goes out to all of his family. All is forgiven, you are not at fault. There is a lot of good from Chris that touches people that hear about his journey, knowing his story helps us make our lives more meaningful.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

hotelgirl

Postby hotelgirl » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 am

he was born just a year before me.

personally i dont think i would have like to have known him. i think people like me and maybe him are a strange breed, there is an Awkward Fascination, a kindred spirit, you like to see them, but not really talk to. Whats to talk.

I have always thought that people like Chris and me for sure prefer to communicate through actions, ie, written word. a story. a picture. a poem. they set their thoughts down and you respond similarly and a year later you get a reply. deep and intense thoughts are not readily shared over the duration of minutes.

his story has totally blown me away though.

butterflyxx

Postby butterflyxx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm

@hotelgirl you sound just like me!! Maybe i'm not all alone :)

never4get

Postby never4get » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:52 pm

I am only 14, far from his age and i wish i knew him.

I have only heard of him this week, ive read the book; watched the film and constantly looking for new information; i definitely think he is my idol now as he did so much whilst looking for so little.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

never4get wrote:he did so much whilst looking for so little.

That's an interesting definition. :D

So you are the same age as my niece. She has very different idols these days ;) , but I remember when watching the DVD with her a bit more than a year ago (when she had just turned 13), at the end of the movie she said: "Oh no, this is so saaad! After all, he just wanted to live the way everyone should live."

laurencawdell

Postby laurencawdell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm 19 and i'm a girl. Chris is pretty much one of my inspirations! I wish i knew him as well. I was born one month after he was found in the bus. it is sad that none of us will get to meet him :(

Return to “General Discussions”