Question

General discussions relating to the story.
Aussie

Question

Postby Aussie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi guys, nice website. I was just wondering what Chris's weight and height was before he started his inspirational trip.
A few years time ill be wondering our Aussie mainland experiencing thuderstorms in its purest form and livin' life how i want to.
Thanks.

Mr Verdant Green

Re: Question

Postby Mr Verdant Green » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Aussie:

I'm not sure if that information is given in the book. I think that in the extra features of the Into the Wild DVD, Emile Hirsch says he went from 150+ pounds (68+ kg) to 115 pounds (52 kg) in playing the role of Christopher McCandless.

Other threads in this forum mention a documentary about Christopher McCandless made by Ron Lamothe called The Call of the Wild. The website for the film states his weight was 142 pounds (64.4 kg) and his height (derived from the BMI given) was 5 foot, 6 inches (1.67 meters). I'm not sure if these are his actual height and weight or just assumptions by Lamothe. I have the documentary DVD but haven't watched it yet. (Saving it for a sick day) The link to the site with this information is:

http://www.terraincognitafilms.com/wild/call_debunked.htm

Your plans sound interesting. Let us know how it goes.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Mr Verdant Green wrote:his height (derived from the BMI given) was 5 foot, 6 inches (1.67 meters).

As far as I know, this is the height of Emile Hirsch, but Chris McCandless was a little bit taller (though not much ;) ).
Here's an article that states he was 5 foot 8 inches, and that they found at least his weight of the time when he made his driver's licence some years earlier, which was 133 pounds.
http://www.chipbrown.net/articles/intowild.htm

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks all in advance.

Return to “General Discussions”