Thoughts

General discussions relating to the story.
SteveSalmon

Re: Thoughts

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:59 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:27 pm

If you can hang in there until you are 16, you can get your GED and be done with HS, that's what my cousin did, she got her GED and went to beauty school. I really hated HS myself, I was bullied badly and my dad was an untreated schizophrenic so I was abused at home too, and I tolerated all of it until I got nauseated from it because I wanted a HS diploma, and once I got that I moved out and never really looked back. I lived on my own, then I lived with my grandparents, then when they went into a home I had to move back with my parents, but in a different house (I actually have a little trailer behind their house now, so I technically don't live in their house) and I found that when I moved out my dad FINALLY decided he needed help and got that help, and even though he's still condescending towards me he's nowhere near as evil as he used to be. I am now making plans to move to Oregon to be out on my own once and for all. 14 is still young, you're still a kid and you still have a LOT to learn, so stay with HS and then when you're 18 you can leave.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:50 pm

mcv081 wrote:...and im thinking of dropping everything and heading out next year.

mcv081 wrote:There are people in africa who are starving and dying and all people care about is themselves.

If I understood you right, you want to "head out" in order to help fighting against world hunger? Any concrete plans so far?

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 am

Many of us know exactly how you feel. We have been there. I was expelled from high school at 15. Was afraid of facing my dad and hitch hiked 600 miles to a large city where I intended to disappear. I had no clue how to take care of myself or find what I needed to live and so I turned myself in after a few days. At 18 I traveled to the west coast and lived on the street in a large city for many months. When I returned home I had lost 40 pounds.

I was always wanting to get away and be free. But the truth is I had no idea of how to survive on my own and had to return home each time. Eventually I managed to acquire enough skills to survive in this world without parental support, but it took a number of years and attempts.

To go and do what Chris did does not make a lot of sense. He destroyed himself doing it. He did not learn the necessary survival skills to be able to live alone out there. Native Americans have these skills, they usually don't go alone. Their culture was "Living in the Wild" for many thousands of years, without any technology as we know it. But they had community.

It takes years and years of learning and practice to acquire enough skill to be able to make it for months at a time in a place such as the wilds of Alaska or Canada. There is a good TV show called "Survivor Man". He goes on these survival excursions alone, usually dropped off by helicopter on a mountain top or in a desert etc, with almost nothing, No food, no matches, just clothing a knife and not much more. Oh yeah cameras, he videos himself as he builds shelter and forages for food. The guy is very knowledgeable, extremely skilled at wilderness survival. Its different in every kind of environment. He had to stop making the show because of heath problems associated with his poor diet and periods of starvation from doing these excursions. If this guy can't do it then no one can. Of course he doesn't research and pick out a prime location with lots of available food stuffs and build himself a permanent shelter etc and stock up on the various sources of food available. He goes to harsh environments like Alaska and tries to find his way out.

One doesn't need to try to live a life of solitude in some remote wilderness to get away. One can wander, travel the roads, visit the desirable places, camp out but not drop out.

Another thing that is somewhat down played in the movie is the perils of wandering. When you are out there alone, far from home, you may become victimized by various types of human predators. You may never be heard from again. They are out there looking for victims that won't be missed immediately and can't easily be traced. Hitch hiking you never know who is picking you up. Usually a well intentioned person, but often enough someone with needs you don't want to be satisfying. There are sick people out there looking for victims. I know.

You can't just head out one day. You need to plan, you need to learn, you need to practice and you shouldn't do it alone.
Good luck to you, take it one step at a time. The most important thing is always make sure someone knows where you went and when you'll be back and to report you missing if you don't return.

Bob
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Bob, at age 14 the human brain is not developed enough to understand and evaluate risk. The road is a very unforgiving place, one mistake and you're done for. IMO a 14 year old girl living on the road will not last long-either she'll end up raped and murdered, or sold into sex slavery. Men have a much easier time on the road than women do. Chris was 22 when he left, he was older and had more experience, although he was overconfident and that ultimately did him in. I lived in San Francisco in the mid 90s, but I had a tiny apartment to sleep in at night and parental monetary support. I probably couldn't have lived on the streets at 19. I don't know if you remember the case of the 15 year old girl from Oregon who went to SF in 1994 and ended up falling in with some weirdoes who strangled her to death because she'd expressed an offhand wish for suicide. She lacked the ability to evaluate that once she was dead, that was it. Real young teens don't understand all the perils of living a hitchhiker's life, a squatter's life. Much less living alone in the wild. I hated HS, but I hung in there because I knew that if I graduated with a diploma I would be free. A 9th grade education is a ticket to eternal poverty and homelessness. It may look good now, but not when she's 40. Hang in there kid, it does get better after high school.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 pm

I thought McKenna was a girl's name. Still, much of what I said still applies. You don't have the ability to weigh pros and cons of a decision yet, this is why your peers do such dumb things. You simply don't have the ability to figure out how to live on the road yet.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:00 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassackwards

Postby bassackwards » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:58 am

Hello mcv081,

You impress me, so I have joined up to say so, and to add my bit to this discussion if I may...

Please don't lose sight of the fact that if you want to really make a difference in this world in a profound way, you CAN start right now, just maybe not in the way that is immediately apparent to you.

Maybe you could start with some kind of effort in the line of charity, I've heard of many young people who have started projects and funds, to purchase water wells for villages in Africa, for example. Do some research in this vein, see what others in your age group are doing, you are not alone. See what sparks your interest and creativity, start making connections and plan and build your project with the support of that community (if there is no such community yet, maybe your initial calling could be to build a network for these youth to support each other?)

You could also try to earn a bit of money after school, or take a holiday job (that won't interfere with your schoolwork) and use that money to get involved in the micro-loan effort. That changes lives for people all over the world, and would give you the opportunity to see, very clearly, the results of your efforts for each person that you help. The loans people make on http://www.kiva.org/ for example, go from just $25 up to $400 dollars. (fyi, you'd probably need to enlist an adult to 'assist' you though, the website will probably require it, just to keep it legal ;) )

These are just a couple of ideas, you'll need to get creative and find a way that works for you, but it can be done. Even as a freshman, you can apply yourself in your free time, and really make an impact. I understand that this movie is inspiring, but if your goal is to be free to make a difference and surround yourself with like-minded people, more than anything else, you need to get the BEST education that you can -- the more educated you are, the more of a impact you'll be able to make in this world.

Christopher McCandless got a great education, and despite his troubles, waited until he was graduated from college to take his adventure. I went to college at 16, after being accepted in my sophomore year at high school, so I was just a little bit older than you. I wasn't rich or brilliant, but I was motivated. A lot of things are possible, even at your age, if you can become adept at balancing your amazing passion with patience and hard work, and incorporate the thoughtful guidance of people who have walked the trails before you.

I wish you great success in all your endeavors!

Outsider

Postby Outsider » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi, I'm new here but I read this board for a whole time.

mcv081, I'm a bit older than you (I'm 18) but I feel the same when I'm watching people in my country, so I understand you. I also had the same plans, I wanted to go out from society and be closer to nature, but you know what? It's not solution.
You should fight with these "plastic people", You should show to your father, that He wanted son like you. Just don't run away. If you think a lot 'bout kids in Africa maybe Will you try to help them (or maybe generaly - help poor kids). You just should try maxim “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

I think, that McCandless wanted to show us important values which we should live with in the future.

PS. Great video and great song ;) Cheers!

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi, we're glad you came here. There's lots of friendly folks on this forum, even though some of them rant and rave a bit. I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from, at least I think I do. High school SUCKS. I'm quite a distance from my high school years, but I will never forget how much I hated it and how I got out as quickly as I could. For me, that meant going to summer school so I could graduate a year early.

If you decide to make a break for it (though I have to admit, I'll try to convince you otherwise), make a GOOD, workable plan. Don't be foolish and strike out unprepared. And there are lots of safe, interesting places to go before you attempt a trek like Chris did. If you've read the book or seen the movie, you'll recall that first he graduated from high school, then he made a trip to California to discover his relatives. It wasn't until after he graduated from college that he took up his wandering life for good. Do you have a relative somewhere who you could go see? You may feel frustrated and alone right now, but I am SURE there is someone who loves you and would worry terribly if anything happened to you.

Keep writing--to others, and maybe even keep a journal for yourself--it's a great way to let those feelings out so they don't just swim around inside and make you feel sicker.

Stilltrekker

Return to “General Discussions”