Lake Wentitika???

Here you can discuss anything relating to Alaska and this story.
Husky

Lake Wentitika???

Postby Husky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 am

Where is this lake? Wikipedia says the bus is near it. Can't find it in any reference other than Wikipedia. Nearest lake on the map is unnamed and 31/2 miles away. Just wondering where it is so I can go check it out for ice fishing...thanks
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

GoNorth

Re: Lake Wentitika???

Postby GoNorth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:28 am

I found some more references in google, all stating that CM died near that lake IN Denali National Park.
Google Maps says it's quite far away from the bus; rather in the middle of nowhere, but within the boundaries of the park.

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Lake+Wentitika+&hl=de&ll=63.338113,-150.658951&spn=0.072099,0.184021&sll=63.868581,-149.854546&sspn=0.017692,0.078707&t=h&hq=Lake+Wentitika&z=12

Husky

Postby Husky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks, Go North. Don't think I'll be going ice fishing out there. I wonder how Google decided to name that lake "Wentitika" on google maps? That name isn't included in the Dept. of Interior "Dictionary of Alaska Place Names", the Delorme Alaska Atlas or any topographic map that I can find. Of course Google maps are pretty inaccurate when it comes to Alaska geographic features... for instance that same link that shows "Lake Wentitika" also mislabels the Muddy River as "Mckinley River".

That fictional location for "Lake Wentitika" is at least 50 miles from the bus. And there aren't any other lakes within 3 miles of the bus so I wonder why the wikipedia article says the bus is located near this lake. Makes no sense since the bus is actually located along the Stampede trail where it crosses the Sushana River.

Then it looks like hundreds of referenced articles on google search lead right back to the wikipedia article with the faulty location. I don't know if wikipedia does any kind of fact checking but this kind of basic factual error in the first paragraph of the article about "Christopher Mccandless" makes everything else in the article questionable as well.

I guess it's similar to all the other "myths" that grew out of Jon Krakauer's book and that people keep repeating regardless of other evidence...
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:09 am

I have no idea about this lake and after reading this discussion I wanted to know about this lake so, I found its location on Google but I can’t find any satisfactory answer about it. Is there any member who can talk about it?

Return to “Discussions on Alaska”