Bridge over the Teklanika?

Here you can discuss anything relating to Alaska and this story.
zepper

Bridge over the Teklanika?

Postby zepper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Just got done reading article in Outside magazine "The Christopher McCandless obsession problem" about the danger and deaths and all the rescues of the pilgrims who make their way to the bus and it got me thinking.... Why not just build a bridge over the river? nothing elaborate could even be a rope bridge. Some i guess would say it would take away from the "journey" but would it be any different from putting rails on Half dome in Yosemite or ladders on Mt.Everest for assistance?. The authorities complain about the bus but i am sure they like the dollers it stimulates for the locals, they could fund it or maybe Chris family could have it buit. I hope to be one of those pilgrims one day and still return home safe!
If this has been talked about before - i missed it, and just disregard this post.

erikhalfacre

Re: Bridge over the Teklanika?

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:36 am

There is a group of folks interested in seeing a small footbridge over the Teklanika River. The group includes Carine McCandless, the Ackermann family (family of the young woman who recently drowned during the crossing,) and Etienne Gros, the French traveler that was with Claire when she drowned.

There are people that believe a bridge would make it too easy to get out there and ruin the spirit of the adventure. These people have clearly forgotten that a cable tram over the river existed when Chris was there, and people who visited the bus and that area had access to it for quite some time.

So rather than thinking of it as putting a ladder up Everest, think of it as trying to replace a means of crossing that was vandalized and destroyed.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Just got done reading article in Outside magazine "The Christopher McCandless obsession problem" about the danger and deaths and all the rescues of the pilgrims who make their way to the bus and it got me thinking.... Why not just build a bridge over the river? nothing elaborate could even be a rope bridge. Some i guess would say it would take away from the "journey" but would it be any different from putting rails on Half dome in Yosemite or ladders on Mt.Everest for assistance?. The authorities complain about the bus but i am sure they like the dollers it stimulates for the locals, they could fund it or maybe Chris family could have it buit. I hope to be one of those pilgrims one day and still return home safe!
If this has been talked about before - i missed it, and just disregard this post.

You have a very nice point. Yes, why they should have not think that beautiful ways for the problem :)
Web Design Integration

johnlongua

Postby johnlongua » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:53 am

Learn something new that I have not met yet.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:17 am

zepper wrote:Just got done reading article in Outside magazine "The Christopher McCandless obsession problem" about the danger and deaths and all the rescues of the pilgrims who make their way to the bus and it got me thinking.... Why not just build a bridge over the river? nothing elaborate could even be a rope bridge. Some i guess would say it would take away from the "journey" but would it be any different from putting rails on Half dome in Yosemite or ladders on Mt.Everest for assistance?. The authorities complain about the bus but i am sure they like the dollers it stimulates for the locals, they could fund it or maybe Chris family could have it buit. I hope to be one of those pilgrims one day and still return home safe!

Zepper! Are you talking about this bridge? Image

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:50 am

Kayleigh, that appears to be the bridge over the savage river much further upstream right next to the park road, less than a mile from it on a short scenic loop that probably sees a thousand tourists a day during the summer. It's a long way from the Stampede Trail.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:46 am

erikhalfacre wrote:Kayleigh, that appears to be the bridge over the savage river much further upstream right next to the park road, less than a mile from it on a short scenic loop that probably sees a thousand tourists a day during the summer. It's a long way from the Stampede Trail.

erikhalfacre, I am glad to see your informative post. You help me a lot to clear my confusion. Can you talk about the Stampede Trail and share some images of this trail; moreover did you go there ever?

Richardcob

Bridge over the Teklanika

Postby Richardcob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 am

Its not the longest bridge in the world, and its also not the longest bridge over water.

Elenochkafogueddy

Bridge over the Teklanika

Postby Elenochkafogueddy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:17 am

I just feel that Archbang and of course Bridge Linux gives you the tools to hand to get Arch up and running.
Дивергент глава 3 За стеной (2016) http://vk.cc/4T0qGq

Return to “Discussions on Alaska”