Woman dies trying to cross the Teklanika.

Here you can discuss anything relating to Alaska and this story.
Ascetic

Re: Woman dies trying to cross the Teklanika.

Postby Ascetic » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:07 pm

stilltrekker wrote: From the way his story is depicted, Chris made friends with plenty of "salt-of-the-earth," "Everyman" kind of folks. In fact, it appears that he preferred to associate with blue collars (or no collars) than white. I have no doubt that he would have welcomed these guys into his camp and had a good conversation sitting around the campfire with them, beer or no beer.

Who's to say? Chris certainly associated with blue collar types, but he also called the people with whom he worked in Bullhead City "plastic." Like anyone, Chris is a complex personality who resists our attempts, and your attempt, to reduce him to a man of the people.

Understandably, he preferred the genuineness of some members of the working class over the vainglory of his parents and the Annandale bourgeois, but to think that the blue collar masses are not without their own pretenses is incredibly naive.

pezar

Postby pezar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 am

I have made my point, without too much more trying.

Carry on.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:20 pm

I was told by someone to come check this site out because someone referred to me as a redneck asshole. Yes, I am a redneck and an asshole. The picture is of me and a bunch of buddies. I live in Fairbanks and take my moose buggy out there and hunt that entire area. I spend lots of time in Healy Alaska during the summer and have many friends there. Most of the people that live in Healy think McCandles was a nut case. I've spent lots of time out in the bush and it can be rough. I go prepared but also live on the edge. Many people die every year up here. Here are more pictures from that trip.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Ascetic wrote:The thing I hate about these kinds of "I can't believe it hasn't happened sooner" articles, is that they never take into account the hundreds of people who have visited the bus without incident. They always focus on the mishaps. To my knowledge, this is the first person to die attempting to visit the bus.

Granted, some inexperienced people will head up to the bus to see where Chris died, but the fact that hundreds have gone in and out without injury is proof that not everyone is a lower-48 greenhorn.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, "Fuck the Alaskan locals."

I'd like to see ANY of them live in the wild for four months with nothing more than a .22 and a 10lb. bag of rice.

Your a true dickhead! We don't do it because its stupid! He died because of it dumbass! If your prepared you can live a long time out there. Done, got the badge. And don't post pictures you know nothing about dickhead. That is me and my buddies. We did have a good time.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Posted this on our local Alaskan Web Boards.
HERE IS ALASKA'S NEW ENEMY. THIS GUY WANTS TO COME TO ALASKA IN THE WORST WAY AND GO INTO THE WILDERNESS BUT THINKS ALL ALASKAN LOCALS ARE *******'S. IF YOU SEE THIS GUY SOMEDAY AND HE IS IN NEED OF HELP BECAUSE HE'S STUCK IN THE WILD REMIND HIM YOUR A LOCAL BEFORE YOU SAVE HIS ***. IF HE'S REALLY A BADASS HE WOULD RATHER DIE LIKE HIS HERO.

Chris_Mcandles

Postby Chris_Mcandles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Chris died in the wild with a.22 and bag of rice. he didn't survive.

The funny thing is that you say "that redneck probably never read "Into the Wild". Well, there's two simple responses to that.

First off. Up her we do not glorify people going on "walkabouts" into the wild. This state is harsh and unforgiving and will kill anyone on this forum in no time. I have a list of seasoned outdoorsmen friend in Alaska who have died due to exposure, boats flipping, animal attacks, falling from cliffs, avalanches, etc. Our most well known ex-senator just died in a plane crash a month ago, one of something like 10 plane crashes this summer.

Additionally, in Alaska we read both "hatchet" and "Into the Wild" in most middle schools. We tend to be more interested in novels where people survive as that has more than a purpose.

As to us not wanting any of you in our state? We probably don't care too much if you didn't come up here and act like yuppies. If you just shut the hell up and got into the wilderness and either survived or died...alone, we wouldn't care. But what ends up happening is your .22 jams and you don't know how to fix it, or you get hurt and use your GPS phone to call 911. Then suddenly we're stuck with a 25000$ rescue bill because "I'm smarter than them dumb redneck Alaskans...hurr!"

And one last thing,
Get some real shoes. You're about as outdoorsy as a city boy who found a rocky field and decided to take a picture trying to look cool.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Chris_Mcandles wrote:Chris died in the wild with a.22 and bag of rice. he didn't survive.

The funny thing is that you say "that redneck probably never read "Into the Wild". Well, there's two simple responses to that.

First off. Up her we do not glorify people going on "walkabouts" into the wild. This state is harsh and unforgiving and will kill anyone on this forum in no time. I have a list of seasoned outdoorsmen friend in Alaska who have died due to exposure, boats flipping, animal attacks, falling from cliffs, avalanches, etc. Our most well known ex-senator just died in a plane crash a month ago, one of something like 10 plane crashes this summer.

Additionally, in Alaska we read both "hatchet" and "Into the Wild" in most middle schools. We tend to be more interested in novels where people survive as that has more than a purpose.

As to us not wanting any of you in our state? We probably don't care too much if you didn't come up here and act like yuppies. If you just shut the hell up and got into the wilderness and either survived or died...alone, we wouldn't care. But what ends up happening is your .22 jams and you don't know how to fix it, or you get hurt and use your GPS phone to call 911. Then suddenly we're stuck with a 25000$ rescue bill because "I'm smarter than them dumb redneck Alaskans...hurr!"

And one last thing,
Get some real shoes. You're about as outdoorsy as a city boy who found a rocky field and decided to take a picture trying to look cool.

Well said!
The first mistake you can make up here is not respecting the outdoors. Had a buddy die this summer on a trip wheeling. He was out walking taking a couple photos of a waterfall and slipped and fell in the small steep ravine. The undertow pulled him down and he drown after an attempt by another buddy to try and rescue him.
I work here as a firefighter and in 15yrs I have seen approximately 15 bear attacks in person. They always rip the back of there heads off and tear holes in there asses since the victim is balled up. Lets all sit back and remember are friend Timothy "Snackwell" Treadwell. If you don't know him look it up! I have personally hauled out a couple of people with broken arms and legs. I've treated probably 100 people who suffered from minor to severe hypothermia. The list goes on. Not trying to scare anyone but this is reality. Know what the chances are when you go out there. It doesn't take much to get yourself in a world of hurt. I am not trying to say I am better. I have taken many chances. Some might say its experience that got me out alive and others might say its luck. Maybe I was lucky that nothing compounded a bad situation. I will say that the key to survival out here is keeping a cool collected head if you do get in a bind. and if you don't believe that I get INTO THE WILD here you go....

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Kodiak and Chris,

Clearly, neither of you bothered to read my comments in the broader context of the thread. I’m only going to say this one time, so read along closely.

Pezar had made the following comment:

“I really don't think we should make the Magic Bus into an idol, as a lot of people seem to be doing. It isn't about a location. This sort of logic is how the worship of Jesus Christ came to mean fancy buildings that were taller than anything else in town where an unnaturally celibate man keeps gold crosses.”

He was basically saying, “Look, it’s a shame that most people who go to the bus are idolizing Chris and turning him into some kind of demigod.”

To which I responded:

“Judging from some of the pictures I've seen on the internet, a lot of people visit the bus who probably have little concern for Chris' ideals: i.e., beer-guzzling rednecks who stop by while out “muddin’” in the backcountry.”

I was saying that although some people may see Chris that way, not everyone does. I used your pictures (if they are really you – anyone can grab pics off the web and claim they belong to them) as a tongue-in-cheek example of people who probably didn’t care much about turning Chris into a demigod.

So, what exactly are you upset about? The “asshole redneck” comment was never intended to be a personal jab. It was an object lesson that was apparently lost on you. Are you mad because you really do see Chris as a demigod? Because that was precisely my point: namely, that you probably don’t! And from what you’ve said so far in your posts, it doesn’t sound as though you idolize him.

And Chris, you mistakenly write, “The funny thing is that you say ‘that redneck probably never read ‘Into the Wild.’ Well, there's two simple responses to that.’” I never said you hadn’t read “Into the Wild.” I said you probably hadn’t read Tolstoy or Thoreau. Or, hadn’t you bothered to actually read what I wrote?

Oh, and the last time I checked, the Alaskan State Highway patrol bills the person being rescued; not you. So get your facts straight.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Clearly, neither of you bothered to read my comments in the broader context of the thread. I’m only going to say this one time, so read along closely.

Oh, I have read closely. You seem to know more about Alaska from your vast knowledge of searching the internet and drinking Latte's while reading the Hitchhikers Guide to Alaska at the local Barnes and Noble. You want to come here back coutry traveling and say loud and clear "Fuck the Alaskan locals".

He was basically saying, “Look, it’s a shame that most people who go to the bus are idolizing Chris and turning him into some kind of demigod.”

This I agree with. The bus has been turned into a shrine. Not saying its right or wrong. But I don't feel anything special should be done to the area because of him. Honestly that is my hunting area first and foremost. I don't want it filled with people. I read the book 10 yrs ago or when it came out. I thought it was a good book but nothing more. It didn't change my life but it did make me think more about taking advantage of my backyard and be prepared. They have a book you can write in at the bus to leave some words. If you ever get there I wrote the joke about the bear fucking a guy in the wild. (Thats the beer guzzling redneck in me)

I was saying that although some people may see Chris that way, not everyone does. I used your pictures (if they are really you – anyone can grab pics off the web and claim they belong to them) as a tongue-in-cheek example of people who probably didn’t care much about turning Chris into a demigod.

Yes that is me, my friend Josh with the beard and Chase the young fella we met the night before who wanted to go to the bus. I also gave two hikers from Chech republic a ride out that night at 2:30am. We almost lost my truck in the river on the way out. Heed the warnings of that river. Times are very important for crossing. I think i have posted enough photos to prove it is me!

So, what exactly are you upset about? The “asshole redneck” comment was never intended to be a personal jab. It was an object lesson that was apparently lost on you. Are you mad because you really do see Chris as a demigod? Because that was precisely my point: namely, that you probably don’t! And from what you’ve said so far in your posts, it doesn’t sound as though you idolize him.

It upsets me that some over educated kid thinks he knows more than people who live here. We have our hippees that look for that kind of lifestyle that Chris was. Then there are the back country hunters and travelors that work hard and live hard here. There is a big difference. I have read many of your post and you talk about wanting to disappear because you don't want to pay back your school loans because you might have to work hard or get a second job. Sorry but that was your choice in life. That kind of thinking is going to fix the country. Then you spout about a redneck who works his ass off for everything he has. It doesn't matter if it was aimed at me or not! Alaskan locals are hard working people and deserve the freedom to go wherever we want in our state. We've earned it! You just graduated from school and you think someone owes you something.

And Chris, you mistakenly write, “The funny thing is that you say ‘that redneck probably never read ‘Into the Wild.’ Well, there's two simple responses to that.’” I never said you hadn’t read “Into the Wild.” I said you probably hadn’t read Tolstoy or Thoreau. Or, hadn’t you bothered to actually read what I wrote?

Its not about what you wrote, its about what you meant! You think we're all a bunch of idiots and your over educated mind will get you through anything. If anything it will be the biggest thing that will hurt you. School of hard knocks is where I graduated.
Oh, and the last time I checked, the Alaskan State Highway patrol bills the person being rescued; not you. So get your facts straight.

WAKE UP!!!! Up here the next guy you see could be the one rescuing you! Your ungrateful! You will fail in life with your kind of attitude.
Watch this link:http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=60613332

Bgreen

Postby Bgreen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 am

This is a very sad display, please respect others! even if they dont agree with your views.

Return to “Discussions on Alaska”