Following in Chris's Footsteps

Here you can discuss anything relating to Alaska and this story.
takhininurse

Following in Chris's Footsteps

Postby takhininurse » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Everyone: This is my first post. It cocerns a 22 year old person who in August 2016 had to be airlifted from the Magic Bus by helicopter by Alaska State Troopers from Fairbanks, Alaska. I need to find some more detailed info on this story. I will be back with a new post update shortly.

takhininurse

Re: Following in Chris's Footsteps

Postby takhininurse » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Everyone: This post gives some detail to my first post under the Topic: Following in Chris's Footsteps. It is a CBC News story of a 22 year old man named Matthew Sharp who had to be rescued from " The Magic Bus" via helicopter by Alaska State Troopers, Luckily Matthew Sharp had an emergency locator beacon which he activated while recovering in a bruised and beat up state in the Magic Bus after almost dying while crossing the Teklanika River. If Chris McCandless in 1992 had a similar emergency locator beacon: perhaps once activating it he could have been rescued an not dying of starvation lying in his bed inside the Magic Bus. Perhaps in 1992 emergency locator beacons had not yet been invented. So sad so very sad. To read this CBC News story go to the web link: cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/into-thewild-manitoban-matthew-sharp-1.3738319

takhininurse

Postby takhininurse » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Everyone: I already have submitted a second post relating to this 22 year old man who was airlifted in the last week from the Magic Bus. Here again is the website link to this CBC News story. This 22 year old named Matthew Sharp was lucky he had an Emergency Beacon device which he activated and hence was rescued by Alaska State Troopers. It is really really sad that Chris McCandless in 1992 did not have the same Emergency Beacon device. If he had he would not have died alone in the Magic Bus. Perhaps they had not been invented yet? So sad so sad so sad. The CBC News
link to read this story is: cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/into-thewild-manitoban-matthew-sharp-1.3738319

takhininurse

Postby takhininurse » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone: Under the topic heading " Impossible Journey" there were divergent opinions as to whether those backpackers who trek along the Stampede Trail as far as the location of Earthsong Lodge( a summer tourist getaway vacation destination) , then along the dirt road, and finally along the old mining trail will reach the Magic Bus where Chris McCandless lay down in his bed and unfortunately died on August/18/1992 are reckless and foolish or wise. The Earthsong Lodge is owned by Jon Tierenberg( a retired Alaskan Denali Park ranger) and his wife. On their website in an information box of things for visitors to do in Denali State Park, Alaska there is an item to click on which then provides info on the " Into the Wild" Jon Krakauer book and provides extremely valuable info to the Stampede Trail backpackers who are following in Chris McCandless's footsteps of 1992. Jon Tierenberg mentions that the many backpackers making this journey pass by the Earthsong Lodge on their trek. Tierenberg advises those trekkers who ask: to make the trek to the Magic Bus in May or June or from the beginning of September as these are the months when the Teklihana River posseses the greatest possibility of being SAFELY TRAVERSED. Tierenberg advises that if you think the Teklihana is too deep or running too fast from glaciel melt water then RESPECT THE RIVER AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS IT. Chances are that during July and August the Teklihana is too dangerous to cross. If you do not believe this then please check and read the CBC News story dated August/17/2016. Matthew Sharp the 22 year old Canadian man from Manitoba attempted to cross the Teklihana, lost his footing and was swept down river. Luckily he was able to grab a tree and pull himself to the riverbank. He trekked to the Magic Bus. The next day he awoke in the bed where Chris McCandless died in 1992 and found himself weakened and severely bruised. He then smartly realized there was no was he could make the return trek traversing the Teklihana River. He then reluctantly activated his Emergency Location Beacon device which sent an emergency signal which was received by Alaska State Troopers. He was airlifted by helicopter to Fairbanks, Alaska. HE IS LUCKY TO BE ALIVE. HIS EMERGENCY LOCATOR BEACON DEVICE SAVED HIS LIFE. Guess what he attempted crossing the Teklihana in August. Tierenberg advises NO CROSSING OF THIS RIVER IN JULY AND AUGUST. I got the impression from some posts that this trek to the bus is not really dangerous as there have been few deaths related to this trek. That is true. A Swiss lady in 2010 drowned crossing the Teklihana. Her partner almost died and pulled her lifeless body from the river but resuscitation efforts to revive her failed. Perhaps most trekkers have crossed safely because their crossings were not in July and August. Those trekkers who crossed in July and August and survived are either REALLY LUCKY that they found a SAFE spot to cross or REALLY LUCKY that they attempted to cross in an UNSAFE LOCATION AND SURVIVED. just like Matthew Sharp did recently in August 2016. Chris McCandless's experience was no different than the experience of Matthew Sharp in August 2016. The only difference was the outcome: Matthew lived because he had an Emergency Locator Beacon device and sadly Chris died because he possessed no such life saving device. Most probably in 1992 Emergency Locator Beacons had not yet been invented. For certain satellite phones did not exist in 1992.

takhininurse

Postby takhininurse » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone: I want to correct an error in my last post. I falsely named the river as the Teklihana River which stopped Chris McCandless in 1992 and necessitated Matthew Sharp in 2016 who smartly realized that because of his bruised body and weakened condition after he was almost swept away by the raging Teklanika River he in no way could make the return trek and recross this river: he needed to call for help to be rescued by activating his Emergency Locator device. The correct name of this river is the Teklanika River.

Subbotaisows

Following in Chriss Footsteps

Postby Subbotaisows » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 am

The nice part of that story is that he is still with us through his work, I think his name will live on forever. Pity the powers that be couldnt have named a valley or mountain after him. Or have they?

Return to “Discussions on Alaska”