Was Chris crazy for what he did or courageous?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Ashbaby424

Was Chris crazy for what he did or courageous?

Postby Ashbaby424 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:43 pm

I believe that Chris was courageous for what he did. I think he should have brought more supplies with him and food, but I respect him for what he did. He had a different outlook on life than most people. He believed that beauty was found in nature and freedom rather than being smart and having a lot of money. Chris believed in appreciating the little things and making every moment count. Therefore I believe that Chris just thought there was more to life than what he was dealing with and he wanted to go out and find it.

MaryEE

Re: Was Chris crazy for what he did or courageous?

Postby MaryEE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm

In my opinion, he was both crazy and courageous. He's crazy for thinking that he could leave everything behind and live completely off of the land, but he proved that it could be done which is what makes him courageous.

intothegreatwild

Postby intothegreatwild » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm

yes i think he was so fearless to do those thing by his own, people would scare to death if they hear a wolf howling from a mile away or those moment in the river by canoe on the whit water....he was just thoughtless in a good way.i hoped most of do just do a little bit of things he has done.....and feel like he felt...alone but overloaded...

Wbhscruce

Postby Wbhscruce » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:58 pm

I think he was courageous for advancing into the States and leaving behind everything he had except for a few personal possessions. I think, in a sense, he had always wanted to leave he just did not know how or when to do it. I think right after he graduated college was the best time for him to go. That way when/if he came back, he would have his degree and be able to find a job. If he left right after high school, he would not have that to fall back on and he would have a harder time getting back to life.

wbhsgilbert

Postby wbhsgilbert » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

I think he was a little crazy to go into the wild and barely bring the supplies he really needed to survive. Though, I do really belive that it was very courageous of him. I'm pretty sure there's few people in this world that would have the courage to go out into the wild with as little of supplies as he did and expect to come back perfectly fine. He's very different from others. I think he was more courageous than he was crazy, but he did lack common sense.

Isabella2

Postby Isabella2 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:00 pm

I think Chris Is courageous, but not a bit of me thinks he was crazy. He clearly did not want to die, he went through a painful death starving, waiting to be found, when he could have just shot himself and got it over with. So I think he brought as much supplies as he needed for the amount of time he planned to stay "In The wild". With a terrible turn of events he couldn't have predicted, he was trapped. But he wasn't crazy, In my perspective, he just didn't think it would be a problem getting out when he was done.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”