McCandless on California Gold with Huel Howser

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
anonymous1

McCandless on California Gold with Huel Howser

Postby anonymous1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:18 am

I was watching pbs with Calfornia Gold with Huel Howser on Mono Lake and during the show he calls to a swimmer in the water and asks him to come to shore. The swimmer does it and tells Howser how it's a little salty and goes on to tell him how the salt hurts his cuts and about his car getting stuck. Worth a look to the people that knew him.

nickparis

Re: McCandless on California Gold with Huel Howser

Postby nickparis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:15 am

Are you saying that you think the swimmer is Chris? where could we see this footage? is it available on the net somewhere?

anonymous1

Postby anonymous1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:35 pm

It is not available on the net.
apparently there are 2 shows on Mono Lake by Huell Howser California Gold. Apparently one aired in 1992, I have no idea when it was filmed. The other was aired in 2008 and contained footage from the eppisode in 1992. eppisode #138, and #311. I think I was watching the 2008 version but plot liner notes on it said it contained almost the full episode from 1992. here's a link to the website if you think I might be right. Mono Lake is less than 200 miles from where McCandless car was found isn't it, and would of been attractive to people around that area probably at that time.

Mervin

Postby Mervin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:56 am

Hi, I read your posts and found that possibility very intriguing, and found some interesting things. After hitting a dead end on you tube, I googled and got more dead ends. I learned there were in fact two videos, the original filmed in 1992, and one in 2008, entitled to the effect of fifteen years later. The 2008 video indeed contains footage from the 1992 show. One thing I found that really got my interest going was a still picture of Huell Howser standing in front of Mono Lake with low and behold a swimmer that does indeed resemble Chris! A bit more searching and I found a university educational archive site of many of Huell's shows listed! I clicked the 1992 show and watched a 28 min video, but no scene with the swimmer? In the video Huell was wearing the same clothes as in the picture I saw? Editing I guess? I clicked on the video from 2008 and it played audio with no video! Just my luck! When I pushed pause it would freeze and a still picture would come up so I would do thi repeatedly until it drove me crazy! My conclusion, the 2008 video is 1 hour long, half from 1992 half from 2008. The audio from 1992 half has way more footage from 1992 than the original, I am certain the scene with the swimmer interview that resembles Chris will be in the 2008 video, and would love to see it! I think this topic surely deserves more attention and from someone like Chris's sited who could surely identify if it was him or not in the video. Good eye on your part for catching that! I sure hope to read a post from someone soon that will answer this question once and for all!

Mervin

Postby Mervin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 am

Hi, I read your posts and found that possibility very intriguing, and found some interesting things. After hitting a dead end on you tube, I googled and got more dead ends. I learned there were in fact two videos, the original filmed in 1992, and one in 2008, entitled to the effect of fifteen years later. The 2008 video indeed contains footage from the 1992 show. One thing I found that really got my interest going was a still picture of Huell Howser standing in front of Mono Lake with low and behold a swimmer that does indeed resemble Chris! A bit more searching and I found a university educational archive site of many of Huell's shows listed! I clicked the 1992 show and watched a 28 min video, but no scene with the swimmer? In the video Huell was wearing the same clothes as in the picture I saw? Editing I guess? I clicked on the video from 2008 and it played audio with no video! Just my luck! When I pushed pause it would freeze and a still picture would come up so I would do thi repeatedly until it drove me crazy! My conclusion, the 2008 video is 1 hour long, half from 1992 half from 2008. The audio from 1992 half has way more footage from 1992 than the original, I am certain the scene with the swimmer interview that resembles Chris will be in the 2008 video, and would love to see it! I think this topic surely deserves more attention and from someone like Chris's siter who could surely identify if it was him or not in the video. Good eye on your part for catching that! I sure hope to read a post from someone soon that will answer this question once and for all!

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:38 am

http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/1992/12/10/mono-lake-californias-gold-311/

heres the full episode right here. but where is the guy swimming up and talking to the host???

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Love your name, madmaxx1221! Just wanted to say that!!

nickparis

Postby nickparis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:53 am

I watched the whole 1992 episode and could not see the swimmer.

Perhaps you could expand your info or post a link.

It would be an amazing find as no footage of Chris is available.

Best,

Nick

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:30 pm

fredmerlin wrote:Love your name, madmaxx1221! Just wanted to say that!!

Thanks!

Mervin

Postby Mervin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 am

I found the 1992 episode and watched it, then found the 2008 episode as well. When I tried to watch it it was only audio, until you pushed pause, when paused a still image would appear. So I listened to almost the whole 2008 episode, pausing a lot to see what still image I could see, then near the end while listening I heard Huell talking to the swimmer and I pushed pause and there was the image of the swimmer in question. Let me state my opinion, the 2008 episode is comprised of a 1 hour special, the first half footage from 1992, the second half footage from 2008. In the 1992 footage Huell is wearing certain clothes and is less aged and grey. In the 2008 footage he is closer cut more grey hair and more visibly older, and it is my opinion that when he is talking to the swimmer he is wearing the same clothes, has more grey closer cut hair, and is more aged as this footage is obviously from the 2008 footage! This is my opinion and I am only familiar with the slim choice of pictures of Chris and didnt obviously know him, so I hope some one who has the knowledge of Chris will verify(or correct) my opinion. The post with the link Chapman in it is we're I was able to find my info, it is some sort of university archives.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”