Can anyone relate to me?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
poppyallan

Can anyone relate to me?

Postby poppyallan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm

The story of Christopher McCandless has truly changed my life. After reading the book and watching the film I have fallen in love with his character, his strength and determination. However I feel like this infatuation is wrong, that I have no right to his personal life and story the way I do. It feels wrong to sit around watching the film and wish that I could live like him. What I want to know is if there is anyone else that feels like this and how I can appreciate him in a more respectful way? I feel like if he knew that all these people had 'obsessions' with him, he would be outraged as this wasn't his goal. I hate to think of being part of a 'cult' and having a 'silly' phase or 'obsession' when I know deep down it is not like that... One day I want to travel the world, give up everything and just go off like he did, however I am fourteen (Yes, I know- I'm young and this is not a 'phase') and there's no way I could do it now. Another thing, how can I keep up this will to see the world and escape like Chris did? I feel a lot weaker than him but I never want to give in to the expectations of society...
I apologise if I sound like a teenage fan girl, but I assure you it is not as pathetic as that- McCandless's story has helped me see the world in a different way and I am perpetually glad that I discovered it. I have no idea what I would be like if I hadn't.
Last edited by poppyallan on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mervin

Re: Can anyone relate to me?

Postby Mervin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am

In many ways I can relate to your fellings, I think in some ways he would not like all the attention because that was not his goal while he was on his adventures. However, he had mentioned he might write a book when he was done his adventures so others could be inspired by his accomplishments. Seeing as he did not make it out I would think that this falls under the thoughts he had about writing a book scenario, I do think part of him would be proud of seeing just how big an impact he had on many people's life's! I too sometimes feel weird about the fact that I am so inspired by his story! You see maybe it was an affliction of his generation, I was born a couple years after him and all my life had that burning itch to go away and live off the grid! So did a two of my other good friends. I just only learned of Chris and his amazing story quite recently. My one friend does live a similar lifestyle to Chris. He disappears for years at a time, but still keeps in touch with his friends and family. When we were younger, your age ( 12-16 years old ) we did many risky things as Chris did, like jumping freight trains, hitchhiking, riding our bikes 1000kms to northern Ontario on a whim with no money. Never hudge adventures like his. We wanted to but doubted our abilities, and never wanted to leave our families too long. I still have the urge to do similar things, but now have 2 young sons that I could never be away from for too long. The things he did could be very dangerous nowadays at your age, you should be very careful if you plan on anything similar. I don't really mean things like going to alaska a little unprepared like him, but the things he did 20 years ago that would be very dangerous for a young ( did you say you were female?) like hitchhiking, there are lots of very bad people in this world that would do you harm! Always prepare and have a plan and the knowledge to tackle the difficult tasks you may encounter. Think it through and please be safe! To die trying to survive in the wilderness of Alaska would be one thing, but to be killed by some weirdo while getting a ride would be worse. I want to visit the bus one day, due to my abilities, and knowledge (or lack of it) I will take an atv. Don't feel bad for having those feelings! I don't know your circumstances, but if you need someone to talk to about something just ask, I'm hear to listen, whatever you do be save and please don't become a victim of some crime. Take care for now, best wishes!

Kalo95

Postby Kalo95 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 am

To Mervin,

Your story deeply intrigues me, as a screenwriter. I plan to create a cartoon featuring a character very similar to yourself, with a friend not unlike yours, going into the unknown just to escape from society and maybe find something about themselves. I am writing this episode to instill in my viewers a sense of romance with the outside, a new found longing to go beyond what is known, and the classic "follow your dream" lifestyle. I don't want to create a bunch of pseudo-McCandlesses motivated to follow some hippy expectation made by some Hollywood hack on the plasma screen. I want viewers to see what it's like to be truly independent, and to learn from an example rather than follow one. I see Chris as a good base from which to build my example, by "my example" I mean a character who symbolizes independence and adventure, and I see you as a reference point I can use to mold them. I understand if you don't understand, or want to respond, or wish to tell your story. I am only asking.

Sincerely,

Paolo C.

Mervin

Postby Mervin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 am

To paolo c
This is Mervin, sure I would be interested in telling you my story, the two friends I had mentioned are both now accounted for in the sense that their locations and doings are less secretive and unknown, one is a comedian who has left Canada for L.A California, he has travelled many places on this globe and hung out with some pretty interesting and famous people. The other, is the one I was referencing more to being like Chris mcCandless. But in a more dangerous and un-educated way. Some things we know of his doings are quit baffling, really silly and quit out there. Other times while being out there all alone no one truly knows what he was up to or where he was. He just wasn't where anyone knew! Twice in our lifetime his wanderings were for multiple years! Others for months at a time. For the last say almost decade he has held a very good job driving a garbage truck for the city of Toronto. But he still lived a wandering life, like living in his car, storage facilities, the streets, friends couches and such. He has ties and family in the north, and recently left his cushy job to go north and help his aging parent. Growing up they were an eccentric family! Strange but kind!my friend in question would give you the shirt off his back, and his last dime, and food! As kids we read a book about a man and his dog who travel across the USA, don't remember it's title, but some ideas I think we got from there. At age say 10-16 some of the things we did were downright dangerous and bad. We jumped on freight trains and went as far as they would take us, then we would try and get one back, but it never seemed to work out in our favor.no money or food we would raid people's gardens, or garages for food. Hitchhike our way home or take bikes from people's yards.we would often ride our bikes places with no money, sometimes 1000kms or more, and be gone for weeks and weeks, sleeping in the forest, or where the homeless slept, abandoned buildings, or unlocked cars that were broken down. We always had some story to phone home and tell our parents, so they wouldn't phone the police and report us missing. When high school came it was more just party time and our adventures stopped. Except that one friend, we didn't see him for over a year when he sent mail from the other side of the country, Vancouver. He lived in hostles, the streets, until he met a man who gave him a cabin to stay in and a job. He had to fix that cabin, it was out of the city and had grizzly bears around it! He road his bike, hit hiked or walked where ever he went. A lot is unknown of this time. He disappeared from there and no one knowers where he was for 2 1/2 years when he came back to Ontario with his truck drivers liscence. That's when he got his job for the city of Toronto. Now he left his job and went north to help his parents. He has shared some info of stuff over the years, like drug use, and being tormented by ghosts that follow him. He has some pretty compelling photos of these ghosts! I don't know what to make of what has happened to him! But he was always weird, and only got worse as he aged! He has always been a wanderer, a dreamer, and has all kinds of things he has tried to invent. He has stories that will make your jaw drop! Anyway that is some of our friends story.

Mervin

Postby Mervin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:50 am

To paolo c
If this is of interest to you send me an email to longnights72@gmail.com
And I will be glad to talk more.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”