Was Chris planning of rejoinging society?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
zackranton

Was Chris planning of rejoinging society?

Postby zackranton » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

I believe Chris wanted to join soceity after his trip to Alaska. Why else would he have all of his identification in his backpack with 300 dollars cash. If he really wanted to be completly off the grid, he would have gotten rid of his ID. What other use is there for it? If Chris wanted to find himself, why would he keep everything that labels him, where hes from, and all of his information. I think Chris just wanted to go to Alaska to experience living there, not to completely leave society behind. At first glance it seemed that Chris was running away with the idea of figuring out who he really is. But with deeper investigation it seems that Chris wasnt running, he just was so attracted to the wilderness he couldnt resist, but after he got it out of his system, he would rejoin society. McCandless just wanted to live by his own rules, he didn't like being told what to do "How i feed myself is none of the government's business. Fuck their stupid rules." said by Chris to Gallien when asked about a hunting license. I think Chris just wanted complete a dream of being free from all rules and live in the wilderness on his own, but after he completed this, he would start a real life in society.

David95

Re: Was Chris planning of rejoinging society?

Postby David95 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 am

I think he was planning on rejoining society I mean you covered all the bases so, I can't say much but I think he was smart enough to know that he couldn't live on the bus the rest of his life I wish all could have went well for Chris, although if did go as he planned would there be a book about him or would he be another person who survived nature it would have been nice if Ron would have adopted him too but then again I guess the book wouldn't have the same effect on a person if it were a happy ending

muffinman127

Postby muffinman127 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Was he planning on rejoining society? Well, I know for sure he never planned to leave it forever, he still wanted the ability to go back if he wanted to. This is evident because he didn't cut up important ID or his social insurance number. He even buried the plates to his car, and covered it in a tarp. He did rejoin society a couple times too, when he was down south he worked at a McDonalds and when we traveled up north he found work on a farm. He always had the opportunity to rejoin society if he ever wanted too, and their were some incidences where he did rejoin. But I can't assume if Chris had a planned time or season that he would go back home or find a new home. Maybe it was just assuring to him that he could end his adventure when ever he wanted too.

SHS2013Angel

Postby SHS2013Angel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I think Chris did want to come back but at same time did not want to. He wanted to live for sure but come back into society again I do not think so. i think he liked living out in the wild and being a part of nature but did not want to be part of society. I guess a better way to explain is in the book it says how he hitchhiked and in certain towns would stop to work and wait for spring in Alaska to come. I think he would live like this after the Alaska trip.
Britt

Return to “Discussions on Chris”