Was Chris planning of rejoinging society?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
zackranton

Was Chris planning of rejoinging society?

Postby zackranton » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I believe Chris wanted to join soceity after his trip to Alaska. Why else would he have all of his identification in his backpack with 300 dollars cash. If he really wanted to be completly off the grid, he would have gotten rid of his ID. What other use is there for it? If Chris wanted to find himself, why would he keep everything that labels him, where hes from, and all of his information. I think Chris just wanted to go to Alaska to experience living there, not to completely leave society behind. At first glance it seemed that Chris was running away with the idea of figuring out who he really is. But with deeper investigation it seems that Chris wasnt running, he just was so attracted to the wilderness he couldnt resist, but after he got it out of his system, he would rejoin society. McCandless just wanted to live by his own rules, he didn't like being told what to do "How i feed myself is none of the government's business. Fuck their stupid rules." said by Chris to Gallien when asked about a hunting license. I think Chris just wanted complete a dream of being free from all rules and live in the wilderness on his own, but after he completed this, he would start a real life in society.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”