My Respects to Chris McCandless

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
thewalldivision

My Respects to Chris McCandless

Postby thewalldivision » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 am

[b]I was questioning my whole entire life in december. I had no idea what I wanted to do. Where to go for university. just everything in my life. i must say that I was a bit depressed.

Then I watched into the wild. it blew my mind. It helped me find myself and what I wanted to do. Chris Showed me that there is so much more to life. He opened my eyes to the world

around me.. he really changed my life i would really like to pay his respects and go to the bus. which i plan to do. but before I do that i need some info about how to get there and if it

would be safe if I was to go alone? If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Kyle..

Ascetic

Re: My Respects to Chris McCandless

Postby Ascetic » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:25 am

Kyle,

My only question is: have you ever backpacked before? It's almost a ten mile hike out, and a ten mile hike back. That's twenty miles - so if you're planning on hoofing it, you're talking about a two day trip at minimum. You need to prepare accordingly: tent, change of clothes (you'll get wet crossing the rivers), food, etc. Also, winter is rapidly approaching that area. The highs are in the lower 60s, and at night, it's dropping down into the low 40s. By the end of the month, it'll be in the 30s at night. Have you considered whether you want to go in the winter, or in the spring?

I would discourage you from going alone. Not that bear are a major concern - they tend to steer clear of human beings for the most part - but there are some up in that area. I just watched a video someone shot going to the bus the other day, and there were bear tracks all along the Teklanika. If you do decide to go, forget the bear bells and spray, and bring a high powered rifle instead.

I think it's cool that you want to go. I'm planning on heading up there myself next summer. But I'm not going alone.

Ascetic.

thewalldivision

Postby thewalldivision » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 am

i plan to go next summer sometime in august.

bethc

Postby bethc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Its so insperational to see a post like this, i hope you manage to get to see the bus and good luck with the future (:

makkoblue

Postby makkoblue » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm

bethc wrote:Its so insperational to see a post like this, i hope you manage to get to see the bus and good luck with the future (:

Hey, I´m so far away here, but still the same. I hope you can do what so far is impossible for me. I don`t think it matters where you are from (Germany) I still ge the message. Good Luck!

Return to “Discussions on Chris”