Chris Mccandless, stupid or smart?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
hmcdonald

Chris Mccandless, stupid or smart?

Postby hmcdonald » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Chris Mccandless has been criticised and also idolized. He has been the center of Alaskan talk for many years now. Many people have different opinions about Chris, some believed that he was naive and stubborn the way that he threw his life away. Yet other peopl say that he is a hero how he left all of his possesions but a few behind and chose to live the hard life. In doing this, he chose to try and tackle the Alaskan wilderness. We believe that he was EXTREMELY naive and stupid. He was disrespectful to his family and put them through many years of suffering. If Chris had planned his trip more and had been more prepaired, it would have DEFINATELY changed his outcome and our thoughts about him.

Reed and Matthew. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek: :geek: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :roll:

mukuka

Re: Chris Mccandless, stupid or smart?

Postby mukuka » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am

I believe that Christopher McCandless was in fact a smart person because in the book it states that he is really good in school and he kept on getting straight A's except for one occasion where his teacher and him had a misunderstanding but other than that he was a clever student. While he was in Alaska he did all the things people would have expected only stupid people to do but he did that intentionally because he wanted to stay in the wild and he died because of a mistake that anyone could make about the berries so in my opinion i really do not think Chris was stupid i just think he had a unique and non-understandable kind of intelligence.

dannyP

Postby dannyP » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I believe in my personal opinion that no matter what you do in life you as a person are not stupid but may make stupid decisions. Chris is far from "stupid", he made the choice that not many people could ever wish to do in their lifetime. Chris had the desire to leave what we as a society call the "norm", we run about our daily lives without stopping to take any consideration for what we as a society take for granted. Chris grew up in this society with identification cards and the hustle of everyday life in the strife of always trying to make money so you could be sturdy and achieve everything we take for granted. Chris had the devotion to living a life the way man was supposed to, always on the road not counting on money or ID to get by, no grocery stores to get microwaveable dinners from. He wanted to live off the land completely for food and shelter with barely nothing on his back and because some people find the idea of that so far fetched they call him stupid and use the excuse that he died as their proof.

kyle101

Postby kyle101 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:13 pm

i think he was a smart person but he just wanted to get away from everybody and be and independant person he did not want to live in society he wanted to become part of the wild cause he thought that thats what god made peopole for to live off the land and not have cars and money and all those things. but i dont think he was to smart for not being fully prepared for his trip to alaska and he was incosiderate for leaving his family behind because they had raised him all his life he should have not just abandoned them like that. but i think he was smart because of his grades in school and the fact that he did graduate. he was both stupia and smart i think because he must have been samrt to make it all the way to alaska and not get caught by anyone. and still get a job and make money and all that without his parents ever finding anything out about him.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”