Does footage of the real Christopher McCandless exist?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Supertramp2012

Does footage of the real Christopher McCandless exist?

Postby Supertramp2012 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 am

I have hear somewhere that Ron Franz or Russel Fritz actually recorded Chris when he was in Colorado at a restaurant I believe. Does anybody have any more information on this subject. I could only pray and hope that somebody does have this video footage and lets the rest of the world see the real Christopher McCandless in Action. Without this footage the real story of Christopher McCandless is not complete I don't think. A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a million words.

Thanks for whoever does have this video and decides this is the time to share. Just remember this marks the 20th anniversary in which Chris walked "Into The Wild".

pezar

Re: Does footage of the real Christopher McCandless exist?

Postby pezar » Wed May 02, 2012 11:07 pm

My understanding is that such footage existed at one time, but it was lost after Ron/Russell died, and may no longer exist. It's not clear what happened to Russell's possessions once he died. In many cases the possessions of old people who die without a family or will are simply thrown in the trash. I've heard stories of senior-living complexes throwing beautiful old furniture, furnishings worth a lot of money, in dumpsters after the death of the owner. If the footage has indeed been destroyed it is a great loss.

yeeters

Re: Does footage of the real Christopher McCandless exist?

Postby yeeters » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:36 am

Hey! I know this is far too late, and it's frankly astounding to think of the time thats passed. 10 years, a whole decade! Its inspiring to see how long this community has been around for, and it brings joy to see his legacy continue on today. Anyway, now that sappiness is out of the way, a 20/20 film on McCandless's life was uploaded to YouTube some time ago. It was transferred from VHS to computer? I honestly don't really know. but heres the link, if you ever see this that is! Have good days and nights for the future, and safe travels in life!
“I'm not bitter. Why should I be bitter? I'm thrilled to death with life.”
― Johnny Cash

Return to “Discussions on Chris”