LOVE

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
SuperAplle

LOVE

Postby SuperAplle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I always wondered about how did Chris passes his 3 months in Alaska all by his own. What did he do on his daily routine? Didn't he miss friends? I do love to apreciate nature, but i also like to do it with someone by my side. How did he handle being alone without kissing anyone, feeling human warm? Didn't he miss people? I mean, this will sound kind of crazy :P , but didn't he miss sex?

I really love Chris story, and someday I would like to do it, by my own too, I just don't think I can do it. It's not very easy..

GoNorth

Re: LOVE

Postby GoNorth » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm

SuperAplle wrote:II mean, this will sound kind of crazy :P , but didn't he miss sex?

As far as we know from Krakauer's book, Chris didn't have less sex in Alaska than anywhere else before. ;)
Did he miss anything of that kind? Maybe, maybe not. He probably missed some human contact after a while, especially when he realized that he had to stay "in the wild" longer than intended (which seems to be the reason why he marked and commented this sentence about unshared happiness in one of the book by the end of July).
For the rest: We only know what we know, from his photos and the short notes on this one page. Which is not much.
Part of those 3 1/2 months (from the day he walked "into the wild" to the day he died in the bus) he was hiking around (the first 4 days until he reached the bus + the 3 weeks when he walked all the way west to the Toklat river and back), however the daily distances could not be very long as he also had to provide enough food for each day. Which he also had to spend a lot of time on during his stay at the bus. In addition to that, he had his books. But what else did he do? No idea. Privacy. :mrgreen:

adsouza

Postby adsouza » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:02 pm

"I love this book. I think it is the best book I have read so far"- Laura Dama
Laura and I share the same feelings about this book. I think it is a great story about how a man goes out into the wild and does what everyone else thinks is impossible. He studied plants and wild life so that he would be safe; unfortunately, it didn't completely work. He died because of the mold on the berry. I love the fact that he went out for such a long time. It is not easy to live off of bare essentials when you are young and alone.

Ger87

Postby Ger87 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Pretty sure his death was starvation. Reports of him dying of mould cannot be proven.

I'm with you on missing people. I like to go camping on own but only really last about two days without needing my wife or child beside me again.
For Chris I guess he got into a frame of mind where company was unnecessary or perhaps he never needed to change his frame and was just a loner, but we can only speculate.
Sex on the other hand for a person with a healthy sex life, I definitely would struggle the three and a half months without it.

Then again there is fool proof ways of answering sexual desires by yourself. I'l say no more :lol:

Return to “Discussions on Chris”