the sens of "Iris Fucyu"

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Taofighter

the sens of "Iris Fucyu"

Postby Taofighter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello all !

I just found what Chris means by this way to sign ( Iris Fucyu ) :
I ve tried to resolce this since a long time but it s very easy !!

not a flower, not the name of a friend ... just :

I ( chRIS ) FUC(ck) YU !!

he wrote that on a paper for his job... so he means " fuck society "...

Sorry for my english, i 'm french lol

Bye !!

Tao,

Chris, u are my brother !!

nagro

Re: the sens of "Iris Fucyu"

Postby nagro » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 am

no, im pretty sure it means IRS Fuck You, because he didnt want them taxing him or something.

*edit: i coulkd be wrong, it says iris not irs lolololol..........
Last edited by nagro on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 am

nagro wrote:IRS

Oh, IRS, of course. I had always wondered about the word "Iris" in this case, but now it's clear, of course. Thank you. :D

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:37 am

Where did he write this? Is there a picture?

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Moose200x wrote:Where did he write this?

On some kind of form he had to fill in for his work at Wayne's. It's mentioned in the book by Krakauer.

I haven't seen any picture of it.

pezar

Postby pezar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

GoNorth wrote:
Moose200x wrote:Where did he write this?

On some kind of form he had to fill in for his work at Wayne's. It's mentioned in the book by Krakauer.

I haven't seen any picture of it.

Wayne had him fill in a W-4, a form required for employees in the USA to fill out so they can be taxed correctly. Wages are heavily taxed in the US. The first W-4 said "Iris Fucyu" for a name, and he wrote EXEMPT across the top. What's interesting is the SECOND W-4, filled out in early 92, before Chris left for Alaska. He gave his correct name and SSN on that one. Why? I've long wondered if Chris had a premonition of his death in Alaska. He noted on the postcard he sent Wayne from Fairbanks, "If this proves fatal and you never hear from me again...". Why? If he thought he was going to die, yet still went, that would qualify as suicide in my book.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:08 pm

pezar wrote: He gave his correct name and SSN on that one. Why?

You mean, why did he first not write his real name and number etc. and later did it? Well, as usually, only Chris himself could (possibly) answer this question.
Ok, we could speculate: maybe the second time he trusted Wayne more than before. On the first form, he had written something like "none of your damn business", perhaps he didn't want to write such a thing again, after he and Wayne had become close friends.
But who knows, maybe there isn't even a clear reason for his different ways to deal with the forms. Maybe it was just his respective mood of the day? We already know that he made a lot of contradictory things in his life or at least in those 2 last years we know about. So to me the thing with the forms doesn't seem particularly amazing or so.

I still don't think he wanted to die.

pezar

Postby pezar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

GoNorth wrote:
pezar wrote: He gave his correct name and SSN on that one. Why?

You mean, why did he first not write his real name and number etc. and later did it? Well, as usually, only Chris himself could (possibly) answer this question.
Ok, we could speculate: maybe the second time he trusted Wayne more than before. On the first form, he had written something like "none of your damn business", perhaps he didn't want to write such a thing again, after he and Wayne had become close friends.
But who knows, maybe there isn't even a clear reason for his different ways to deal with the forms. Maybe it was just his respective mood of the day? We already know that he made a lot of contradictory things in his life or at least in those 2 last years we know about. So to me the thing with the forms doesn't seem particularly amazing or so.

I still don't think he wanted to die.

It's really hard to say, of course. I think he knew he might die, but maybe he wanted to believe that he was invincible, or he thought the odds didn't apply. He wanted to walk 500 miles to the sea, why would anybody in their right mind think that was possible? He seems to have underestimated Alaska and what the taiga could dish out. Only Chris knows for sure, so we never will.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”