why did chris go to college?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
goombla

why did chris go to college?

Postby goombla » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:14 am

The book cearly states he wasn't even considering going durring his senior year, but all of a sudden he decided he would obey his parents request and spend 4 years taking very unusual courses. I find myself debating this question while I decide whether I should go to college or not before I leave.

ellisd

Re: why did chris go to college?

Postby ellisd » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 am

from what i remember in the book, his parents told him he could be of more help[to causes he saw fit to help] with an education under his belt than w/out one.
also, i think it was his philosophy class that got him in a different mind set. or rather propelled him towards one.

pezar

Postby pezar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 pm

ITW doesn't say exactly. It does say that his parents went nuts when Chris told them he didn't need a college education, and they talked him into going. He still thought it was a waste of time and money. From what the book said, family friends paid for it, so he had no student loans. And college was cheap compared to now-Emory University, a private university, only charged $8,000 a year in the late 80s. Today a kid can pay $40-50k a year for Ivy League, and more like $20-30k for a place like Emory. And grants are rare-most help is in the form of loans. I would urge goombla to learn a trade instead. College has become just another money making racket, and there are no jobs anyway.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:10 am

pezar wrote:ITW doesn't say exactly. It does say that his parents went nuts when Chris told them he didn't need a college education, and they talked him into going. He still thought it was a waste of time and money. From what the book said, family friends paid for it, so he had no student loans. And college was cheap compared to now-Emory University, a private university, only charged $8,000 a year in the late 80s. Today a kid can pay $40-50k a year for Ivy League, and more like $20-30k for a place like Emory. And grants are rare-most help is in the form of loans. I would urge goombla to learn a trade instead. College has become just another money making racket, and there are no jobs anyway.

Exactly. That's the issue with most schooling really. If you don't go for a specific reason, like learning a certain trade, then it's more about going for the parties, and experience.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

lindseyguimont8

Postby lindseyguimont8 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I believe that Chris would always question what he was doing, but then follow through with what his family expected of him. College was a part of their plan for him and he wasn't going to ruin their plan for his. He was less selfish than what we tend to percieve him to be. He conformed to society very well but then could also just be Chris and be in the wild.

driley14

Postby driley14 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

I think that he went to college because he wanted to learn, nothing more difficult than that. He was raised correctly to where he knew that to be successful that you need a degree from college, which did not entirely sit in with him. Without college and a good education I do not think that he would have survived as long as he did in Alaska. Like others have said, his parents did “force” him to go college because they did not want Chris to waste his life and they believed that he could contribute to society in so many beneficial ways.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”