Living Like Chris Harder than it Looks?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
freeSpirit

Living Like Chris Harder than it Looks?

Postby freeSpirit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:41 am

okay im 21 and really want to live my life on the road. but i love and appreciate people/companionship wayy to much to want to travel alone.

in an ideal world, i would love to travel, hitchhike, train-hop, whatever with a mini-community of people. like 5 or so, or maybe even 10!

like i dont want a home, i just want to travel for as long as i can, and when i run out of cash, i'll go work for a few months.

anyways, regardless of my plans, is is possible at all to Vagabond-Style travel, like backpack/camp around the world with more than 2 people?

goombla

Re: Living Like Chris Harder than it Looks?

Postby goombla » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 am

Possibilities are limited only by your imagination! If that's ur dream, go for it. Where there's a will theres a way.
I do think however in few generations to come, a life like that will be extremely difficult to live.

When do you plan to leave??

Footloose

Postby Footloose » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 am

Dude it's easy, I've done it for the last two years of my life and I'm only 18. You simply learn to live cheaply and maybe get a bit of seasonal-work here and there. I play guitar as well so playing a pub-gig every two weeks or so gives me the required income to maintain my minimalist lifestyle. Let me fully fully encourage to just do it man! You definitely won't regret it :)
If atoms and particles behave in probabilistic ways, and our mind is made of atoms and particles, then how can free will exist?

Ralphy23

Postby Ralphy23 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I dont think i could live like that, because unlike chris i am actually really close to my family. He was only real close to his sister, not his parents, unlike me i am close with all my family members. Thats the kind of family we are, we stick close to each other but that is the type of family we are. I also dont get how you cant be close to your parents at all, i know its hard to know your dad cheated on your mom, but that happens to everyone. But you never know what kind of affect that can take on an individual person also, it might hit others harder than it would hit you. we are all wired differently no person is the exact same. But to answer this question yes i do think living like him was hard, having to be alone for a while and barely making money to get food. i dont think i would be able to work in the conditions he worked sometimes. its said in the book that he was a hard worker who didnt care what job he was doing.

Jd18

Postby Jd18 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Of course living with almost nothing is harder than everyone thinks. Hunting for your own food? Id say that a good amount of people on here dont even know how to order a pizza by themselves. Being able to kill animals, skin them, and know which meat to eat is very very hard, and if you dont have the right knowledge it can be very dangerous. Staying warm poses another problem. Keeping warm is one of the single hardest things to do when youre out in the wild. Especially in a cold place like Alaska. Knowing how to retain body heat is one of the most important survival tricks, and not many people know how. What chris did is very impressive and it is way harder to do then most people think. Especially for the amount of time that he did it.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”