I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
nagro

Re: I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby nagro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Steve, i would like to apologize for sounding like an a-hole. i will clear up my "i think your lying to yourself" statement. you said:

"I'll be back in my hometown this summer to make another hike to the bus-Not because a guy, who I feel, would've been a great friend did so, but, simply because I have the freedom to do it."

what i meant was that because you admire/respect/etc Chris, that is your reason your going to the bus. i didnt mean it in a negative way at all, but i didnt think you would hike out to the bus "just because you can." i think you did it because of Chris, but thats not a bad thing at all. anyways, if we could i would like to discuss why you think Chris died of "unfortunate circumstances."

gregory

Postby gregory » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:24 am

Ya!! no big deal!... :) you just feel strongly about him( Christopher), AT lest he will continue to exist in dataland forever, as someone for what ever reason? good ,bad or inbetween...but most of all he actioned on his believes....He`s a better man than me for it.

mike kramer

Postby mike kramer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm

@chriswasidiot I dont know if anyone said this yet but CHRIS HAD A MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitz093

Postby Kitz093 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:52 pm

I understand some people have opinions that Chris McCandless was a god damn moron, however, he didn't just left his family, lived in the wild, and die for no reason. He wanted to do the thing he loved which happend to be living in a bus in the middle of Alaska (and not the good part).

David95

Postby David95 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 pm

I don't see why people feel the need to constantly state negative opinions towards Chris MCcandless, at first I did not know what to think of him but realized that he was just tired of society and all of the drama that comes with everyday life him isolating himself and leaving his family I think he was tired of all the family politics his parent's relationship wasn't the greatest that could be a possible reason he left his home or that he was just tired of people trying to influence him so he cut all emotional ties and trekked all the way down to Mexico and all the way to Alaska I just was intrigued with the reasons as to why he decided to do this, I mean the possibilities are endless.

EmberMike

Postby EmberMike » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I don't hate Chris. I think he was foolish, in more ways than one and not only in regards to his Alaska adventures, but I don't hate him. I actually have a lot of respect for what he was about and his goals and intentions in leaving his old life behind to travel and get to Alaska.

I was disappointed to find that he held far too little respect for nature and the surroundings he put himself in, as well as his lack of preparedness and his disregard for the warnings he received right up to the point he got on the trail. I will forever wonder why Chris had no problem using modern means to travel and live in the wild, but refused touring more modern equipment and supplies with him. He was certainly physically capable of packing more gear on a long hike. And some additional supplies wouldn't have detracted from his experience in Alaska.

I also wonder why he didn't spend more time out of the wilderness but still within Alaska. He could have learned so much more about the environment, how to hunt local wildlife, how to survive better from the people who know the land well. I suspect that is why he gets so much criticism from Alaskans, because he went up there thinking he knew all he needed to know.

I don't hate Chris, and while I do respect him as a person, I think he was foolish and disrespectful of his environment.

jenny-intothewild

Postby jenny-intothewild » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Personally, i think that chris mccandless aka alexander supertramp is an inspiration and anyone who criticises chris obviously doesnt understand why he went out, why he wanted to get 'lost' in the wild. Personally, i, me, myself, i want to just be out there living my dream, the dream of walking europe and america and who cares about people who don't believe i can do it. I'm going to atleast try and if i die then... i sure do hope i wouldn't be 'hated' for living my dream

jenny-intothewild

Postby jenny-intothewild » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Personally, i think that chris mccandless aka alexander supertramp is an inspiration and anyone who criticises chris obviously doesnt understand why he went out, why he wanted to get 'lost' in the wild. Personally, i, me, myself, i want to just be out there living my dream, the dream of walking europe and america and who cares about people who don't believe i can do it. I'm going to atleast try and if i die then... i sure do hope i wouldn't be 'hated' for living my dream

ImACokeBoy

Postby ImACokeBoy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I personally dont think that he is an inspiration. Why would you want to leave a loving and caring upper middle class family and just decide to leave them behind in the dust. Yes his parents fought and argued all the time but that it no reason to just abandon your family for basically nothing then decide that I "will go have fun" living off the land... Theres a difference between living the dream and being crazy in this case. If he was living the dream, he would have wanted to come out of this alive, bring proper supplies, a decent supply of food for when he cant find any from what the land has to offer.

jakesnake66

Postby jakesnake66 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 pm

This is my first time to post. I'm amazed by this story and the overall response it's created. I don't like or dislike Chris. My only emotions associated with this story relate to the sadness of a life ended too soon, and some fear that his story would be in the least bit "inspirational." What Chris did may not qualify him as an "idiot," but his actions were absolutely unequivocally foolish, misguided, and monumentally selfish. Striking out on one's own does not absolve one of the responsibilities to those who love and have cared and provided for us. Forget his parents. I know they garner no sympathy from most. But that loving sister? What Chris did to her is unforgivable.

Chris's actions were so foolhearty as to be suicidal. Other than the fact that his last days were spent in the wild - with all its romance - Chris may as well have died scaling a mountain without climbing shoes, freezing to death without a coat, driving 150 on a curvy road, getting smashed by an 18-wheeler crossing the highway without looking, falling out of a boat without a life vest, or getting fatally bitten while casually handling rattlesnakes. If Chris had died in any of those other ways would people be lauding his "courage" or condemning his foolishness? When Chris went into the wild without proper training, lacking necessary supplies, without the first real experience preserving wild game, and without any consequential familiarity with his surroundings he essentially crossed the street without looking.

I'm sorry, I just fail to see the inspiration in this. And I hope to God above other young people don't strike out with the story of Chris McCanless as their guide.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”