I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
goombla

I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby goombla » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Has anyone ever noticed that everyone who actually had relations or came in contact with Chris actually liked him? I mean, theres absolutely no one who knew chris who talked bad about him (or atleast no one who came out about it in public).
Everyone who "hates" or calls chris out on many things never even knew the guy!
just seems funny in that way.
why do people find such a need to disect a persons dreams and life and try to make him seem like a fool?

Magic_Don

Re: I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Insecurities?

I can understand those who believe what society, and the media has told them is "real life" thinking some fool kid goes unprepared into Alaska, and dies. I understand that. But, it's also the same people who don't know anything more than that from him.

I never met him, like so many who know of his story. But, I get it. Maybe not for the same reasons he saw in life, but, the meaning is no less true.

I have no wish to be rich. If I was, it wouldn't last long because I would give a lot of it to charities, friends, family, people who need it more. Keeping only what I'd need to survive.

Which considering my wage where I work now, sure ain't a lot! Haha.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

waytoolongatsea

Postby waytoolongatsea » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 pm

The world is pretty much half n half. I think that attitude is just the attitude alaskans have on people who aren't from there. Especially ones that come up there with what they see is no respect for the land, themselves, or anyone else. Also, When you find a place remote and beautiful they like to keep it that way. Similar to hawaii they don't mind you coming for a few daze and spending your money, but you better leave before it's gone and you better not steal any waves. Imagine somebody going out to the northshore of oahu, pipeline season whose never surfed, and find some big old 70's board and go out there and think you're gonna make it because you boogie boarded once at myrtle beach. dreams are lies, it's the dreaming that's real.

chriswasanidiot

Postby chriswasanidiot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 am

I don't think people actually HATE this guy. I think he was an idiot and not very intelligent at all but i don't hate him. It's hard to hate someone you don't know personally. He was an idiot because he thought he could go live in the wilds of Alaska without ever having been here and without any type of survival training. He was an idiot because he walked to the river to get out, so how fast and wide it was and walked back to the bus and basically gave up. He could have walked about 10 miles south and crossed that river or he could have walked about 9 miles north to the mountain to cross the river. He was an idiot because he went into the mountains with no map and no training on land navigation. I could go on but I'll stop. I do think that what he did took some balls to do, but it doesn't change the fact that he was an idiot.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:03 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chriswasanidiot

Postby chriswasanidiot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I think you're the idiot and you've proven this point by your own words. You obviously haven't read the book.
Since you need to be educated -if that's possible- I'll enlighten you with some information that I have
time to offer you. His final trip to Alaska was not his first. He lived in a California ocean side cave for months and survived
just fine and he DID have a map with him in Alaska. He knew plenty of land navigation as he made his way to
several places in the US during more than one summer including ALASKA.
You don't know what the height of that river was 10 miles South or North of where he tried to cross. You were not there and you were most likely not even born yet.
I could go on, but I'll stop.
Keep in mind that his Family occasionally visits this website and it would be a great idea for you to have a LOT more respect before you get in over your head with your misinformation.
Read the book and then come back. Otherwise, take your name calling to a website that isn't respectfully dedicated to his memory and life story.[/quote]

I've read the book and i've seen the movie. So you said his "final trip to Alaska"? So he was there before he died there? I've never heard that before, thanks for the enlightenment. A California ocean side cave is quite a bit different than the Alaskan wilderness, you see, because it's a little further north, where it snows and such. I do know what the height and width of that river is to the north and to the south, I've been there, have you? Yes, I was born then, he was only a couple years older than me. Honestly I don't care if his family does occasionally visit this website. They should have known that people have a right to speak there mind before they tried making money off of their sons death. And sorry, as you can obviously tell I don't have any respect for chris. I'm not in over my head either, chris was, don't you see that? I'm sorry that you can't see that Stevie. Now I will enlighten you for a moment. Since you think I'm on here "name calling", here is the definition of idiot. From Latin idiōta ignorant person, from Greek idiōtēs private person, one who lacks professional knowledge. I think it fits, he was ignorant about Alaska, about what to expect and how to survive. He lacked professional knowledge on survival skills, which he plainly admits himself after he shot the moose. He said it was one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Let's discuss one of your other comments. "He knew plenty of land navigation as he made his way to several places in the US during more than one summer including ALASKA." Hmmm, that sure does take some great land navigation skills. Moving around on highways and roads to get from one place to another is called "Orienteering" not "land navigation". There is quite a bit difference between the two. After you have studied up on that come back and we can discuss it. I'll give you the basics, up is north and down is south. Didn't he get lost on his kayak? My original post was not that inflamatory but since you decided to respond with rediculous comments I felt compelled to educate you a little, or is education a 20th century fad?

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:27 pm

chriswasanidiot wrote:I do know what the height and width of that river is to the north and to the south, I've been there, have you?

so your saying you know the dimensions of a glacial fed river? incredible.
It seems your boast is really far-fetched. and yes I have been there before too but it doesn't make me a pro in potamology (study of rivers). When I was there the water went down 4-5 inches in less than 5 hours, so I highly doubt you hold any true knowledge on the dynamics on the Teklanika.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcym

Postby marcym » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 pm

chriswasanidiot wrote:I don't think people actually HATE this guy. I think he was an idiot and not very intelligent at all but i don't hate him. It's hard to hate someone you don't know personally. He was an idiot because he thought he could go live in the wilds of Alaska without ever having been here and without any type of survival training. He was an idiot because he walked to the river to get out, so how fast and wide it was and walked back to the bus and basically gave up. He could have walked about 10 miles south and crossed that river or he could have walked about 9 miles north to the mountain to cross the river. He was an idiot because he went into the mountains with no map and no training on land navigation. I could go on but I'll stop. I do think that what he did took some balls to do, but it doesn't change the fact that he was an idiot.

Hi,
there are a lot of different opinion about Chris but for me is really strange that you post your thought (was an idiot, for you...) in a forum dedicated to him from part of his family, friends and all the people that in the world considering him like a brother, a friend, a son... Originally the question was not if somebody hate Chris now, but if during his life he had some people against him...or this it what I have understood...
Anyway is just little bit too easy to judge him, he can't defend himself...the life is not prevedible...and nobody here know how the things have gone. Often I think that probably he hasn't walked on some paths...or better, maybe he has tried but something happened...and maybe he hasn't written on his diary...maybe not...I can't know it.
Obviously you can write your opinion but...and this is only my thought, if you hate Chris McCandless why lost your time here on a forum to him dedicated?

For me Chris was not an idiot but a honest guy with the head full of dreams.
Remember my words, please, nobody know when will be his last day in this world, and nobody know how his dead will be, so please have respect not only for Chris but for all the good people that now aren't with us in this world, please.
THANK YOU.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 pm

chriswasanidiot wrote: It's hard to hate someone you don't know personally.

True. As hard as calling someone an idiot without ever having communicated with him in whatever way.

SteveSalmon wrote: It's clear which way you're using the word "idiot".

Of course. I think this is clear to everybody here. ;)

Sure Chris made a few fatally wrong choices in the last months of his life. But making some good and some bad choices in life is human, we all know that. And Chris had made a lot of very good choices before.
The fact that some kind of “misestimation” cost him his life doesn’t qualify him as an idiot (in the way the term is currently used).

Just like marcym, I really wonder why you feel the need to share your negative thoughts about Chris McCandless with users of a forum like this - or even with anybody else. Ok, you read the book, saw the movie and didn't like the guy. Happens. He's been dead for almost 20 years, so the whole thing is history. If you don't feel somhow inspired by the story (like most of the users on this board), how does this affect your life at all?

Return to “Discussions on Chris”