I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
GoNorth

Re: I F***ing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby GoNorth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 am

jakesnake66 wrote:Chris may as well have died scaling a mountain without climbing shoes, freezing to death without a coat, driving 150 on a curvy road, getting smashed by an 18-wheeler crossing the highway without looking, falling out of a boat without a life vest, or getting fatally bitten while casually handling rattlesnakes. If Chris had died in any of those other ways would people be lauding his "courage" or condemning his foolishness?

The thing is that the way he actually died and how he was found seemed unusual enough to arouse the attention of the media, which eventually led to the book etc. A more ordinary kind of death would probably not have led to a book and a movie. So only few people would have known Chris's story.
Now what seems to inspire most of us is not necessarily the way he died and the numerous mistakes he made when walking "into the wild", but rather the rest of his story, his philosophy in life, his attitude and, yes, his courage to follow his own path - a path that started right after his college graduation and thus much earlier than his fatal walk into the Alaskan bush.

I agree with you that there is no justification I could think of for how he left Carine behind, and I agree that the way he prepared (or not prepared) for his journey in the Alaskan "wilderness" was careless and thus foolish, but that's only part of the story.

TadiAsh

Postby TadiAsh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am

There really is no reason to have a definite opinion on Chris. You can never truly understand his thinking or how he felt, because we are not Chris McCandless. Although we can read about him and form an opinion, saying that you “f**king hate Chris McCandless” is unjust because you have never met him and as much as you can think, read and research there just is no point. What if you think he is an idiot and then you were to meet him and realize he is a good, intelligent person that you like? What if you like him and then you were to meet him and think he is an idiot?

vdavell

Postby vdavell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:14 pm

I think that the title of the post is stupid. You obviously havent read the book.

Cassij

Postby Cassij » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Hate is a strong word,I think that's why Chris did what he did because of all the hate and screwed up views society makes. Chris wanted an adventure away from society because of the horrible views and the un necessary government rules. Chris did not care he had no hunting license in Alaska I mean why would he? when it's none of the governments business what he does and hunting is a way to live! He did not want anyone telling him how live because that would be no way of living at all!! He set out to have a journey, of no one controlling what he does so he could be free and experience life and live life to his fullest not to society's fullest but his no one else's. He was a well hearted man who wanted an experience outside of political views, why he did what he did everyone who knew him had nothing but great things to say.

Bcarver23

Postby Bcarver23 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

I think a lot of people judged Chris by his unusual actions. Chris had his own goals and way he wanted to live. People should not hate him because of his lifestyle choice.

Im1snell

Postby Im1snell » Tue May 19, 2015 5:54 pm

People are scared of things that is over their heads, what Chris did, many people call "crazy". They call it crazy because they never felt how we feel. Being different makes him a target.

thoraxiom

Postby thoraxiom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:34 pm

I don't hate Chris Mccandless. I first read the account of him in 1993 in Outdoor magazine, then got hold of 'Into the Wild' a couple years later. He made some seemingly small but grievous errors. Chief amongst them not being familiar with northern boreal forest environments. He should have tested himself first in a mountainous forest environment here in the Pacific Northwest. He would have hopefully noticed glacier fed rivers run at their highest levels in summer during snow pack melt-off. Perhaps practicing foraging and wild crafting some where like the Wynoochie Valley in the Olympic mountains. He should have had a fishing pole and tackle with him. Also some netting to construct a trap to catch crawdads - the innards from his small game kills would have been great bait - an added bonus - setting a trap for crawdads burns hardly any calories. A topographical map of the area is also a must. Plus, going out there without a pair of chest waders shows the level of his naiveté.
Even here in Washington state, I'm constantly amazed at the number of city dwellers that come out here to the forests to ride mountain bikes on maintained trails and still manage to get lost and need search and rescue aide. How one gets lost on a maintained forest trail, I'll never understand. They usually are the ones who's cars sport 'coexist' and pro-same - sex type bumper stickers.

Elenochkafogueddy

I Fing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby Elenochkafogueddy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:10 am

Do we get to see the ones below the Vistani Camp map? :-
Дивергент глава 3 За стеной (2016) http://vk.cc/4T0qGq

Imled

I Fing HATE CHRIS MCCANDLESS

Postby Imled » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 am

so its not really a hate-on against Fighters and unarmed Monks, but this server has turned out to be VERY heavily leaned against those two classes, and it seems to be entirely unintentional. How does this happen?

Joeshmoe

Postby Joeshmoe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm

The harsh reality is in life people have negative opinions on topics and that doesn’t make them any less valid. Live or hate the guy. He made his choices with his life and it does effect you. My only question is if happiness is only real when shared why did he go into the middle
Of the wilderness alone?

Return to “Discussions on Chris”