have you met anyone like Chris??

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
JesusIsLove777

have you met anyone like Chris??

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Chris was such a rare human, well at least from my view.

especially today it seems that people like Chris are getting more and more scarce. everyone wants to follow the latest trends, what the media is feeding them, pleasing your friends, schoolteachers and all that; and it creates a mindset that morality is absent and money, materialism, greed, drug-use, and lust prevail over true compassion, purpose, freedom and more importantly, individuality.

Chris was a true individual, and it seems that is what is so hard to find these days. i remember very well how i was before i actually started thinking for myself; just another one of the lost sheep. 90% of my life was spent that way and since seeing into the wild and reading about Chris a few years ago, i have become the person who i am meant to be, and am not conforming to any person, trend or anything.

do you know anyone who is similar to Chris' values, direction and such?

thanks! :)

Magic_Don

Re: have you met anyone like Chris??

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

I know me!

Well, I'm about as close as you get in my life to him. I just lack that one moment where I decide, let's go.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

wild24

Postby wild24 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:13 pm

I am the closest I can think of. I too grew up in a priveleged abusive home and currently hate material people and things. Although I do grow out of it more and more as I age.

However, I remember when I was his age when he set out on his 2 year adventure and I was luckily in therapy. I was headstrong on believing that I did not need people and would have rather lived under a bridge then with my parents any longer. If I was a guy who knows how I would of tested myself-but I always remembered how my therapist set me straight and told me that people do need people.

It took me a few years to really understand it. Growing up without love and an angry abusive parent is very hard. I can understand to an extent why he did it but wish he would have gotten help first.

Jd18

Postby Jd18 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

I consider myself to be like chris in a way. also i have met people like him. 2 years ago i took a long backpacking trip in the rocky mountians. I went with a group of 10 kids all under the age of 18. We learned how to survive in the wilderness, and stay warm and get food. Given we didnt have to kill anything but we did find berries and plants etc. Each and every person on this trip was in one way or another, like chris. The sense of adventure was in each individual. we all also loved being outdoors and being in nature. It was so much fun and i would go back in a heart beat. We all lost a lot of weight as well, due to lack of food and intense amounts of hiking. Chris was a true outdoors lover, and i know many people with the same passion for nature. Also myself and many others have the free spirit attitude that chris had.

Jono Terzza

Postby Jono Terzza » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I completely agree with the original post, absolutely nobody even remotely like chris where i'm from. i know people who like the film, some more than others, but none who are willing to really think about the real chris mccandless and all that he had to say. Everything that happened in his journey presented a message that i dont think anyone will be able to tell in such a way. Something about his nature captivates us, i can't really pin down what it is, but it's intruiging! I wish that people weren't as they were in the ways you described such as the media and such. But human relationships are important and they provide much need compassion and emotiong. a "quest for authenticity" as chris said doesnt meen that human relationships should be discredited. It's too easy to believe you are different and more unique than others, you can say that without knowing every single person, which is impossible.

MeMyfriendWild

Postby MeMyfriendWild » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 am

Guys, don't hassitate, if you wan't to do what crhis did or if you want to follow your dream: DO IT!
I know i will , i'm now only 15 but i love nature and the world and even i see that what we are doing now to the world is bad.
Industralisation is wrong thats the moment it all went wrong. I'm going to live in the wild and by travels allong with my friend.
We are going to do it, just a few more years of school.
You know guys, the funny thing is, no one believes me if i tell them how i will live my life.
I'm gonna proof them wrong.
Every one who already is grown up, sell your house stop useing electricity , go travel , go see the world , nature, be crazy! you only live one time and its not to long soo....
Yes i'm 15 and i know all these things a 1000000% sure.
why i know them, dont know , im gonna find out more about live.
Mark my Words.

Marc Wolswijk , Netherlands, Almere

P.S.

Sorry if my english is not to well, I'm from the Netherlands :D

tanja

Postby tanja » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm

no, but i really would love that... i´ve always been Chris in a woman body. I can´t stand this material and superficial world i´m living anymore, but i´m afraid to do what Chris did... ALONE... i just want to write my conditional love to Chris... i really wish more people would be like him! i love him forever!! sorry for my bad english... :(

MaryEE

Postby MaryEE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

I have never met anyone who is like Chris. I've met people who are determined and courageous the way he is, but no one kinks would ever actually do the things he did. Some people I know have a personality similar to him though

Im1snell

Postby Im1snell » Tue May 19, 2015 5:52 pm

I met someone that looked a lot like chris and had is adventure attitude, but we lost touch for personal reasons. His name was Chris as well. There isn't a day in my life that I dont think about him, we were planning our trips.. and that'll never happen.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”