Dear Wayne, Gail & Son...

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
SteveSalmon

Dear Wayne, Gail & Son...

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronlamothe

Re: Dear Wayne, Gail & Son...

Postby ronlamothe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I thought, on the one hand, by stating briefly that I had no intention to discuss it I could possibly preempt the inevitable questions I always get about it…while at the same time still hinting that there is more to the Carthage part of this story than meets the eye, and in a way that lets the people know who have written to me about it over the years that they are on the right track, but not entirely. I now realize this was probably a mistake on my part, and I wish I had not even mentioned it.

As I said in the documentary, and as with so many things in life, “the more details you know, the more the truth of any matter becomes muddled.” Be that as it may, let me say this: First of all, no one is being "accused" of anything here, or needs to "defend" himself. Moreover, nothing I know changes the essential fact that Wayne Westerberg was a good friend to Chris. I am simply reporting that I was told by Gail’s son something that Chris once said to him, supposedly a verbatim quote, and a few contextual details surrounding it…and that what Chris said adds another layer of complexity to the story. However, I personally feel that the quote itself is too inflammatory, and I don’t want to be the one to light it off.

I will say, though, for those speculating about my suggestions that “it is what you think…it is not what you think,” that I have never come across any evidence that Chris was gay. In fact, like Jon Krakauer, I never came across any evidence that Chris was either gay or straight, or at all sexually active. I do not pretend to know the first thing about what Chris’s sexual preferences were, but I do think that Krakauer was perhaps correct in suggesting that "it seems that McCandless was drawn to women but remained largely or entirely celibate,” and that, like Muir and Thoreau, such temptations “paled beside the prospect of rough congress with nature.”

p.s. Don’t forget that some of these “life story rights” are still presumably owned by Paramount, so who knows if these individuals can even discuss their own pasts even if they wanted to (which in a comical way sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sells Peterman all of his stories, and then, much to his dismay, can no longer tell them).

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I wanted to talk to you about Ron Lamonthes statement about Chris' and Waynes relationship. I don't know any other way to contact you.

I saw you were looking for more explanation from Ron and I am with you; and am curious to see what you think of his statements. I think it's ridiculous that he made those statements with no explanation.

Contact me @ taylorduke23(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:15 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey Steve,

It is not letting me PM you so here will be fine.

I was just wondering what your theory was on what Ron Lamothe said about "there being more to the relationship between Wayne and Chris. It is killing me trying to figure this out. Any ideas? He mentioned that it's not dealing with Chris' sexual preference.

Thanks,

Taylor

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 am

SteveSalmon wrote: You can't make such claims and not expect anyone to ask for an explanation.

Of course not. Fully agree with you.

rabie

Postby rabie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:39 am

PERHAPS WE KNOW TOO MUCH OF HIS ADVENTURES…WE MUST LEAVE SOMETHING ONLY INTO THE MEMORY OF WHO HAS LIVED, INTO THEIR HEARTS.

marcym

Postby marcym » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 pm

I don't know if Chris was gay or if he had more than a friendship with Wayne W. but...really this will change something? No to me...also he had relationships with women thus more than gay he could have been bisexual but doesn't matter! I mean, I don't care about his sexual orientation but about the great person he was.

Also do you remember this quote:

"Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past."

I guess this is the way he felt, probably because when a person suffers too much and is very sensitive it takes a while before being able to trust again others and so feel comfortable in starting a new relationship.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:03 am

marcym wrote:Also do you remember this quote:

"Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past."

Is that something CM really said? I only know this as a quote from the movie, but never heard or read anywhere that it was something Chris really said (or wrote). ??

Return to “Discussions on Chris”