The lack of romance in Chris's story...

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
ladyandtramp

The lack of romance in Chris's story...

Postby ladyandtramp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

The book "Into the wild" talks about Chris's view on romance and sex... and how forming a connection with the wilderness is ultimately more important and fulfilling to him. He turns down Tracy's advances. There is no other mention of romance in his story (except for maybe in college?).

However, the book briefly mentions how he is flirting with Jan. There is a scene in the movie (although may have nothing to do with reality?) where he appears to be coming on to her.

What do you guys think? Was he seriously coming on to Jan?

Or was he content living without romance and sex?

marcym

Re: The lack of romance in Chris's story...

Postby marcym » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 pm

PERHAPS WE KNOW TOO MUCH OF HIS ADVENTURES…WE MUST LEAVE SOMETHING ONLY INTO THE MEMORY OF WHO HAS LIVED, INTO THEIR HEARTS.
WHO ARE WE FOR DIGGING SO DEEP? IF YOU WILL KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS ARGUMENT? WHAT WILL CHANGE? PERHAPS YOU SHOULD THINK MORE ABOUT YOUR SEXUAL LIFE...
I APOLOGIZE PER MY TERRIBLE ENGLISH AND.. FOR SAY TOO DIRECTLY TO YOU AS I THINK BUT IN HONESTY I THINK THAT IF CHRIS COULD ANSWERED AT YOU, HE PROBABLY WOULD TOLD LIKE ME.

I PERSONALLY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE SEX LIFE OF CHRIS ...

SAVE THE TROUBLE OF ANSWERING ME, I WILL NOT SAY A WORD MORE ABOUT IT

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm

To be honest, I don't think Lady was trying to pry into sultry details. Just about every human strives for love, relationship. Possibly kids, marriage. So, it's not that far fetched. Just chill a bit, and please turn off the caps lock, it makes things hard to read.

Personally, I think due to his upbringing, there was just a disconnection there. I totally understand it. I have grown up in a loveless family. While I am very loving, caring, and a hopeless romantic, dealing with other people, and their stupid games can become frustrating. So it's quite possible there was someone once who hurt him, or frustrated him enough. Perhaps there were some after his leaving, but no one knows (although I'd assume by now someone would have said something)
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 am

I relate to Chris in so many ways, so I couldn't help but wonder about this part, 'cause it's such an important one... The way I see it, there may be people out there who have reached a high level of spirituality, who are truly content to be without sex and romance in their lifes. I'm talking about spiritual leaders, perhaps nuns, munks and preasts... (some of them). While Chris lived a truly inspiring life, I don't perceive him as some kind of a "spiritual leader" but basically just very human, he had his character defects like we all do...

Magic_Don wrote:Just about every human strives for love, relationship. Possibly kids, marriage.

I agree, and that's what made me wonder whether it was possible for him to be truly content. Whether traveling and being in the wildnerness could truly fill that "gap"? Chris seemed happy though!

I guess if you have a passion in life, be it going into the wild to live on your own, painting, or moving to Italy to own a vineyard - it can be very fulfilling. But to the extent that you would be happy to remain single for the remainder of your days? I don't know. Perhaps in the end Chris was starting to long for something different. He wrote in a book "happiness only real when shared".

For myself, I have been on my own quite a lot in my life. I have always prefered being alone to being with the wrong person. However, growing up in a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic father meant I wasn't well equipped when it comes to forming healthy relationships... Every time I tried to pursue a romantic relationship, I quickly got burned!

I'm now a single mum, which makes it even harder to meet someone. I would really love to have a passion in my life and for it to fulfill me to the point where I don't feel lonely!

jgrove

Postby jgrove » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 am

I would agree that maybe the film does give some indication of that, but i don't feel that there was any romantic intentions other than a slight motherly concern for a young man who seemed to have drifted apart from all of his family.

marcym

Postby marcym » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 am

Magic_Don wrote:To be honest, I don't think Lady was trying to pry into sultry details. Just about every human strives for love, relationship. Possibly kids, marriage. So, it's not that far fetched. Just chill a bit, and please turn off the caps lock, it makes things hard to read.

Personally, I think due to his upbringing, there was just a disconnection there. I totally understand it. I have grown up in a loveless family. While I am very loving, caring, and a hopeless romantic, dealing with other people, and their stupid games can become frustrating. So it's quite possible there was someone once who hurt him, or frustrated him enough. Perhaps there were some after his leaving, but no one knows (although I'd assume by now someone would have said something)

Honestly…where in the original post you read the words as :love story, children and marriage? I read that the key words are: sex, flirting with Jane ... so please...come down to the upstairs at the level of the other ok? Please, reflect on what I have written, perhaps you are not in agreement with me, but it' s not entirely wrong only because we are a different opinion, and is different than what you believe.
However, i don't think that I am being frustrated because I am not in agreement with you, everyone has his own views. Obviously i have nothing against Lady…I don't know her so I never give reviews about her. Only the curiosity has bothered me, for you is wise and important know every things... for me not, for me is instead on this topic is a bit intrusive, i repeat different opinions.
Anyway I don't care about making controversy with you or others.We should not use the forum for this, in my opinion, I do not write here for this but to share with people, often on the other side of the world, the feeling for Chris and his story.
You are absolutely free to have the curiosity that you feel is appropriate, simply I was calling to consider that a small part of Chris's private life should remain secret. For me it is not important to know if he and Jan have a flirt, you wrote that it is important to know if he had a son. Really? I don't think he had a son, but I don't know, but I think if he had a son or not, and everything else is a private argument of Chris and his family.
Think a moment …if there is a child, now an adult man or woman, why do you think that the family if even knows it should tell you? I repeat: I don't think there's a son but if it were I sincerely believe that they are arguments absolutely private.
In the end, in my previous post I wrote that Chris might have been in agreement with me, you have absolutely reason to write that I can't know, but I considered what his family and friends have always said of him: he was a very private man. Then I tried to put myself in his shoes and honestly don't like me to tell all of my private life to perfect strangers, I know it's been done for a higher purpose: helping others, but to repeat, I am convinced that we must leave at least something only to him.In the name of God we are talking about his life not about our life, then again you are free to not be in agreement with me, but I honestly I don't believe to say the wrong things.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I still think you're completely over reacting to a query, but it is yours to over react to. Everyone is here because his story touched us in some way, to be curious is not a sin.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 am

ladyandtramp wrote:Or was he content living without romance and sex?

I suspect that Chris being a very unique, and highly idealistic young person found it very difficult to find like-minded people in his young adult life, making romance a thing not easily accessed.

On the other hand he also seemed to have this strong drive to do things on his own so that perhaps he found relationships would have compromised what he wanted to do with his life (the travels he wanted to take, the places he wanted to see). When you are alone you only have to answer to one person - yourself.

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:42 am

jgrove wrote:I would agree that maybe the film does give some indication of that, but i don't feel that there was any romantic intentions other than a slight motherly concern for a young man who seemed to have drifted apart from all of his family.

I don't actually believe there could have been a relationship between the two. Like jgrove said, from Jan's part it was probably more of a motherly concern that she felt for him. I was just wondering whether Chris might have been interested in her in a romantic way? Come to think of it, maybe for him it was a safe choice? Knowing that his feelings could not be reciprocated meant in the end he would not have to act on them, and so he could keep his distance. I think that's something a lot of us do sometimes when we are not ready for a relationship, but there is a small part of us that is still longing for it.

marcym wrote:you wrote that it is important to know if he had a son. Really? I don't think he had a son, but I don't know, but I think if he had a son or not, and everything else is a private argument of Chris and his family.
Think a moment …if there is a child, now an adult man or woman, why do you think that the family if even knows it should tell you? I repeat: I don't think there's a son but if it were I sincerely believe that they are arguments absolutely private.

This must be a misunderstanding? I don't think there was any mention of a possible son?

solovoyager wrote:I suspect that Chris being a very unique, and highly idealistic young person found it very difficult to find like-minded people in his young adult life, making romance a thing not easily accessed.

Yes, that makes sense.

solovoyager wrote:On the other hand he also seemed to have this strong drive to do things on his own so that perhaps he found relationships would have compromised what he wanted to do with his life (the travels he wanted to take, the places he wanted to see). When you are alone you only have to answer to one person - yourself.

In other words, he had a really strong passion! I find that so inspiring.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”