are you all serious?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
vergeetmenietje

Re: are you all serious?

Postby vergeetmenietje » Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 pm

GoNorth wrote:Very well put, vergeetmenietje!

I'm glad to see that that post didn't sound too weird.
I was afraid that I was getting carried away a bit. :roll:

sflanagan21

Postby sflanagan21 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:23 am

Grendle is not gonna return and read others comments because he is self-centered just as those that Chris was escaping from were. Imagine if Chris was still alive today, what would he think of our society 19+ years later. Chris was ahead of his time and if you can't learn something valuable from his story then that's your stupid blindness.

dizzmatic

Postby dizzmatic » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 am

I agree with the threadstarter. The quote mentioned is dead on accurate, I hate to say. I just finished the book, and for the life of me cannot understand why people glorify this man so much. Even in his diary entries, he writes in the third person, as if he is thinking in the back of his mind his life will make for some epic tale one day, and he was right. That, unfortunately, is the only thing he was right about.

And to the poster that said Chris had "braindead" parents: Not many braindead people are born into nothing, and become wealthy later in life all on account of their own hard work.

It was painful to read in the book how many times Chris was offered wise advice and provisions that he stubbornly refused, for no good reason at all. "Look at a map. Listen to people smarter than you." Dead on.

I have no sympathy for him, only his parents. He seemed like a very arrogant person to me.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 am

Maybe I'm confused, but, I don't recall ever hearing of Chris talking about himself in the third person. I mean, with his personal journal being so readily available.

Oh wait...
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 pm

dizzmatic wrote:I have no sympathy for him, only his parents.

Perhaps you should read this to get a more realistic picture of it all:
http://www.christophermccandless.info/carinemccandless.html

pezar

Postby pezar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Do we need a "Chris Scares The Living Bejezzus Out Of Me Because He Pointed Out The Pointlessness Of My Boring Suburban Lifestyle Which I Don't Have The Guts To Change And Be Myself Thread"? :roll: :twisted: I mean, people say "well he went to Alaska unprepared and therefore was an idiot" while missing the REST of the two year journey. :roll:

dizzmatic

Postby dizzmatic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Sorry but so what? I read through the whole thing, and like she says, other children have had much more painful upbringings than Chris. I for one can attest to this.

And to the poster above me, Chris doesn't do anything to close to point at my boring suburban existence. People keep saying he was "ahead of his time." That couldn't be further from the truth. I agree with the sentiment that the only reason why Chris is famous is because he failed so publicly. I do think it's sad that you people glorify him the way you do. I see nothing revolutionary about him at all.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 am

pezar wrote:Do we need a "Chris Scares The Living Bejezzus Out Of Me Because He Pointed Out The Pointlessness Of My Boring Suburban Lifestyle Which I Don't Have The Guts To Change And Be Myself Thread"? :roll: :twisted: I mean, people say "well he went to Alaska unprepared and therefore was an idiot" while missing the REST of the two year journey. :roll:

I don't think you can use that many characters. lol
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

goombla

Postby goombla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 am

Magic_Don wrote:

I don't think you can use that many characters. lol

Hahahahahaha nice.

Mickrise

Postby Mickrise » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello

Sherry Simpson was older, and perhaps thought wiser, when she wrote her article. Of course, access to a keyboard doesn't make you wise. Perhaps she thinks that she will be remembered for her insights. This isnt true. Young Chris will be remembered. He will inspire. Sherry won't.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”