Have You ever Met People Like Chris Or Yourself??

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
JesusIsLove777

Have You ever Met People Like Chris Or Yourself??

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:31 pm

in a society where we are taught to worship money, "idols" like britney spears or rihanna, pursue a ultimately meaningless career, it gets hard to find people who have goals other than just what i mentioned.

so many people go after making money and getting a "meaningful" job that makes a lotta money, or finding a fun job and centering your entire existence on a MERE JOB, or chasing after women, possessions to keep your life "going"... but people on this board, who have found from watching/reading Into The Wild, money is meaningless, and true meaning comes from people and passion, and in Chris' case his passion was traveling/living in the outdoors.

Im in my early 20's and for me it is very hard to find people who are against societies machine-like brainwashing of people.. everybody is the same these days it seems like... have you met anybody who is truly Against the modern system of consumption, selfishness and money/career worship??
Last edited by JesusIsLove777 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pezar

Re: Have You ever Met People Like Chris Or Yourself??

Postby pezar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I live about 100 miles inland from Silicon Valley, and where I live used to be a big high tech hub. When the financial meltdown hit, all the tech companies fired shitloads of people and either shut down their Sacramento offices entirely or scaled them back a LOT. People who had had jobs since the dot.com boom suddenly had no work. They were so lost without a job, it was really sad to see people who had devoted their entire adult lives to their work, and it was like well you're fired, and guess what you're 40 now and your skills are obsolete, so when we hire again we'll hire some guy fresh out of Stanford.

Suddenly there were tons of little one guy computer repair shops popping up, run by people who weren't really trained to be computer technicians or who were trained in the dark ages. I mean, these guys had a MS in computer science, many of them, and they were removing viruses to pay their student loans. It's as if there suddenly was no demand for neurosurgeons, so all the neurosurgeons tried to be primary care doctors. That's kind of what the high tech field faced here after the crash. And the only storefront space they could afford was in the slums, so people would leave their PCs and overnight somebody would break in and steal them.

If you check the comments section of the San Jose Mercury News, you'll see that people list their employers in the little space for location. In Silicon Valley, people work 100 hours a week, that's all they do is work, eat, and sleep. If there was a really big economic crash, like the Great Depression, so many people wouldn't know what to do with themselves, they literally are their jobs. Seeing so many people just lost after they were "downsized", not just geeks but real estate workers and financial workers, they had it all one minute and then they had nothing. And most of them couldn't handle it. It was really awful. The phenomenon of people dropping dead months after retiring is well known. They are so used to being a wage slave that when they're set free they can't handle it. So no, everybody here is wither a wage slave or is involved with drugs somehow.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:53 pm

GREAT POST! however, i do disagree on humans either being a wage slave or druggy... im neither! haha i love freedom, nature, and people, but i hate drugs and careers/money consumption...

anyways very great post... has Anybody Else ever met anybody similar to Chris?? as stated earlier, i truly struggle with meeting people in opposition of Modern Societies System of routine and apathy in their "careers"....

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I am a few years older than Chris would now be.

Throughout my life, I have met thousands of people who shared the same values that Chris had. Some I knew when I was younger. Many I have encountered only recently. The don't fit into one age group. Some were just teenagers when I met them; others were well into their sixties and seventies. They have all had the same passion for living and finding meaning in their lives. They have traveled far and off the beaten path, in one way or another.

I have learned something from all of them. And, I hope, that some have learned something from me.

There are more people in this world like Chris than you can imagine.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”