Today 19 Years ago...

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
LoneWolf

Re: Today 19 Years ago...

Postby LoneWolf » Tue May 03, 2011 6:20 am

JesusIsLove777 wrote:are you kidding me bro? dude, lonewolf, if he didnt die the way he DID, then so many of us would have led meaningless lives in an office, filled with routine and passionless apathy! Into The Wild has been a Savior of a movie for so many people, bringing them to their roots and why they are here... Chris showed us to follow our dreams and to live boldly, not delving into materialism or selfishness, but rather adventure and love

Im dead serious my friend. I understand many have been inspired by the movie Into The Wild, and I am not saying that this is in anyway bad, probably the opposite. what I am saying is: Chris wouldn't have wanted it this way, at least I cannot imagine it like this...

And, I am not against the movie, I just find it questionable. You want to get the facts, ain't that right? Well in that case, you should watch the docu as well, which contains much more truth, rather than the movie which is been seen and beloved by many, but not because of the Truth. There are allot of issues in the movie that do not match the reality, for instance; That Chris had dumped his ID cards and burned all of his money. The reality teaches us that this wasn't the case, because his wallet was found months later in his backpack(even though the police failed to discover this), with much more ID cards and such than necessary, plus 300 dollars in cash. Breath Truth.

LoneWolf.
Nothing is harder to bear than a succession of fair days.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu May 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Today - not 19 but 21 years ago, Chris was at the graduation party of Emory with his family. As far as I understood, that was the last time they saw him.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 pm

JesusIsLove777 wrote:that is so amazing! who knew Chris would have such an impact on literally millions of people, so amazing! it makes you wonder if any of us on here will do something narley like chris, die, and then have a sweet movie made about us! that would be so Suweeeeet! :)

This post is absurd on so many levels.

pezar

Postby pezar » Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 am

Anewanddifferentsun wrote:
JesusIsLove777 wrote:that is so amazing! who knew Chris would have such an impact on literally millions of people, so amazing! it makes you wonder if any of us on here will do something narley like chris, die, and then have a sweet movie made about us! that would be so Suweeeeet! :)

This post is absurd on so many levels.

Any mass movement has its weirdos. The poster in question keeps spamming the board with requests for friends to go "vagabonding" with. He keeps getting no replies. He never seems to be able to question WHY he gets no replies. At least naturelover24 eventually got off his butt and went. So did Ascetic. (By the way, anybody knows what happened to him? He went for a "hike" in the middle of winter, not smart, and never posted again. I'm worried he's still under the snow in Wyoming somewhere.) This board is so small that the loonies really stand out.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Fri May 13, 2011 12:38 am

When the nutjobs started showing up, I decided to hit the road, as in avoiding this forum. I talk with Carine several times a week, and she agreed that it was best to just stay away, but I couldn't resist replying to this nonsense.

pezar

Postby pezar » Fri May 13, 2011 1:43 am

Anewanddifferentsun wrote:When the nutjobs started showing up, I decided to hit the road, as in avoiding this forum. I talk with Carine several times a week, and she agreed that it was best to just stay away, but I couldn't resist replying to this nonsense.

I don't visit here much myself anymore. I come when I want to post something about tramping, since that's not a topic accepted on any other board I'm on. Usually it's a warning of somebody who met harm on the road. Bobenns has been posting about people who get lost in the backcountry. Most of the most recent posts on here are from that JesusIsLove guy. On April 30 he posted a message to EVERY SINGLE FORUM looking for "friends". I get the idea that between working on the Back to the Wild book and other stuff that the admin guy doesn't visit this forum often. We need a couple mods. I'm not close to the McCandlesses, and besides I don't think I could do it.

There's been a couple posters who have inexplicably "vanished" after expressing a wish to embark on poorly thought out tramping trips. Ascetic is one. "mcv081" was a 15 year old kid in Minnesota who was talking about running away, then he disappeared. Naturelover24 apparently hasn't been on recently. I really think you need to get Carine, if she's willing, to write an article about what happens to people who go off unprepped into the wilderness, and what happens to the families they leave behind once they "disappear". I think Carine really needs to write about her reaction and grief when she heard Chris was dead. We need to find a way to dissuade these people who think that it's fun to go off and die in the wilderness, that it makes you some sort of hero.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Fri May 20, 2011 3:37 am

I definitely agree. This board is in need of some moderation. It's one thing to post your view of things, regardless of how nonsensical they may be, it's entirely another to flood the heck out of the forum. BTW, you may have already seen it, but Carine did write a piece about the bus that's being featured on my site. You make an excellent point about the people left behind. She puts it very well in her piece where she says:

I'll admit my adventurous side felt like it was being cheated as I viewed the landscape from above in a safe and warm helicopter. I would rather have immersed myself in the challenge than float above it, but only if it had made sense. I knew the most important goal of that trip was for me to get back home to my children, and Chris's voice in my head was my strongest reminder.

While there is much to be admired about the free spirited manner of Chris's journey, it should not be ignored that he died during it.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu May 26, 2011 6:36 pm

I agree with that, as well.

However, back to topic: :D

Today 19 years ago Chris McCandless returned to the bus (after 3 weeks, walking further west and finally deciding to return) and obviously decided to settle down there for the rest of his stay in the wild.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:32 am

well i think you guys mislead me, im a perfectly normal d00d.. but i wasnt stating that Chris' DEATH was amazing... thats a horrible think that shouldnt've happened.. but at the same time if chris hadn't died in alaska then we wouldnt have a newspaper article on a boy who left his rich life to live alone in the wilderness, then no book by john krakauer, and then no movie.. which leads to no LIVES being changed.. see what im getting at??

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon May 30, 2011 1:31 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”