Today 19 Years ago...

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
erikhalfacre

Today 19 Years ago...

Postby erikhalfacre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 am

Today 19 years ago Chris got out of Galien's Ford pickup and set off down the Stampede Trail into the mushy wet snow of early Alaskan spring. Here's to just getting out there and doing it, whatever 'it' might be for us each individually. Here's to doing more than setting goals, but to living them. Here's to continually feeding the need for experiencing 'new' and to exploring the planet, and to fulfilling the potential of this life.

Also when we think about our lives and how sometimes we can find ourselves in the rut of routine, dissatisfied with the monotony of our existence and we want to shake things up a bit: think to of the family and friends and others you care about. Reach out to them and invite them to join you. Sharing an adventure can be one of the greatest things you do for a person's self esteem. Help pull someone else up and show them the potential of exploring.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

GoNorth

Re: Today 19 Years ago...

Postby GoNorth » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 am

Good idea to open this thread! :D

But wasn't it on April 28? ;)

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 am

You know I may have jumped the gun... in fact I'm pretty sure you're right. I think I'm remembering April 27th for another reason. But still.... (sorry guys.)

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am

No need to be sorry. On April 27th he sent out the last messages to Wayne and Jan, so it's a memorable date as well. :D

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:21 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

May 1st is Day 4: Magic Bus Day :D

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am

that is so amazing! who knew Chris would have such an impact on literally millions of people, so amazing! it makes you wonder if any of us on here will do something narley like chris, die, and then have a sweet movie made about us! that would be so Suweeeeet! :)

LoneWolf

Postby LoneWolf » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 am

JesusIsLove777 wrote:....., die, and then have a sweet movie made about us! that would be so Suweeeeet! :)

You really belief Chris would have wanted it this way? I think he would despise the movie, and the fact that they make money through his adventures and thoughts.
Also, the movie is so far stretched... You should watch the docu: 'Out of the Wild', NOT from Sean Penn, which contains the true facts instead of the appealing illusion.

LoneWolf
Nothing is harder to bear than a succession of fair days.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:01 am

are you kidding me bro? dude, lonewolf, if he didnt die the way he DID, then so many of us would have led meaningless lives in an office, filled with routine and passionless apathy! Into The Wild has been a Savior of a movie for so many people, bringing them to their roots and why they are here... Chris showed us to follow our dreams and to live boldly, not delving into materialism or selfishness, but rather adventure and love

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 am

I think the issue some of us are having is when you said:

...if any of us on here will do something narley like chris, die, and then have a sweet movie made about us! that would be so Suweeeeet!

Dieing by starvation is no joke. It's one of the more miserable ways you can go. Leaving behind a family without closure is no small thing either. The wilderness deserves, no, DEMANDS respect. It has no sense of right or wrong and it does not care what kind of a person you are. If you tangle with it unprepared it will kill you in an instant. It's not 'cool' to die. I don't presume to speak for Chris, but I really have a hard time imagining that he wouldn't have rather made it out alive.

I think you need to think a little harder about that for a minute. I'm not saying that as someone who's trying to rain on your parade either. I personally made sure people would have as much information as possible when I took the time to build my site about hiking the Stampede Trail to share with anybody else who wants to go out there. I'm all about taking risk, but I'm also about harboring a healthy respect for the wilderness as well. Nobody wins when you don't make it home.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”