Did Chris hate people?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
GoNorth

Re: Did Chris hate people?

Postby GoNorth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

ryan0429 wrote:I think he just wanted to get away from things...His idea was simple and pure, I guess. I also like the feeling of getting away, form the place I live and people I know throuth I dont hate them at all.

I fully agree, as I also know this kind of feeling or need.
However for Chris it certainly had something to do with his family, even if "hatred" might be the wrong word.
The fact that he was so much in search of truth seems to be a logical consequence to the lies in his family. This IS a thing that can and very probably does affect your whole life and each person has the right to decide how to deal with that.

ryan0429 wrote:I just want to release myself as Christ did.

But not release yourself from life so soon, I hope? :wink:

Jaynix

Postby Jaynix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:25 am

I haven't done much research but read the book, watch the movie and read various articles on the internet. However, I'm pretty sure Chris didn't hate people, he just hated the superficial life and all it stands for. Chris has experienced this first hand through his parents and saw all the cover-up when you wish to signal you have a perfect materialized life. Perhaps this image was to imprinted in his mind and hence it sort of hurt thinking about them due to the connection with this type of life.
Through the portrait of Chris he seems like a great guy and a carisma going through the roof. I have to say though in his own way he was selfish, not accepting help from others (transportation excluded) and the way he sort of cut connection with is life before the trip. My mind keeps going back to the fact that he didn't prepare better for his great Alaskan adventure when his trip before college could have ended in disaster as well due to dehydration. I find this sort of selfish as well. This said I really admire Chris for his spirit and the freedom he sought through his trips. I have been traveling the world myself (Never as a leather tramp though) and this is always where I feel best about myself. Basically I cannot wait for my next adventure when I return back home from the previous trip. Furthermore I completely understand Chris need for solitude but I have to say this solitude can be experienced in companion with a good friend or your partner. Sometimes you just have to get out there and get back to the basics of life to really live.
My best thoughts to friend and old colleague doing his own great alaskan adventure right now.

htimsl

Postby htimsl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 pm

No, Chris did not hate anyone. I think he was on a journey to better understand himself.

Before we take on the responsibilities of life in today's society many of us wander, spending time discovering ourselves and living an almost primative existence. Anyone who does not go through a primative existence has no idea what they can do and will spend most of their lives enslaved by their belongings living in constant fear of losing it all. But if you have survived with nothing, you overcome a tremendous fear that most people today have. In that way I think Chris was wired to confront every situation as an adventure and not as a pre-determined set of outcomes...

I think Chris was on his journey and it would have continued had he not fallen on such unfortunate circumstances. There are many Chris McCandlesses in the world today as there always have been. Chris's story stands out because of his tragic demise and in having died as he did he showed us the importance of living each day with purpose and meaning. I wandered a bit when I was a younger man... I think I would like to follow his journey before I die... but I'll do it on my bike... maybe take MY sons on that journey :)

Rest In Peace Chris...

thedharmabum70

Postby thedharmabum70 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 am

In my opinion, I think he just longed to do what we all often fantasize about, escape.
It is our most primitive form to want to survive and Chris most likely longed to experience that in its purest form.

JamesBeckwith

Postby JamesBeckwith » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Chris didn't hate people.. he just hated the society and how bad people treated each other. he hated how people thought money brought them happiness and power.. when clearly it doesn't. Chris in my eyes is an inspirational idol.

bealrd

Postby bealrd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I'd like to think I can understand how he wanted to get away from "normal". I mean, if you think about it, you are always surrounded by people who prioritize vanity, money, career and image. It can easily get to be TO MUCH. to live in a society where shopping for fun is an accepted "hobby" or backstabbing your friends just for the sake of drama, see a good job as the only way to have a future or take everyone's word for "that's just how life is".. you just have to be the same to function like that.

and I know Im not.

I don't hate people, I just don't see the meaning of surrounding myself with those who will never understand where im coming from, who will always explain my behaviour as childish or naive. Then I'd rather be with someone who knows and understands my thruth.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”