Would Chris have liked the hoopla?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Leslie

Would Chris have liked the hoopla?

Postby Leslie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 am

Chris' story changed me. It has brought me to re-evaluate many things in my life. I long for simplicity and beauty in its purest form. However, I cannot help wonder if Chris would be disturbed by all this press. I get the impression he was a private person. Too late now, eh?

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.
...Lord Byron

chloeanne9

Re: Would Chris have liked the hoopla?

Postby chloeanne9 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 am

Part of me thinks that he wouldn't....because, like you said, he seemed to be a very private kind of person. However, I would like to think that if he could look down on the world right now, he might be glad that his story got out. Some people have been truly inspired by Chris' story, and changed their lives because of it. You said so yourself . . . his story changed you. I think in his life he wanted to encourage people to make drastic reforms in their lives(i.e. Ron Franz), and in his death he was still able to do just that.
Think for yourself,Act for others

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:54 pm

I think he would hate the current system of things in society; we live in a fucked up place but Chris' movie has brought so many people to realize what life is all about; pursuing your dreams, not of out greed or selfishness might i add. But i think hed be glad that he is making an impact on lives..

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:50 am

Interesting point, i can't help thinkin of the photo of Chris sitting smiling outside the bus, i think that's what he'd do sit back and smile as the madness unfolded, i think the press stories the rumours etc would annoy the guy, but knowing how he has made such an impact on so many lives would definitely please him! how could it not. anyway what do i know :-)

marcym

Postby marcym » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 am

[quote="Leslie"]Chris' story changed me. It has brought me to re-evaluate many things in my life. I long for simplicity and beauty in its purest form. However, I cannot help wonder if Chris would be disturbed by all this press. I get the impression he was a private person. Too late now, eh?

Your thinking is very delicate, you're very sweet to bring this question.
In my opinion to Chris wouldn't have enjoyed fame but it is likely that he considered the whole charity that is derived from this, so people who receive aid.
I am afraid that between the people who admire him today even those who had known him in life would not have understood and probably would have avoided, thinking of him as a spoiled boy and a little crazy, given the choice to leave the future of material well-being.
I hope to make mistakes but if I right ...I think such people would treat him, because They has many good thoughts but not puts them into practice.
For me he was a boy with character and would not have made trouble to say clear and round his thoughts even at the risk of not being nice to everyone.
I apologize for my English.

Marcym.

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 pm

sadly too late. . . it would be fascinating to know how he felt about the whole situation! and how he has made a difference to so many!

Return to “Discussions on Chris”