Was Chris a hero or a fool?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
secretsaltswimmershs

Re: Was Chris a hero or a fool?

Postby secretsaltswimmershs » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 am

Chris McCandless was definitely not a fool, he was a young man wanting something different. He did what he wanted, which was eventually go to Alaska. I don't think he wanted to prove anything to anyone, it was simply for himself. This is what he achieved.

I wouldn't consider him a hero to others, but rather himself, although his story inspired and motivated many. He didn't go on this journey to become as famous as he is now. Many call him a spoiled, selfish brat who comes from a rich family. But there is more it than that. He didn't have a perfect life and many struggles in his home, thats why he left.

He is not a fool, and a hero to himself, perhaps.

Dawnylove

Postby Dawnylove » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:41 pm

No Chris was no fool, He was Gentle , he was kind, he was brave, he took chances, this story had to be told. I am 39 years old. I grew up much like Chris, I get him so much , unfortunately this world loses sight to what's really important . I love Chris but I know if he wouldn't of past away this story never would of been told. Every single school should show this movie. Some may say Chris was crazy or even a menace but they don't get him, and that's ok. I myself feel blessed to learn of his story. It wasn't really about him going to Alaska , it was more about being one with yourself, taking the time to smell the roses, watch a sunrise, be free of all the static and mundane bullshit in this world. Chris didn't want to die that wasn't in his plans at all, but because he did because he sacrificed we are here learning the real meaning of life. Love , Happiness, even forgiveness. I thank Chris's sister Carine for sharing his story. She really understood him where others may of judged him and never knowing the true blessing in all of us. I think of Chris a lot ever since I stumbled across the movie , sometimes I find myself getting through something just making light of something so tragic because that's what Chris would of done. Nothing stopped him, Chris knew all the rules however the rules did not know him!

A.Alnahdi

Postby A.Alnahdi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:15 pm

i think he was an ordinary person
but:i think he just go with un studeying advantsure
i mean if i want to go in such place like that in the wild i most prepare and take my time to think and study and culekt the information even If my roots are bedwen
and i wanna camping in the desert so Alaska
however we here have saye (its many reasons but the death is one)
stell he was prave and special with good heart ,hope thers many men like hem
محبة
رحمة
سلام
و جمال
هذا يعني انسانية

A.Alnahdi

Postby A.Alnahdi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm

i mean Extraordinary Please forgive my bad English
محبة
رحمة
سلام
و جمال
هذا يعني انسانية

bottleguy

Postby bottleguy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 pm

In my opinion Chris was a fool. He basically put his needs over others and could care less about the people and his parents he hurt along the way. I think he is selfish.

MaryEE

Postby MaryEE » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I personally think that Chris was a hero. He left everything he knew about a normal life and started all over again with a completely different mindset. At first, I thought he was foolish. But after I read more of the book, I realized how courageous and determined he was to make a point. He made a new life for himself and even though it was difficult, he proved that it takes very few things to make a person content in life.

LoafOfBread

Postby LoafOfBread » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 pm

I think Chris is both a hero and a fool because what he did was courageous but also really stupid

Sliceofbread

Postby Sliceofbread » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Something's in life are meant to be a mystery. Whether he was a hero or a fool he was the only one to know the answer. Our opinion doesn't matter because for him the only thing that mattered was his. Even if he was a fool he did something everyone thinks about but doesn't do. He was a hero for that charity giving all that money away, but was a fool because he also needed that money'. No matter how the outcome would've came and how it did come out, he was a hero to some and a fool to others. :!:

Taint35

Postby Taint35 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Through out the book my opinion has changed but I believe right now he is a big idiot fool.

A.Alnahdi

Postby A.Alnahdi » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:14 pm

i think its harsh to call someone fool
special ded people who can't defend about them selfes
he was young and prave with good pure haert
محبة
رحمة
سلام
و جمال
هذا يعني انسانية

Return to “Discussions on Chris”