He's not Jesus

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
naturelover24

He's not Jesus

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 am

Chris seems to be being mistaken with Chris(t). We are putting chris on a pedestal for what he did and the impact he has had on our lives. He's no idol, he is no god so there should be no reason to be living for chris, after all, he is not jesus. he is just a man. a man who did some remarkable things, but a man just like you and i.

naturelover24

Re: He's not Jesus

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 pm

any thoughts?

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Jesus as well was just a man. ;)

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 pm

well, GoNorth, that depends on who you ask. i, from being a former atheist, personally believe he is the true son of God, and has changed my life in ways unimaginable, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:08 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 am

i was just pointing out the IDOLATRY most of us seem to have towards chris, me being one of them. i now realize that he was just a ordinary man who did extraordinary things; things that most humans dont do, live their dreams.

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 am

and salmon, hes not GONE, he's in HEAVEN! :D his destiny was to show people to follow their dreams, and he definitley has done that, and awakened spirituality in my life! :D love y'all!

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturelover24

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:18 pm

hahaha right on man Jah bless! :P :P :P

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 am

GoNorth wrote:Jesus as well was just a man. ;)

This thread, as much as it initially annoyed me, does bring a few things to mind.
First, it made me think of the scene in the movie in which Rainey tells Alex about "this thing" Jan's "been going through real quiet" but that "she's talking about it." Alex says he understands and, when pressed for specifics by Rainey, then remarks that some, like Jan, "walk quietly into empty spaces ... trying to close the gaps to the past" because "they don't feel they deserve love."
Rainey replies, "Jesus! That's a helluva insight. You aren't Jesus, are you?" Alex, looking up at the long-haired Rainey, smiles and says, "Look who's talking."
Rainey continues: "You gonna walk on water, bring her back for me, pal?"
Second, it made me think of one of the photos destined for the covers of the new book, the one from an overexposure showing Chris appearing to walk on water (an allusion to one of the miracle stories in the New Testament).
Third, I thought of Chris' journey. It lasted two years, removed him from his family, and led to some significant relationships (of course, Jesus' brother James and possibly other brothers joined him on his travels). Scholars have estimated the span of the historical Jesus' mission from one to 2 years or slightly longer. Like Chris' journey, Jesus's mission likely began in the spring, as pilgrimages traditionally do. Like Chris, Jesus came into conflict with his relatives, who even attempted to restrain him as a dangerous lunatic (Mark 3.21). Jesus also contended that "the way" meant the renunciation of family and possessions (Mark 10:28-30, with parallels in Matthew and Luke). Jesus insisted on a life of poverty, as many Jewish apocalyptic ascetics did at that time (see the Essenes, and keep in mind that poverty is a relative thing: Jesus's family fell into the lowest of societal strata. He was already dirt poor). Chris embodied this as well as other east Indian beliefs regarding anti-materialism. While there is no record Chris' family believed he was crazy, his disappearance initially baffled and confounded his parents, who made great efforts to find him. The only one who seemed to understand what Chris was doing was Carine. Coincidentally, the only one who understood Jesus on "the way" to Jerusalem was the woman with the alabaster jar who anointed him with oil. In one so-called apocryphal, non-canonical text, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, disciples refer to her as the one who knew Jesus best.
So, there are some interesting parallels.
But what I believe is the most important is that both were quite human but with a supersensory connection to both the world and the spirit world. This is a drive both admired and despised or ridiculed. Personally, I don't understand why it's a problem for some that average human beings end up as conduits for a holy light or whatever you want to call it. I don't need royal lines and virgin births for it to matter. Chris simply wanted to find fulfillment in the best way he knew how.
FWIW, I'm not religious, but I have done a considerable amount of research into religion, particulary Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.
I write this not to anger anyone here. It's my two cents, same as anyone else's.
Last edited by Anewanddifferentsun on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”