Who is doing what chris did??

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
vagabond.cw

Re: Who is doing what chris did??

Postby vagabond.cw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

so i have bad grammar.. hopefully you can get over that... anyhow my name is chris and i have been doing the whole backpacking thing for a little under a year. i started my little adventure about 2 months after watching into the wild and i thought to my self that i ought to just get out and see what the world has.. it was by far the best decision i have yet to make i my 20 years. but i would like to know if any1 would want to go to the bus with me. i am planing a trip up there this summer. i do not have money but that i find is irrelevant. i WILL make it to that bus and i plan to stay a while. but unlike alex i plan to have just a wee bit more supplies. i may seem rather dull but i will make it and i believe that.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:27 am

SteveSalmon wrote:What you should all ask yourselves is, would Chris want you to walk in his footsteps rather than your own?

I think that you all should rather ask yourselves, if YOU really want yourselves to walk in someone else's footsteps instead of your own. ;)

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:51 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 am

vagabond.cw wrote:so i have bad grammar.. hopefully you can get over that... anyhow my name is chris and i have been doing the whole backpacking thing for a little under a year. i started my little adventure about 2 months after watching into the wild and i thought to my self that i ought to just get out and see what the world has.. it was by far the best decision i have yet to make i my 20 years. but i would like to know if any1 would want to go to the bus with me. i am planing a trip up there this summer. i do not have money but that i find is irrelevant. i WILL make it to that bus and i plan to stay a while. but unlike alex i plan to have just a wee bit more supplies. i may seem rather dull but i will make it and i believe that.

There are a number of people talking about going to the bus this summer in some other threads here.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

You also might consider posting your intention to visit the bus on the Hiking The Stampede Trail forum at:

http://hikingthestampedetrail.freeforums.org/

It's March now and as we head into hiking season there will be more people paying attention to that. Site traffic has been up by quite a bit in the last few weeks. Anyway, there are quite a few people in THIS forum that are going, just gotta get ahold of them. And I second Steve, I'd love to hear more about your backpacking adventures.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Jedidiah

Postby Jedidiah » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 am

And I'll third that motion!

paulc

Postby paulc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:10 am

I've read Into the Wild a few times now and it inspired me to do a bit of hitch-hiking. It was great, I felt at one with things on a few occasions.
Yeah society places unnecessary burdens on us, on most of us, and I reckon taking time out to find yourself and love the world again is so right.
I hope one day we see a lot more vagabonds and tramps on our roads - though we need the "farm people" to keep our world running.
Not all of us can do what Chris did. He's inspired me for sure and I love him even though I never met him. I see young people getting out
and taking gap years and coming home changed and that's fantastic. I didn't have the courage or maturity to do that then, I waited til
I was 27, broke and miserable, to go overseas. I believed what was fed to me by parents, uni, all that crap about applying for 100 jobs
and "sticking at it" and using my degree and all that nonsense which doesn't really build character. Many lecturers I knew were boring,
empty people who spoke in monotones. They couldn't help me to become a better person, only life could do that. I needed to get out
of my comfort zone and find out for myself.

If I saw the movie 10 years ago I would have dismissed it. I loved it dearly when I saw it a few years ago, and yes, I reckon he was a person
of courage, conviction and altruism. Not that he was perfect, none of us are but that doesn't matter. What he did was an inspiration to many,
including myself, and when I get a bit down or sad, I pick up the book, read a section, and feel inspired again.

aron3312

Postby aron3312 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:08 am

none of you should do what chris did for 3 reasons.
1. Its dangerous
2. you have family, friends, work, ect that are just as important than your dreams
3. Chris already did it for you. He has already shown you the beauty and dangers that can happen in the path he took.
Take a hike or go camping for a few days and meditate. You dont need to go footloose around the country to find yourself.
I dont relish spoiling your dreams to someday live a life like Chris', but it is sadly good advice.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

What Aaron is saying is actually mostly true (in my opinion.) Adventure involves risk to be certain, and adventure certainly stimulates the soul. If you want to go on an adventure though, tell people where you are going. Leave a plan behind and tell people when you expect to be back. Stay in contact with the people that care about you.

Also don't expect to hit the open road with nothing more than a pack and have some kind of revelation while you are out on the road. I have a few friends who have tried that route. One of my friends was a 'tramp' for about two years. He did eventually seem to satisfy the hole in is life but it was through coming to God rather than by any kind of self discovery.

When I'm home in Alaska, I frequently take off for the weekend and spend time out in nature. Before I was married I would sometimes do this alone. Now it's usually with my wife. I think there is certainly a restorative quality to spending time in the wilderness. Not to make this sound like a religious lecture, but when Jesus needed to reflect what did he do? He went and spent 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness. If it was good enough for Him it's probably good enough for Us.

Just don't try to bite off more than you can realistically chew... at least not without a backup plan. If park rangers have to pull your body out of a river or off a mountain peak, are you really better off for the experience? I don't think even Chris himself would probably argue that one if he were here to do so. I'm sure he would have preferred to come out alive. I'm sure if he had the chance there are certain things he would have done different to ensure his survival.

Just be smart is all I'm saying. Live life to the fullest, but try and stay alive when you do so.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Return to “Discussions on Chris”