motivation

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
wildman

motivation

Postby wildman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:52 am

Why am I so searching for a journey like Chris's, yet sit and wonder if I could take that road? Did he only love solitude? That is the one thing that keeps me here, I could not bear the thought of taking the one I love with me to "the wild"yet ache for it in everyway. I feel his need to "up and disappear" but can't leave my "love". These are things the lucky ones find young, and who have found themselfs early in life. I still seek but have commitment and can't leave,but feel that just one journey like the ones I read about could take this lump out of my back! Make me whole, to see the real "truth" in life! Keep it simple and live life! Some say live the american dream, where is that and what really is it? Will it really make you happy?

naturelover24

Re: motivation

Postby naturelover24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 pm

yeah totally! the american dream is empty and is created by the government, through the media, to get us, by the time we graduate college, to aspire to be a business man and make a lotta money because we want to fit in and we blindly follow what the world is doing. thats suicide. we should find out our true hearts desires and live unselfishly in peace and passion :D at least thats my take, ur thoughts?

Smolderinblue

Postby Smolderinblue » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:45 am

I completely agree! But I have no reason to embark on such a journey, other than to simply experience which would be amazing! But a journey like Chris's can also be taken without as many risks.
And we all have differnt ways of finding one's self.
These are my thoughts on Chris's motivation for his journey.

And being alone I know will not help me. I need a purpose, fulfillment, and meaning to my life to make me whole. You cannot live life so unhappy, and live so pointless and meaning less, and yet we do it everyday! And isn't that exactly what Chris was seeking? Was for a purpose for himself, and maybe to fill voids of empty love and kindness. But that may have been his only mistake. That he didn't fill the voids first. How can you take such a journey without knowing what you are looking for? Or maybe that's what he was looking for all along. But what possible thing, emotion, experience, person, passion, or relationship fill the never ending dept of a void? Something beyond the universe. Something that no human can comprehend. Something beyond the walls of all human understanding. Surpassing the laws of time and space. It never began, so it can never end. It just lives, it just exist. And if you seek that, you will never find it on earth. You find it, when you can understand it, when you open your heart and let it in. Chris died for a reason. To never end but to constantly begin again and again. He died to make his search cease and come to an end. Not his life. He found himself in Alaska; he opened his heart and let his sprit soar. And he did what any other human would do; search for what makes him whole. But aren't we all searching for what completes us, what makes us who we are? And if we give up, do we stay unfulfilled? And then what do we do but rely on human needs and desires, like order, society, love, companionship, family, support, human contact, sex, approval, and entertainment? And some of those things are only for selfish reasons. Wouldn’t someone at least give up one of those things, to find out what completes them, and live not only half a person but whole? Some leave all of those things behind. Like Chris and the few other men and women that "tramped" before him. But then are they truly whole? Or are they mislead? They are whole if some of those things still exist; if not then they are left with empty spaces, with voids. And with no family, no love, no support, no kindness, what are you left with? But with empthy voids? And searching for those things will only make the voids bigger. You cannot replace what you've already lost, you can only fill it with something bigger that yourself. Bigger that the earth and the entire universe. So where do you search? When every spot has been touched? You search the same spot over and over again. Chris went in search to fill his void, to fill his purpose. Into the Wild for the broken hearted and the strong willed. He died for a reason and with a purpose. He died so his voids could be filled. He died to never end. But to always begin again and again. He died as Christopher Johnson McCandless, not as Alexander Supertramp.
"Only the gentle are ever really strong." -James Dean

IOSilver

Postby IOSilver » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I find it hard not to romanticize what Chris did.
When one is having a hard time fitting into a society that feels forced to them, sometimes it's a natural reaction is to withdraw into a space that just "is", devoid of rules & restrictions. A place that is natural as creation itself.
To look outside of oneself at the big picture & reflect on your place within it can be very satisfying.

I know speaking for myself, I feel a sense of belonging in nature that I don't feel anywhere else. There is also something
appealing about feeling insignificant or "lost" that is refreshing to me. I don't have to be accountable & can just "be".
Maybe it's rebellion, running away from day to day constraints & worries but I always feel better after a nature walk.

When I was a teen, I went on a 2 week hiking trip in the mountains with friends. What the Aussies call a "walkabout" & it was a life-changing experience for me. We spent the days chasing sunsets from mountaintop to mountaintop, bathed in ice cold streams, hunted & fished. I will never forget how alive I felt & it became something I began to yearn intensely for after spending too much time tied to a clock. It replenishes me.

That said, I think Chris made the mistake of thinking he could conquer his surroundings & had a euphoric sense of empowerment & priviledge that was unrealistic to the point of being dangerous. I think he left entirely too much up to God.

It is intriguing at times to test the limits of your existence, let go of control & just "be". I think that urge must have
been very compelling to Chris. Like thrill-seekers, In order to feel alive some people must exist on the edge.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:18 am

IOSilver wrote:I know speaking for myself, I feel a sense of belonging in nature that I don't feel anywhere else. There is also something
appealing about feeling insignificant or "lost" that is refreshing to me. I don't have to be accountable & can just "be".
Maybe it's rebellion, running away from day to day constraints & worries but I always feel better after a nature walk.

I know what you mean. I regularly have the same sensation.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”