So Who Here has lived up to Chris' LEGACY?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
naturelover24

So Who Here has lived up to Chris' LEGACY?

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:36 pm

has anyone had the bold courage to do what he did? to shove all the societal pressures aside, the materialistic nature of it, and the greed and selfishness it forces on blind eyes, and go in the wild with just a backpack and some cash?

larrypopham

Re: So Who Here has lived up to Chris' LEGACY?

Postby larrypopham » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 am

Not yet I haven't......but more and more each day I want to go north with just a back pack my own two hands and my head.....I want to go to bus #142

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

i know i havent, but i am working towards it by saving up money and gaining adventure seeking friends/good people who want to humbly change the world :)

anybody else close to doing, or IS doing, what Chris did?

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 am

naturelover24 wrote:has anyone had the bold courage to do what he did? to shove all the societal pressures aside, the materialistic nature of it, and the greed and selfishness it forces on blind eyes, and go in the wild with just a backpack and some cash?

Going into the wild with just a backpack was how Chris was able to shove all the societal pressures, the materialistic nature of it, and the greed and selfishness aside.

That was his way.

There are many ways to do the same as Chris did without heading into the wild.

His journey was really a journey of inner discovery. He chose to do it in the wilderness.

However, there are many people, who take similar journeys of inner discovery by following paths of simplicity which eschew materialism, greed, and selfishness. Leading a life of simplicity and inner contemplation does not have to take place close to nature as it actually unfolds in one's mind and heart.

I'd tell you how I did it, but that would be too boring.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm

yeah true, and im sure it interesting :)

i think, to escape the pressures of society, while in society, your mind is your escape, your best friend.

you can physically be living in society, working, interacting with people in it, but mentally your in a headspace that is lightyears ahead of where you are, and even meditating to escape society.

but that can only last for so long, you'll STILL be in deadly society, so i think sooner or later to escape society you have to physically AND mentally be away from it.

im not saying completely away, like in the middle of nowhere, but far away from buildings, companies, brainwashed fools ;)

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm

JesusIsLove777 wrote:
you can physically be living in society, working, interacting with people in it, but mentally your in a headspace that is lightyears ahead of where you are, and even meditating to escape society.

but that can only last for so long, you'll STILL be in deadly society, so i think sooner or later to escape society you have to physically AND mentally be away from it.

im not saying completely away, like in the middle of nowhere, but far away from buildings, companies, brainwashed fools ;)

There is an alternative: Remove oneself from a society or culture where the values of the majority of people do not coincide with your own. Find a place where you fit in, where people share your values, where you are free to be yourself among strangers.

For Chris, he found such places in Carthage and Slab City.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 am

yes that is super true, great point!! haha those places are away from society while STILL a community! very true my friend! :)

sflanagan21

Postby sflanagan21 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 am

My wife and I live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. Some people will tell you that it's one of the most amazing places in the US and can't argue that. I'm 39 (whitewater raft guide and a snowboard coach) and my wife is 37 (she has a geat job at the Ski Resort) and we have been living our dream since 1997. We are both originally from Atlanta, Ga and we both grew up in middle-class homes. We met while we were both in high school way back in 1989 and both of our families are still living the same lives (and they are happy and we are happy for them) that they were living before we came along.
But in 1997 while still living in ATL my wife (Tracy) and I and our two kids (Courtney and Tyler) made a huge move from Atlanta to Maggie Valley, NC. We both had great jobs and the nice house and 3 vehicles, blah, blah, blah. But we were missing something and had no idea what we were missing and searching for. It didn't take long for us to realize that nature and the outdoors was what we were missing and the key to our happiness. We as a family spent weekends backpacking on the AT and I got into mountain biking. The winter of 1998 I landed a job at our local ski resort and the summer of 99 I became a whitewater raft guide. In 2001 my son Tyler 7 at the time qualified for a USASA National Sonowboarding championships which was held at Mammoth Mtn in Ca. We came out here and feel in love with Mammoth and sold our house and moved to Mammoth in the fall of 2001.
Our daughter Courtney is now 19 and goes to the local community college and our son Tyler who is 19 is now a pro snowboarder (goggle Tyler Flanagan if you are interested). From 1997-present day as a family we have hiked the JMT 221 miles and we spent our first year living in an RV in Mammoth. Prior to us moving to Mammoth we sold our house in Maggie Valley, NC on May 6th 2001 and we all camped out in tents onthe Pigeon River in Tennessee until we moved to mammoth in September 2001. We camped out in Mammoth (tents) for the month of Septemeber while searching for housing and realized that it would make more sense to buy and RV and try Mammoth out before we bought a place. So the winter of 01-02 we lived in a RV in Mammoth. We bought a place in Mammoth in the summer of 02.
From 02-11 our son Tyler has had a number of huge accomplishments, 3 at the X-Games last year and several other podiums over the years. Our daughter has since graduated high school and is currently in college. Tyler has bought his first home and Courtney recently found an apartment in town. Tracy and I just sold our place and bought an RV and are currently "fulltimers". Are plan is to spend the winter months in Mammoth working and to travel all summer long and I will guide if need be for extra cash. We are living our dreams and Chris has been a huge inspiration in our life to never lose focus on our dreams!! We have been in our RV off grid (boondocking) for 2 weeks now and we are both still working our current jobs. By next summer we will be traveling and exploring the US on our own adventure!!
Life is what you want out of it and what you make it, to each his own.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”