Can't get Chris out of my head...

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
pezar

Can't get Chris out of my head...

Postby pezar » Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi, I am 35 and currently live in California. I first bought Into The Wild (the book) when the film came out, and was immediately enthralled. I am Gen X (of course) and we all know the special meaning Chris's story has for us. When I was 19 I defied my parents and moved to downtown San Francisco, sort of my version of entering the wild, the concrete jungle instead of Alaska. Keep in mind I grew up in a safe, wealthy suburb, and moved to the Tenderloin. In SF I learned that I have Asperger Syndrome, and I believe Chris had it too. Today, I take medications. I have a longing to become a wanderer like Chris was, except I'm old enough to not make some of the rash decisions he did. I have no children or significant others, and very little family. I collect disability and also repair PCs. I need to pay off some debts, then I want to buy a small RV and take off. My mom's best friend is going deep underground to avoid the cops and her debtors, she was fired with cause from her job. She has a little fifth wheel and a truck, and plans to wander. I can't help but envy that lifestyle, even as my mom is freaking out. I want to put all my stuff in storage or sell it and then just go. I have never been east of Fallon, Nevada, south of Los Angeles, or north of Red Bluff, CA. I'm missing out on a lot.

Bryan

rdemusis

Re: Can't get Chris out of my head...

Postby rdemusis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 pm

I agree with you. I just saw the movie yesterday (I know I'm a little late to the party here) but I cannot stop thinking about it. Everything today - work, tasks, girlfriends, seems trivial. Like you, I have had my own version of moving into the wild and moved accross the country from the east coast 2x. It is hardly the same thing. It is great to have the opportunity to share these thoughts with others. Suddenly I'm questionning my motivations and actions for everyting I do today. I can't even count how many times I listened to Hard Sun by Vedder today.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”