Chris' Belongings.

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
ellisd

Chris' Belongings.

Postby ellisd » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 pm

I have a few questions/theories about chris' belongings. i was watching the call of the wild documentary on chris. great stuff, well not be a spoiler or anything, near the end of the film, when Ron is at the head of stampede trail, he is talking with will forsberg, who in the fall of 1992 found chris' backpack with $300 and all types of ID. Note, the Documentary was filmed 3-4 years ago. i emailed Ron, who agrees 100% it is indeed chris' pack and ID, cash etc, which i happen to agree with. now a few months ago, coming acorss a interview with jan burress, she claims she admired chris's "killer kelty backpack".

then it clicked..i rewatched the will forsberg footage, compared thew pack he held to the one sometimes pictured with chris in some of his photos, but i couldnt make a good ID ont it, due to the blurriness of the pics. so i took some screen shots and plan on emailing them to kelty to see if indeed it is one of there old packs. But then a good pal pointed out...how in the heck did troopers miss it?! not only did they miss the pack, but the signs he posted for help showed his name... the one saying he was out picking berries and injured, and the one saying his final goodbye. so now i wonder, does will still have the pack? where is the rest of chris' belongings? like his belt? i know Carine got his gun and some other stuff, when she came to alaska.

But why was his stuff left there? his camping gear, his boots,jeans etc..Krakauer reported in the book he went to the bus in 93 a year after chris passed away and it was like entering chris' bedroom, with the feeling chris would come back at any moment to gather his stuff and hit the trail. i'd hate to think of more people stealing his stuff or just trashing it, if it was left out there. once i hear something from kelty, if i do, i will post it on here if anyone else is interested in finding out more about this.

SteveSalmon

Re: Chris' Belongings.

Postby SteveSalmon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:50 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 pm

now, thats something!! it is so very very possible for that 'altercation' to form, and then happen. i mean, will did know of the bus, and maybe had a hunch, after being told by the park ranger that wills cabin, among others, had been trashed, he thought maybe someone was out at this bus, never told the ranger this theory, and went out by himself or with who know's who OR what and confronted chris. and why does will still have the pack, you think he would turn it in to the family, or at the very least authorities.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 am

SteveSalmon wrote: what if he tracked Chris to the bus and there was an altercation of some sort? Was this the injury described in Chris' note?

Interesting theory, but wouldn't Chris have mentioned such a thing in whatever way in his notes?

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 am

FYI, Kelty's been making internal frame backpacks since 1974. Chris more than likely had a Tour Pack (it would have been readily available at the time, and it only came in blue).

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:21 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm

SteveSalmon wrote:@GoNorth- If he ever wrote a note, dont you think it would be taken/destroyed if this scenario were true? I do.

Sure. However I still think this would have been rather difficult, as he had written all these notes on the empty pages of this plant book, with a number for each day. So first of all, Forsberg or whoever would have had to know where to find these notes before anyone else took them away and then modify the notes and so on... Well, honestly...

But hey, why not create an extra thread in this forum about unanswered questions and weird theories? :mrgreen: After all, so many things still remain unclear.

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm

SteveSalmon wrote:@Ascetic- Kelty actually started in the '50's, Did you mean they started making the INTERNAL frame style in the 70's?

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Ascetic wrote:FYI, Kelty's been making internal frame backpacks since 1974. Chris more than likely had a Tour Pack (it would have been readily available at the time, and it only came in blue).

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 pm

GoNorth wrote:But hey, why not create an extra thread in this forum about unanswered questions and weird theories? :mrgreen: After all, so many things still remain unclear.

that is exactly why i posted this thread, to discuss things of that nature. but i used this pack theory to start it up.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:59 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”