Christopher McCandless

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Tacdriver

Re: Christopher McCandless

Postby Tacdriver » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35 pm

i wouldlove to read his journals

lisachat

Postby lisachat » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Davidd
I've been thinking about your post, and I think you hit it on the head. The reason Chris' story resonates with people is because many of us do "Go into the wild" in many different ways, for many different reasons. A natural human response to pain and fear is "fight or flight". Very often it feels the best choice is to escape, the "flight" option.. I agree, we all do it in different ways. Drugs and alcohol are definitely a way of checking out when life is too painful. Chris, as an idealist, probably felt he was so different from others, that nobody could relate to him. Also, when traumatic things happen in childhood, a child very often puts up defense mechanisms to cope with the pain. Sometimes they lose the ability to connect with people, because doing so got them so badly hurt. The child cannot form normal object relationships which include connecting with others. It is a very natural human response to trauma. And just to also put it out there, he could have been experiencing mental illness such as bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia, which usually manifests in young adulthood. Either way, to me what is important about Chris' story is what you said. What I feel is important is the reason he went "Into the wild"- to find his genuine "self". Not the one who had to jump through hoops, and conform to society, to continue to experience pain in his interactions with judgmental people, but the authentic person he felt he was inside. I think we all long at times to escape. To have the freedom to be who we want to be, free of judgment. It isn't important to me to analyze why he didn't come out. There are many different things that could be a factor, that we will never know. But, Chris did impact people. He has inspired many to look deeper into themselves, to question authority and what is "supposed" to look like success in this world. It has made many people realize that material posessions are nothing compared to the bliss of peace of mind. Living the simple life, free of all the chains of materialism, capitalism, competition, would be so freeing. Chris inspired in us the longing to be unique, to be self-aware, to not conform, and to go for whatever we want out of this life with courage, joy and gusto!! Anyway, that's what it inspired in me!

lisachat

Postby lisachat » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:49 pm

I forgot to add that I was inspired as well by the insight Chris had at the end of his journey, (well in the movie anyway) that forgiveness is the key. To accept others as they are, faults and all. I hope to think if Chris would have made it out of the wild, he would have learned how to love and accept himself and others as flawed human beings, trying to do the best they can! It's true that forgiveness is a gift to yourself. To me, finding God, or a higher power is the key to happiness. Focusing outside ourselves is the best way to be fulfilled and build meaning in our lives. I still struggle with forgiveness, some days are better than others, but it is the ultimate goal.

mike

Postby mike » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 am

I really am happy I found this forum.

I really was inspired by Chris and his story a few years ago reading this in high school. Being the typical high school student I thought it was going to be some sappy book that I will have to hate, which was completely untrue. I honestly fell in love with Chris and his story. Growing up and being the odd kid out who chose not to party or not to conform to everyone around me, I always felt in somewhat of a personal solitude. I have been debating for the past few months if it would be wise to train hop or hitch hike somewhere because I can't handle society anymore. I can't handle these swayed politics of everyday people, I can't handle their materialistic lifestyles that leave our planet and environment in shackles. Not enjoying college one bit and sick of the debt it is going to bring to me I really am considering dropping everything, selling off my life, and going somewhere that my parents know I'll love them but I can't see them ever again. I feel what Chris was going through after graduation college is what I'm starting to go through. I'm sick of society, people, the government, big business, everything. While I'll always love the people that touched my life and will never forget them, I feel I need to get away. This is the only way out other than suicide or working a full-time job and hating every single minute of my life.

lisachat

Postby lisachat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Mike,
You are so young. Have you thought about going to China or Africa or somewhere to do humanitarian service? I know kids who have done this and it's changed their lives. You can find scholarships for these programs if you research it well online etc. Sometimes you need to get outside yourself and focus on helping others to gain a new perspective on life. As Gandhi said: Be the change you want to see in the world.

mike

Postby mike » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:49 pm

I haven't even thought about that. My uncle is over in China right now and I'd love to find a way there to say hi. The thing is I gave my money away and got rid of my bank account so I'm broke. I've train hopped a few times but to no where cool. I was really looking to do a Walden Pond type of adventure.

I should look into those, though. I worked for Green Peace a good while and they do programs like that, just never researched about it.

magik_Bu5

Postby magik_Bu5 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Seldom has a movie (or anything else) touched me as the portrayal of the incredible young man, in the movie. I was a bit older than he, when "Supertramp" met his demise, but I can relate to his empathy for social justice that he apparently had for humanity - I wonder where did that all get lost in my own journey. I thank Jon Krakauer for telling us McCandless awesome (although, tragic) story and to Sean Penn's great adaptation of it. I hope, you forgive me (and I don't usually share my poems with ANYONE), but please let me indulge myself with this poem, in tribute to the man & his story:

The shrouded mist, that casts its pale upon the morn;
To view the heights, from which Olympus charms.
With content in his heart,
With these word I express:

How long the meandering brook;
How long its journey took,
To fly the way as the eagle soars,
To reach that place, but much too soon.

Heavy hearts that fills my soul
For I, like him, doth make the pilgrimage;
But unlike him, fear; nay, indifference keeps
Me marooned.

So, I say to you "Supertramp",
I knew you not,
But the many kindred souls you've touched
With a smile, a prayer, and empathy -
I'm glad to have known thee - albeit, from afar,
And wish you well.

Kindred spirits

Postby Kindred spirits » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:00 am

lisachat wrote: I rented the movie because I love Eddie Vedder, I believe his score was inspired. He is a true genius. I will now read the book.

Please let us know what you think and you feel once you've read the book. You can also download the audio version via torrents if you can't find it or want to 'read' it soon. I know I had quite a different take on the reality of the book and would be interested to hear how others felt.

danitaly

Postby danitaly » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Cheers Hello, I am a boy of 26 years has remained literally fascinated by the film by Chris Mc Candless,
I bought and read the book by Jon Krakauer ...
Searching the Internet other news I came across your site, complete and done really well, then I hit a lot photos of Chris,
Those that jon k. describes in the film, especially the last timer ...
To think that he did it knowing he died, but smiling is good, but at the same time disturbing ...
I live in Italy, near Venice ...
A year ago I married Clare, and how our honeymoon we were in the United States, first in New York and then in maccchina around California, and even going in the Grand Canyon where it was too chris, as a los angeles and Las Vegas ..
I was fascinated by all these posts .. find natural wonders like the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Death Valley ...
We made many photos, so many videos ... but they are places that can not be described well, we go ...
Chris Mccandless did, had her great adventure ..
I think that the film, the book ... I liked the story and liked it a lot of people because COMn said Emile Hirsch, the atttore in a special interview that is included on the DVD, we would all like to live a 'ADVENTURE way, but we have things that prevent the ce ...
Practical matters as work, family, but I think it is inside each of us the desire to drop everything and go backpacking ..
Congratulations again for your site, I was going to write this email because as I already said the film struck me how much your site ...
Hello
Daniel, Treviso ITALY

caroldrums

Postby caroldrums » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 am

I read the book and watched the movie, amazing.
There are few things that i would like to share with you and get your opinion on, though.
Did Chris choose to die, comitted suicide, or did he simply "fuck up" the calculations for when to get out of the wilderness?
Do you think he would've continued hitch hiking through america and maybe extend to other continents too or he would've whent back to his life, got a career, because what had to be done was done?
Finally, In the beginning of the book he says "you are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God's place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things. " but in the end he writes " HAPPINESS IS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED". Did he rethink the thought? Was he not happy about going to the wilderness? what were his feelings?

Now, i would love for your opinions and comments, I'm majoring in Philosophy and wanted to know your opinion on these complex questions.
Thank you, Supertramps!

Return to “Discussions on Chris”