Christopher McCandless

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
GoNorth

Re:

Postby GoNorth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 pm

First of all, we will never know exactly what Chris really thought or felt, of course.

Personal impressions?

caroldrums wrote:Did Chris choose to die, comitted suicide, or did he simply "fuck up" the calculations for when to get out of the wilderness?

Well, this seems to be quite obvious. Many things seem to show that he wanted to live. But especially: if he had wanted to die, he would not have written the SOS-note, for example.

caroldrums wrote:Do you think he would've continued hitch hiking through america and maybe extend to other continents too or he would've whent back to his life, got a career, because what had to be done was done?

No idea. Perhaps he didn't know this himself? ;)

caroldrums wrote:Finally, In the beginning of the book he says "you are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God's place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things. " but in the end he writes " HAPPINESS IS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED". Did he rethink the thought?

First of all, it seems he went "into the wild" to kind of find himself and this can naturally include that one rethinks certain things, why not.
But I don't really see a contradiction between these two thoughts here, if you have a closer look at them.
In the film he said this to "Ron", but the real Chris wrote it to him in a letter, not long before leaving for Alaska:
"You are wrong if you think joy emanates only or principally from human relationships..."
The note he wrote while starving in the bus read: "Happiness only real when shared"

Sharing happiness with others does not necessarily mean that this happiness has to emanate from the relationship to these "others"; it can also be anything else that "God has placed all around us".
Or am I wrong about that? I don't know. Anyway, that's how I think about these things.

Would be interesting to read further opinions.

Kathy

Re: Christopher McCandless

Postby Kathy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

I do not believe that Christopher McCandless was 'Nuts' as many people believed him to be. He was just a jung boy that did not find his place in the world and went looking for it.
Christopher McCandless overestimated himself and underestimated Nature. Going into the wild without having any idea what is waiting for one is careless. Believing that you can survive with nothing except the bar minimum is, not so much 'nuts' but foolish especially when one does not know the place.
In one way McCandless was a Hero, he was determined and had his own believes, that he followed up on.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat May 01, 2010 2:28 am

After reading the book I don’t think Chris was totally “nuts”, however too overconfident and reliant on his abilities to survive. He thought knew what he was doing and had a lot of experience from his earlier voyages. He has lived the life that was best for him: An escape from the pressure and expectations put onto him by society due to his intelligence and successful parents. He has managed to escape society, unfortunately with a fatal end, but this is something that we should respect.

NickJames

Postby NickJames » Sat May 01, 2010 4:18 am

Dear TacDricer;
I cannot honestly say that i know what it feels like to be going through what you are going through. But if you have watched the movie of Chris McCandless, remember the part where he meets the old man and his family was also killed and he wasn't taking it very well. Chris Said, " your going to live a long time." and that is true for you as well. I think that what ever had happened to your family, where ever they are now, they would not want you to be in such horrible pain. I know that it is hard to move on after something so devastating, but maybe it is time for a serious life change. I do not know much about you or your situation, but i felt like maybe you need some uplifting from a stranger. Just know that i will be thinking about your well fare, I hate to see my fellow man in such turmoil.

On a separate note, I like this forum posting a lot, Lisachat, you had a ton of inspiring words, i really appreciate those. I once had the idea to venture off as Chris did ( much better prepared of course) and still to this day dream of doing this. But i think i have changed my views a bit, if any of you all can find the time to watch the documentary "alone in the wilderness" about richard preonnoke, it will inspire you even further to take to the wild. I actually want to sustain a life away from society, i am pushed to the edge of how my life has been going so far. I am only 22 years old and have gone through some serious physical and mental issues. quite recently i contemplated suicide, i was very unhappy with myself and my life, and then i happen to come accross the movie into the wild, which totally changed my life, and my view of life in general. I view it as a god sent, i am suppose to have seen that movie, i am supposed to follow this direction. My life is meant to be taken into the wild.
I am tired now and must sleep, i hope to keep in contact with those writting on this forum, Tacdriver, please take care of yourself. and respond when you can i'de like to hear how you are doing.
TAKE CARE ALL,
-the best luck to everyone,
Nicholas James

MaryLorraine

Postby MaryLorraine » Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 pm

I saw this movie last April, and it took me months to be able to see it again. I read the book as well. I am drawn by this story so much, and think about what Chris must have gone through. My own teenage children are growing up and questioning the world -- I only hope I can keep them safe somehow. This story brings out all of my thoughts and emotions regarding loneliness, wilderness, and my children. How haunting! My heart goes out to his family, especially his sister, and those who loved him along his journey.

denbo

Postby denbo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:26 am

One final thought on Chris....what were you doing when you heard?

I am sure Chris didn't screw up! Chris dreamed and lived an adventure! Now Chris's life is inspirational to all of us. Chris is mysterious and charismatic to us now as his story lives on! How I wish I was there sharing the adventure and whispering thoughts on timing and what not to do! Best wishes to his family.

I have shared this note other places and wanted to place it here too!..........

I am not so surprised that so many people are checking into the Bus that was in the movie. I myself was at the Bus, but it was many years before Chris was there. Feeling the rapture of nature myself and a big fan of the "Hemmingway's adventures of a young man mentality" I went to Alaska in seach of the "White Noise" reality of standing out in the arms of Mother Nature so she could hold me there. I found out about the Bus by asking in stores and bars about local sites of interest and the bus was mentioned in a bar. I arranged to meet the owner of the (land) bus and paid him so I could stay there at a later date. The movie about Chris was chilling as I recalled my own trip to the bus and the desolate, thrilling commune with nature. I also saw "Call Of The Wild" about Chris. Chris's story brings to mind Alexander The Great's world travels and how Chris's story is scaled down in magnitude from that. Alexander The Great vs. Alexander Sewper Tramp. You can tell Chris was a great reader because he treasured his books as he traveled and buried them under his bridge home so he could retrieve them later instead of getting more copies.

I too have best wishes for the preservation of the bus and it's contents now that it has superceded a mere point of travel interest into a icon/relic/shrine from the movie industry and daily life, much like Zabriskie Point. By the way..... What is the point of Zabriskie point? Any way.... to any one who reads this..... please take care if you travel out in the wilderness, be prepared and be respectful. Also a kind thought goes out to the McCandless Family on their tragic loss. I remember the sequence of news blurbs as they searched for Chris and the final note when they found him at the Bus and stark realization I had been there. Chris had found out about the hitch hikers/tramping circuit too and now I am thinking the "Bus" will become a part of that "Tramping Lore".

Imagine that.... people are remembering where they were when they heard about Chris!

I watch the Movie a lot too!

Good luck to all in your travels! Denbo!

stilltrekker

brilliant observation

Postby stilltrekker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:22 pm

[quote="hunterdavidd"]

I don't think it could be said any better than hunterdavidd said it:

We all go into the wild at some point. We all do it differently. Some of us come out and some of us don't.

Red2

Postby Red2 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 am

Hi There,
My daughter and myself watched 'Into the wild' last night and where both moved by Chris's story. Although ultimatley very tragic, Chris's bravery to shy away from the life style so many of Us ride like a merry-go-round that we struggle to get off, leaves an important message for many of Us.
Society has become more materialistic and we have created a framework of working to provide more money to buy bigger houses, bigger cars, package holidays, too much food and clothes and lots of 'stuff' we don't actually need. And in many cases we're indoctrinated into thinking we need these things and it will make Us happy.
I got made redundant four years ago and I set up my own little business and work part time, I don't have the money I use to have but guess what? I'm so much happier because I have more time to spend with my girl friend, family and friends, or sometimes I just spend time quietly on my own out in the woods or walking by the canal. And do you know I never needed as much money as I thought I did when I was working full time.
When you slow everything right down then you get to see a little of what Chris was on about....a lot of people are rushing through their lives to the grave with barely anytime to enjoy or appreciate what many of Us have been given.
Although Chris wrote early on in his diary that you didn't need people to be happy he ultimately found out that it's not the experiences we go through in life it's the people we share them with that matter most.
I read Sherry Simpson's (Anchorage Press ) scathing comments regarding Chris, typical lazy, sensationalistic journalisim that missed the whole reason why people are moved by Chris's story. Simpson seems to think that a privileged upbringing should some how make you totally contented with the World.
I dare say most people would say that Chris was unprepared and foolish to take on the great Alaskan Outdoors without a greater knowledge of what he was up against, and yes for Me keeping his family 'out of the loop' during his travels was both selfish and uncaring.
But not everyone can live in the societies we build and some find it much more difficult than others. We only have to see the people who roam our City streets and sleep rough at nights, people living in there own urban 'into the wild'.
Chris took his beliefs to the extreme and paid a high price for that but his story tells Us that we shouldn't always accept things because ' that's the way they are' or because we feel we have to conform. We should make time for our friends and family (something that Chris realised at the end of his life) and most importantly we shouldn't rush through the lives we've been given, now and again we should stand and stare and appreciate whats all around Us.
'Hunter Davidds' post was very insightful and perfectly summed up what people think will make them happy and when they get there they're confused because in many cases it isn't wealth and possessions.
Thanks to Jon Krakauer, Sean Penn and Ron Lamothe Chris's story has been wildly publicised and will undoubtably touch and save many a soul.
My final thoughts are with Chris's family and friends as his final years must have been very difficult for them.

valen85

Postby valen85 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 am

Chris´s story should be know by everyone! he is a true hero, he has been a big inspiration in my life and I have learnt so many things from him. I just can´t explain how big the impact in my life is from his experience. He has made me want to be a better person, his thoughts, his way of seeing life, his life style.
I feel blessed to know a little bit of Chris, and to keep getting to know him, he has changed me forever.

valen85

Postby valen85 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 am

It is amazing how one man's life can change so many others. Chris, certainly did, and he did it in a big way for many people, and will keep on doing that, im sure. I wont say he saved my life, but he sure changed my life in a BIG way. I have been struggling with many problems the last few months, and after re/watching the movie and going through his story again this last 3 weeks I have come to the conclusion that we need to worry less and enjoy life more. We cant quit our lives, but we sure can change them, and everyday there is a new opportunity to do it. We can do anything! we need to fight for what we want and what we believe in, we need to believe in ourselves again.

i love this phrase "I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong." and after all these hard months, i feel strong again. gracias

Return to “Discussions on Chris”